Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2016, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hello fellow Pentaxers

I will introduce myself as Kevin Burns long time Pentax user. I am new to the higher megapixels of todays cameras. Starting out with film and moved into digital very early in the advent of digital cameras. owning many brand names and loosing exif data over time. having a Pentax ist D at 6mp was awesome, moving to 10mp with the "forgive me" Nikon D200, and many other 10-12mp cameras in-between.
I am old school in that I simply love the smaller mp cameras. But do to the digital mp wars I was forced to upgrade. So I am plagued with either over exposed or under exposed images, I simply cant nail down a perfect exp "if that really exists. LOL I love Pentax legacy lenses mostly because it is all I can afford, but a real photographer don't need high dollar equipment.
I simply enjoy photographing anything and seeing beauty in otherwise ugly things.
I am glad to meet you all.

01-29-2016, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Kevin

Welcome to the forum. It is a great friendly knowledgeable group. I also cut my teeth on film, but my first SLR was a Ricoh KR 5 with Pentax K mount and although I really enjoy the ease of digital, there is a part of film that I do miss
01-29-2016, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
01-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcome. LOL Once I went digital I never looked back!!

01-29-2016, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!

Pentax makes it easier to use the old manual lenses - and operating the camera manually makes you get the exposure right. I think that leads to better pictures, the paying attention part.
01-29-2016, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

In tricky lighting, I use a warped version of Ansel Adams' exposure techniques I found on the net somewhere. I spot meter and adjust exposure:
- to retain highlight detail in high key shooting, such as snowy scenes, I meter the brightest area of snow in which I want detail, and add 2 stops of exposure.
- to retain detail in shadowed areas at the expense of some blown highlights, I meter the darkest area I want to retain detail in and reduce exposure two stops.

Given enough time, I will then check the histogram and make minor exposure adjustments. As I shoot RAW, this step is often unnecessary.
01-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks all, I was making a joke to the longer exposure times associated with 20 plus mp, compared to 3.2 -10mp under same lighting conditions is all. takes some getting used to. lol
01-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
pjv
Eager To Learn

Hi Kevin. Welcome aboard the forum. Looking forward to seeing your photographs of some " ugly " things.

01-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Kevin, welcome from Alabama
01-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. A lot of us here have followed the same path as you. I have jumped from 2mpx to 36mpx and back to 24. The oscillations dont matter, the photos do. Enjoy your interaction here. Would love to see some of your photos.
01-31-2016, 02:47 AM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin Burns Quote
a perfect exp if that really exists
Welcome to the forum, like in life so many things involve an element of compromise.