Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2016, 01:33 AM   #1

Advice please

Which is the better camera the Pentax kx or the k20 I've just. Bought a used kx to find the sensor has a scratch I can buy the k 20 for just over 100 pound what should I do please 🤔

02-01-2016, 02:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x all the way but that is just my opinion
02-01-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If I remember right, the K20D is higher tier, but older technology.
Pentax K20D vs. Pentax K-x vs. Pentax K-S1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Honestly, camera sensors have gone a long way since then. K-5 is already significantly better, and even the modern, affordable, K-S1 will beat cameras older than the K-r in many respects.
K20D is okay if you can get it for a really good price and don't demand things like high ISO, video mode, scene mode..

I would definitely recommend getting a used K-5 or K-S1. That said, I have seen some great photos taken with K20D posted on these forums, so I don't want to say its a terrible camera. Its a good camera. But by now it is fairly old and technology has gone on. Electronics do not age very well, in general.
02-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, for that price I would have thought the K20D is the way to go.

02-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

K20D is my opinion (if these are the two only options).

Yes the K-x has better ISO performance and is smaller and lighter. But the K20D has lens focus adjustment which from what I understand, the K-x doesn't have. I think that is a very important feature because if your lens needs focus adjustment and you don't have it available, what are you going to do? The K20D also has more physical controls that make shooting a pleasure.

You might be able to find a K-r for just a little more than the K20D. K-r has the same sensor as the K-x but it has lens adjustment, in-camera corrections and a larger buffer than the K-x. In that case I would probably recommend the K-r over the K20D, but only just.
02-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #6

I recently owned both of these at the same time. I think they are both great cameras that can still do a lot - especially considering their current used prices. I eventually sold the K-x and still have the K20D.

The K-x is small, well built, shoots video, and is great in low light (high iso). It also uses AA batteries which can be good. While all these are good qualities - the build quality is not as good as the K20D (which isn't really fair given their starting price / target users), the viewfinder is not as good (pentamirror vs pentaprism in K20D), there is no visible focus point indicator, video is nice, but for what I do - my phone works fine for this, and the biggest one for me - poor battery life in the K-x. I tried all the tricks (eneloops, firmware updates, etc.), but could never get very many shots out of a set of batteries on my K-x. I did have decent luck with energizer ultimate lithiums, but I didn't want to spend $10 every time I needed fresh batteries.

The K20D gives up a bit in low light, but it's not bad, IMHO, up to iso 1200 or so (especially with decent glass). It's built like a tank, is weather sealed, has great battery life, and has a big - bright viewfinder with visible focus confirmation.

Ergonomically, it and the K10D are still my favorite bodies (I've used K-7 and K30 also, but I still love the way the K20D fits in my hand). I've also never had any of the problems with mirror flop issues using older M lenses with the K20D like I did with my K30 (which is why I don't have it any more).

I've also found the images from the K20D to be sharper (especially jpegs), with better colors than the K-x.

I've owned 2 of each of these, and I really like what they can do. But if I could only have one - it's the K20D.

Sorry for the long reply. Good Luck, and enjoy!