Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
RE:I'm new to this site

Is it necessary to buy a polarizing filter for Pentax K-50 Camera ???

01-25-2016, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Give this article a read:

Polarizing Filter Basics - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #3
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Mega. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing some photographs from your K-50 soon.
01-26-2016, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, a polarizer does a couple of things that can help your image -- it tends to reduce reflections -- so helpful if you are taking photos of water -- and it tends to make the sky bluer/grass and foliage greener -- particularly if you are shooting perpendicular to the sun. It is by no means necessary for most shots and could actually detract from some shots by darkening your exposure too much. I do think it is nice to have one in your bag and know when to use it.

01-26-2016, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mega Quote
Is it necessary to buy a polarizing filter for Pentax K-50 Camera ???
Hi Mega, Welcome!

It's certainly not necessary to have a polarizer; but they do come in handy at times. Also depends on what lens you use them on, you can get vignetting on wider lenses. They do offer "slim" filters which does help in this case.
01-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I mainly use a polarizer in the fall. By cutting the reflections from the leaves, it really helps the colors pop.
01-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.
01-30-2016, 10:38 PM   #8

Original Poster
Is it necessary to convert RAW images to JPEG to save to my computer??? or is it best to leave them RAW images.I have never shot RAW before with a digital Camera..I new to this format of photography.

01-31-2016, 01:55 AM   #9

You can edit/open RAW files on your computer so it not necessary. Only when you want to save final image, or upload it on internet.
01-31-2016, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, looks like you've already got some great replies, enjoy the forum.
01-31-2016, 04:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mega Quote
Is it necessary to convert RAW images to JPEG to save to my computer??? or is it best to leave them RAW images.I have never shot RAW before with a digital Camera..I new to this format of photography.
RAW is sort of like a digital negative. It will have more information in it for developing an image, but in order to view it, or print it, it will need to be converted to jpeg or some other format like TIFF. You can use the Pentax software to convert it, or you can get something like Lightroom. I use Lightroom and it works fine to organize files and do general post processing.

I usually do keep the RAW files as well as developed copies. Styles change and sometimes you have an image you developed in a particular way and down the road, you wish you had developed it differently. It is a lot easier to do if you still have the RAW file stored some place. For snap shots, I often just shoot straight out of camera jpegs, as it saves time and the camera's output is decent enough for most normal purposes.
01-31-2016, 06:42 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by piotrekoonpl Quote
You can edit/open RAW files on your computer so it not necessary. Only when you want to save final image, or upload it on internet.
How do I edit files on my computer since I bought the Camera used without software. Which site would have the free software to do this.?
01-31-2016, 08:18 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

I use this software a lot, even though I do have Adobe Photoshop also. FastStone is easy to use, and has many features to work with your images. I think FastStone also works with RAW, but check to be sure.

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...
01-31-2016, 08:27 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I always like to have a filter on the front of my lens for protection. My fingers have mind of thier own sometimes. I'm much happier cleaning finger prints off a replaceable $50 filter than the glass of a $1000 lens. And on some of my camera, those filters are polarizers. That works for me. Some have suggested that when shooting sunsets etc, polarizers can cause banding, and before hearing this I did have some banding on images taken with polarizers that i didn't understand. But I can think of maybe 5 exposures out of 50,000 where that happened. The rest of the time it's all good.
02-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I think FastStone also works with RAW, but check to be sure.
Yes, it does. It handles both .DNG and .PEF and lots of others.