Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Finally signing on...

Over the last few years, my searches for info about Pentax family cameras and lenses have frequently brought me to data, articles, and discussions here, so it's about time I quit being a lurker and joined in the discussion. I'm in rural west-central Illinois, between Peoria, Macomb, and Springfield, a place where support for film photography is fading fast...my nearest Walgreens stopped developing c-41 rolls in the past year and the place they send film to now doesn't give you back your negatives -- perish the thought of that! One of the things I love about Pentax is being able to straddle film and digital with the same lenses, some of them being lenses a lot older than the clerk at the Walgreens. The idea of keeping historic technology alive has always appealed to me, witness my vinyl record collection, and few hundreds of earlier 78rpm lacquer disks, and preserving my parents old Kodaks from the 1920-30s and many of the snapshots they took on B&W 120 and 127 film.

I'm looking forward to taking part in the discussions here.

01-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!
01-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, and I hope we can all learn a thing or two from each other. If you're into historic technology I have a bunch of slide rules I can start spamming you with pictures of, and I sometimes even use them for stuff!

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
perish the thought of that!
Indeed. IMO the negatives are and have always been the photographer's personal property - to not return them borders on the criminal.

One of the things I love about Pentax is being able to straddle film and digital with the same lenses, some of them being lenses a lot older than the clerk at the Walgreens.
That depends on the clerk (I've seen a few well into middle age), but yes, I know what you mean. I don't feel all that old, but then I remember that I'm older than every K mount lens (and camera). I have to go back to my Spotmatic and Super Takumars to find Pentax gear that's older than me, and even then it depends on exactly when they came out of the factory. Compare that to some of us, who are barely older than the DA series!!!
01-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Welcome. Keeping old film lenses in use is also something I'm interested in. Its so great to be able to keep using them. And LP records. We think alike.

01-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
. . . .Compare that to some of us, who are barely older than the DA series!!!

In the late 1950s, a "DA" was part of a popular hair style for teen boys....anybody who remembers that is older than some screw-mount Takumars! I still have some screw-mount lenses, too, one a nice Ashi Super-Takumar f/1.8 55mm, that I got as an upgrade for the f/2.8 normal lens that came with my first 35mm camera a Ricoh TLS Singlex. The only screw mount body I currently have is a Vivitar XC-4. Of course, with an adapter, the Takumar can even go on my K110D.
01-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi goatsNdonkey. Welcome to the forum. Your appreciation of old and new compatibility means you will fit in very well here.
01-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Over the last few years
Welcome, I can tell you tend not to rush into things.
01-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to see some of your photos.

01-15-2016, 04:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Welcome from Alabama!
01-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from a fellow new member. Saw your name and had to say hi. We live in a rural area near Eugene, OR. We raised Boer/Nubian crosses for ten years but semi retired now and have reduced the herd down to 10. Looking forward to kidding season. Only 2 months away. Kid goats are natural photographic subjects. We have Cider, our Great Pyr to guard the goats but no donkey. Wife still wants one though.
01-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Welcome from a fellow new member. Saw your name and had to say hi. We live in a rural area near Eugene, OR. We raised Boer/Nubian crosses for ten years but semi retired now and have reduced the herd down to 10. Looking forward to kidding season. Only 2 months away. Kid goats are natural photographic subjects. We have Cider, our Great Pyr to guard the goats but no donkey. Wife still wants one though.

We haven't ventured into kidding or large herding. We just have three dairy goat breed wethers, two Alpines and one Saanen, who were raised together from bottle babies for a year and a half before we got them. We got the donkey a year later (a year and a half ago), when his former owners were moving to a city and couldn't take him. So far we haven't had the goats and donkey together in the same barnyard of pasture, though we think we'll be trying that this spring. The donkey has had some behavior problems, but seems to be mellowing and getting more comfortable being in a new home, and even in recent months has sometimes nuzzled with Saanen over the fence between them. Oh, I left out the four hens, and hound-pointer mix dog. If you are thinking about getting a donkey, keep in mind that they tend to not like canines, a good thing if the canine is a coyote or feral dog stalking your goats, but might be a concern if it's your dog. Also, not everything in one read's in the books about donkeys will necessarily apply to an individual donkey!
01-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

We haven't ventured into kidding or large herding. We just have three dairy goat breed wethers, two Alpines and one Saanen, who were raised together from bottle babies for a year and a half before we got them. We got the donkey a year later (a year and a half ago), when his former owners were moving to a city and couldn't take him. So far we haven't had the goats and donkey together in the same barnyard of pasture, though we think we'll be trying that this spring. The donkey has had some behavior problems, but seems to be mellowing and getting more comfortable being in a new home, and even in recent months has sometimes nuzzled with Saanen over the fence between them. Oh, I left out the four hens, and hound-pointer mix dog. If you are thinking about getting a donkey, keep in mind that they tend to not like canines, a good thing if the canine is a coyote or feral dog stalking your goats, but might be a concern if it's your dog. Also, not everything in one read's in the books about donkeys will necessarily apply to an individual donkey!

Just recently bought a K-50. All our goat photos were taken with our little Canon P&S so looking forward to increasing the quality of shots like this one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SX100 IS  Photo 
01-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great picture!
01-20-2016, 08:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks gNd. Goats looking a bit shabby right now with their winter coats but hope to update pics soon with the K-50. You say you have 3 wethers. Did you get them for brush control? That's how we got started. We got two does. Then three more. Then we got a buck. At our peak we were running between 60 and 70 goats.

I'll try not to post too many goat pics but for now here's three more from our trusty Canon Power Shot taken a few years back.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
01-21-2016, 06:43 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from Northeast IL.