Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2016, 07:40 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Glad you liked it!

I was told there that you live in the sunniest town in Canada!

Medicine hat isn't that small by itself. You also have the largest military range in Canada (and one of the biggest in the world) nearby
Yes sunny it is, sometimes one gets totally bored with dark blue skies, especially when shooting black and white and our summers can get into the low 40s C but usually only into the high 30s.

I work on the Base. It is a fully biligual base functioning in English and British with some Scottish as it is the British Army that uses most of the Base. I am a Canadian public servant but 80% if my salary and benefits are covered by the nice people in the UK. It is changing but Medicine Hat is more like a very big town than a small city in attitudes but it is set in a beautiful river valley and the city council totally disregarded many of the citizens and years ago installed a fantastic trail system within the city. Except for the heat of August Medicine Hat is almost a perfect place to live and housing is still affordable and crime is very minor and it is only 3 hours to Calgary and 5 1/2 to Edmonton and 2 1/2 to Waterton Lakes with little traffic on any of those routes.

02-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Except for the heat of August Medicine Hat is almost a perfect place to live and housing is still affordable and crime is very minor and it is only 3 hours to Calgary and 5 1/2 to Edmonton and 2 1/2 to Waterton Lakes with little traffic on any of those routes.
I seem to remember the TransCanada highway backed up in summer with vehicles hauling campers to Banff.
02-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I seem to remember the TransCanada highway backed up in summer with vehicles hauling campers to Banff.
With it being twinned there is no backup of traffic until you are right upon Calgary and then from there to Banff and beyond does get crowded. Going east one is almost at Regina before traffic gets slightly bad. Nothing like Toronto or Montreal, Vancouver or LA.
02-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #19

Original Poster
As redrockcoulee stated, there are many uncongested highways and wide open spaces here. Though I often travel around this region, I have made the foothills just west of Calgary my regular stomping grounds. Besides the foothills and mountains set in mixed coniferous and deciduous forests, there is the complete range of wildlife from grizz bears to field mice, and from eagles to chickadees. And lots of squirrels- Otis will be pleased. (There are even reports of the elusive Sasquatch!!!)

02-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
As redrockcoulee stated, there are many uncongested highways and wide open spaces here. Though I often travel around this region, I have made the foothills just west of Calgary my regular stomping grounds. Besides the foothills and mountains set in mixed coniferous and deciduous forests, there is the complete range of wildlife from grizz bears to field mice, and from eagles to chickadees. And lots of squirrels- Otis will be pleased. (There are even reports of the elusive Sasquatch!!!)
And here we have NO squirrels although there are some in the Cypress Hills. Occassionally a cougar comes up from the Hills along the creeks and river valley. But in the last four years we have had rats twice, both times at the Landfill. For those who are unaware of it Alberta is rat free and there is an actual Rat Patrol that comes to any reporting of rats and makes sure they are all exterminated. No pet rats allowed either. The only ones allowed are lab rats and they have to be killed when their time is up. At work we incenerate ours but I think a couple of years ago some lab rats were released in the Calgary landfill.

The foothills to the west of Calgary are wonderful, especially as you head down to the Crowsnest Pass through the Livingston area. I suspect the Sasquatch sightings are along the Red Mile have a Flames game.
02-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #21

Original Poster
And here we have NO squirrels although there are some in the Cypress Hills. Occassionally a cougar comes up from the Hills along the creeks and river valley. But in the last four years we have had rats twice, both times at the Landfill. For those who are unaware of it Alberta is rat free and there is an actual Rat Patrol that comes to any reporting of rats and makes sure they are all exterminated. No pet rats allowed either. The only ones allowed are lab rats and they have to be killed when their time is up. At work we incenerate ours but I think a couple of years ago some lab rats were released in the Calgary landfill.

The foothills to the west of Calgary are wonderful, especially as you head down to the Crowsnest Pass through the Livingston area. I suspect the Sasquatch sightings are along the Red Mile have a Flames game.
Yes, you are right! Sasquatch appear on the Red Mile, but being so elusive they only get spotted late after the Flames games, and strangely only by those who have been cheering their team with their favourite refreshments!
Now, the rats have been reported after the Oilers games!!???!!!
You mentioned the Cypres Hills- I love that place. Great for photography and never too crowded. Especially good for astral photog, as it is zoned a naturally dark area where no interfering artificial lighting is permitted. Wonderful night skies- simply ideal for those star and moon shots.
02-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #22
Pentaxian

With your comment on the Oilers I may have to retract my welcome. 😀
02-04-2016, 05:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I work on the Base.
I was there for two weeks during my PhD studies, running tests in the range. Pretty unusual scenery when compared to Eastern Canada.

02-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I was there for two weeks during my PhD studies, running tests in the range. Pretty unusual scenery when compared to Eastern Canada.
I hope you got to see the tree, or maybe we have two trees on the Base it is 2600 square km after all. Yes it is different from the east, I got to be at Valcartier for a day and it is totally differerent as were are drives out between Montreal and Quebec City. What was you field of study?
02-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I hope you got to see the tree, or maybe we have two trees on the Base it is 2600 square km after all. Yes it is different from the east, I got to be at Valcartier for a day and it is totally differerent as were are drives out between Montreal and Quebec City. What was you field of study?
Study of biological aerosols (pollens, bacteria) by remote sensing via lidar. essentially, blast far away particles with a laser, measure the returning light, and draw conclusions. A crossover between physics (optics) and microbiology.
02-05-2016, 07:30 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
Posted a few times already- now finally my introduction!
I've been with Pentax since the 70's, but I only got in the digital realm slowly, as I didn't expect it to catch on (embarrassed to admit that now). I consider myself somewhat advanced, though this forum has shown me how little I do know.
I'm happy to be here.
BTW: This board has a lot of Canadians from St. John's to Victoria...I read in another thread something like 7% of either posters or posts (forget which).

Welcome. There is a whole lot of knowledge here.

---------- Post added 02-05-16 at 11:03 AM ----------

I was told there that you live in the sunniest town in Canada!...
Sun? What is this thing you call "sun". Newfoundlanders don't know that word...especially at this time of the year.