Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello from Vancouver

Hey everyone. I have lurked for awhile, but finally taken the plunge and signed up.

I used to be a long time Canon fan, started off with an F1, Ftb until my friend decided to give me her K1000 and help me see the light. The Canons were all sold and used to finance a K100D which I absolutely LOVED, but after 6 years it was time for it to move on and it went to a lady who was trying to learn photography and wanted a used camera to practice.

So I finally bought myself a Christmas present and got a K50 in stormtrooper white. Then got an O-GPS1 and I plan to do some astrophotography, if the skies above Vancouver ever decide to clear up.

01-06-2016, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having bad weather. That being said, one of the disadvantages of living in a big city is something astronomers call "light pollution", and it can sometimes be an even worse curse than overcast. Trust me, as someone who's travelled very far away from anything even resembling a city in the dark of a clear night - to get the best astrophotography, you really should (as the old cowboy films used to say) get the hell out of Dodge. Preferably put a mountain range between you and the nearest large city. Even Kelowna or Kamloops may be too big. Then and only then look skyward in search of true wonder.

Having done this and seen the Milky Way and BOTH Magellanic Clouds with the naked eye is a mind-blowing experience. No drugs are required, though binoculars help. A telescope is better for lunar or planetary astronomy - e.g. the moons of Jupiter - or seeing such impressive sights as the stars of Alpha Centauri as the binary-plus-one that they actually are (if that's even possible from Vancouver; it's been a while since I knew my constellations well). But the wide field offered by binoculars may be better for stars.
01-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well I live in the suburbs so my sky is not THAT bad, the houses seem to block a lot of stray light. However, I get what you say about getting out of Dodge. A few years ago I went to the Mt Kobau star party in Osoyoos. You're camping on a 5000 ft high mountain, absolutely no light pollution and you can see the Milky Way. In fact it was so amazing, you could see things just by starlight.

And although getting to see Centaurus from 55 degrees North is a challenge in the city, because of things at the horizon, from 5000 ft up, you could see the teapot of Sagittarius. Truly amazing.
01-06-2016, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, be careful not lose that Stormtrooper in all the white Winter weather you get over there.

01-06-2016, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. I recently purchased an O-GPS1 unit for my K-5IIS to do some astrophotography also. I went out one day and did some successful Precise Calibrations. I was so glad to learn the basics of what actual movements were effective and succeeding. I too am looking forward to a situation where the sky is predominantly clear and it is not so cold. I usually don't mind the cold, but I discovered today that the skin on my hands is starting to crack, so I am going to be careful and do something when it is appropriate. I would really like to achieve some nice celestial images. Good luck and happy shooting!
01-07-2016, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #6
Closed Account

Hi mylittlepwny. Welcome aboard the forum. Looking forward to seeing some photographs from your new present.
01-07-2016, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Hello from across the Strait (or Sea, if you will)!

01-07-2016, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome from Alabama
01-07-2016, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
01-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Hello from across the Strait (or Sea, if you will)!
Hello hello..!! Damn I am so envious, you guys have some amazing dark skies on the island.
01-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I spend a fair amount of time in Seattle due to work and I try to make it out to Vancouver as often as I can as a side trip. It is an absolutely gorgeous city!
01-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to see some of your photos.