Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #1

wildlife/landscape photos

I plan to visit Alaska later this year. What tips can you provide me to get ready for my visit plus what lenses should I purchase or rent to get some nice landscape and wildlife photos? I have a pentax k500 with 2 kit lenses, 18-55 & 50-200. Is there websites where I can rent lenses for my K500 DSLR camera?

01-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Yes, there are several rental places online. LenRentals. CameraLensRentals.
01-23-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LensRentals.com - Rent Pentax equipment.

Without knowing how much experience you have or where you are going it is hard to make much of a recommendation. I would personally rent a 150-450 but unless you have some good experience with long glass and a good tripod or at least a monopod you might just be carrying a very heavy lens around for no gain.

You have 18 to 200 covered so I would look at an ultra wide, such as the Sigma 10-20 or the Pentax 12-24. If renting go with the 12-24 if you can. You might also want something a little longer. I might be tempted to swap your 50-200 for the Pentax 55-300 but a better choice might be to keep the 50-200 and rent a DA*300.
01-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi wwhite10. Welcome to the forum. Good luck in Alaska. Looking forward to seeing the photographs from your trip.

01-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, that sounds like a trip of a lifetime, please post some images on your return.

As for lenses... it's really hard to say without knowing your style and type of photography, but guessing you'll needing the longer end to ensure you don't get eaten yourself.
01-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
LensRentals.com - Rent Pentax equipment.

Without knowing how much experience you have or where you are going it is hard to make much of a recommendation. I would personally rent a 150-450 but unless you have some good experience with long glass and a good tripod or at least a monopod you might just be carrying a very heavy lens around for no gain.

You have 18 to 200 covered so I would look at an ultra wide, such as the Sigma 10-20 or the Pentax 12-24. If renting go with the 12-24 if you can. You might also want something a little longer. I might be tempted to swap your 50-200 for the Pentax 55-300 but a better choice might be to keep the 50-200 and rent a DA*300.

I hope I am doing this right. I think I'm a beginner base on your response but I been taken photos for myself for a long time now with my two SLR cameras and a tamron 75-300 4-5.6 I purchased many years ago. Now taken photos with my Pentax DSLR I purchased couple years ago. I think I have little experience now using my Pentax DSLR but I'm still learning. I'm thinking maybe renting a long glass, fix DA 300 and take it to the local zoo and shoot many wildlife photos before traveling to Alaska. Again, thanking you for your response
01-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took my first trip to Alaska last August, here's my take based on my experience.

I spent most of my time shooting animals. The versatility of the Sigma 50-500 was indispensable. most of the people I was with were shooting Canon 100-400's and there were times in Geographic Harbor I was going from 500mm to 50mm in consecutive shots.
I would also suggest something versatile like the 18-135 WR for a walk-around lens.
I used my 12-24 for a couple of landscapes and one timelapse. You could probably get away without it.

pretty much everything else stayed in the bag.

Take a small compact camera as a backup in case something breaks. Also be sure to have plenty of memory cards and spare batteries.
If you do decide to take a long lens, make sure you get a tripod and practice with it first.

I'm not sure if you're going on a tour, but if you are, your guide should be able to help you.

You'll love it in Alaska, enjoy yourself.

01-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wwhite10 Quote
I hope I am doing this right. I think I'm a beginner base on your response but I been taken photos for myself for a long time now with my two SLR cameras and a tamron 75-300 4-5.6 I purchased many years ago. Now taken photos with my Pentax DSLR I purchased couple years ago. I think I have little experience now using my Pentax DSLR but I'm still learning. I'm thinking maybe renting a long glass, fix DA 300 and take it to the local zoo and shoot many wildlife photos before traveling to Alaska. Again, thanking you for your response
That sounds like a great idea to practice at the zoo. How will you be traveling - car, train, cruise?
01-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Forum. Do post your photos when you get the chance.
01-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
That sounds like a great idea to practice at the zoo. How will you be traveling - car, train, cruise?

All three modes of transportation to the zoo, and Alaska

---------- Post added 01-25-16 at 07:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
I took my first trip to Alaska last August, here's my take based on my experience.

I spent most of my time shooting animals. The versatility of the Sigma 50-500 was indispensable. most of the people I was with were shooting Canon 100-400's and there were times in Geographic Harbor I was going from 500mm to 50mm in consecutive shots.
I would also suggest something versatile like the 18-135 WR for a walk-around lens.
I used my 12-24 for a couple of landscapes and one timelapse. You could probably get away without it.

pretty much everything else stayed in the bag.

Take a small compact camera as a backup in case something breaks. Also be sure to have plenty of memory cards and spare batteries.
If you do decide to take a long lens, make sure you get a tripod and practice with it first.

I'm not sure if you're going on a tour, but if you are, your guide should be able to help you.

You'll love it in Alaska, enjoy yourself.

Thank you for your response. The info will help me greatly I'm thinking renting a long lens and use it at the local zoo before I go to Alaska
I suspect the 50-500 lens for my Pentax K500 would be pretty expensive so instead purchasing the lens maybe renting the lens.
How was the Alaska in August, rain, temperature and wildlife sightings? I'm doing a cruise and land tour.

Do you think my Pentax kit lenses, 18-55 and 50-200 will be useful for the trip?
Again, thank you!
01-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had great weather. You have to remember though, Alaska has 2 seasons: Winter and Preparing for winter.

If you are in a tour, your guides should be able to get you to the best viewing spots. That's what I did, and it was worth it.
The salmon were running when I was there, so all the animals come down to the rivers to eat.

You should be able to rent the 50-500 at the places mentioned above. It will be many times cheaper than buying one
You could take your 18-55 and 50-200 in lieu of the 18-135 I listed above, it should get you most of your landscapes and general walk-around stuff.

I will recommend a decent tripod and ball head though. those long lenses get HEAVY after a while.

Can't wait to see photos.

Bruce