Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #1

Howdy from Texas

Howdy, y'all! My name's Max and I live in Austin. Currently own a K-50 and looking to put some better glass in front of it, so I signed up here at PF!

02-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! A Pentax user in the vicinity! I might faint.
02-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Max. You've come to the right place for opinions on glass for your Pentax; we love to spend your money! Seriously, you will find great information on the different lenses here that will help in choosing your glass!
02-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Just like the rest of us it sounds like you have LBA. Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

02-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great to hear from a fellow Austinite! I was born and raised there, and still consider it home more than anywhere else.
02-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Welcome to the forum! Just like the rest of us it sounds like you have LBA. Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
Not too badly, actually. I'm currently shooting with the 35mm f2.4 and I'm ready to step up to the 35mm f2.8 Limited. The 35mm f2.4 is an exceptional lens for the price, but I'm ready for just an exceptional lens, period.

And Outis I see your UT clocktower and raise you a state capitol:

02-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, well, I'll raise you a bluebonnet!

02-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

Austin. Home of independent thinkers. Well, maybe just moreso that most of Texas.

Myself, a new resident because two of three daughters are near. Since I came from a waterfront home in Florida, I definitely do not find Austin great. Just another crowded, expensive city. Could be any number of other American cities. And Texas, what a weird culture. And the way they do things. Or, not. But, family over all else, I guess. Especially as I go into my dotage. ("My bedpan needs changing.")

Five minutes from me, coincidentally, is Precision Camera on Anderson. While they don't display Pentax, it is probably one of the last great bricks and mortar stores in America. While I don't need the services, a separate Pro department and rentals of all kinds of gear, still and video.
02-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I haven't been back in a couple of months, but I thought that they did have some Pentax stuff, last time I was there.
02-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Max. Welcome aboard the forum.
02-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Architecture Quote
Howdy, y'all! My name's Max and I live in Austin. Currently own a K-50 and looking to put some better glass in front of it, so I signed up here at PF!
Welcome to the forums!
...and paulvzo - don't worry, just hang around a bit and you'll catch on .
02-01-2016, 10:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
Austin. Home of independent thinkers. Well, maybe just moreso that most of Texas.

Myself, a new resident because two of three daughters are near. Since I came from a waterfront home in Florida, I definitely do not find Austin great. Just another crowded, expensive city. Could be any number of other American cities. And Texas, what a weird culture. And the way they do things. Or, not. But, family over all else, I guess. Especially as I go into my dotage. ("My bedpan needs changing.")

Five minutes from me, coincidentally, is Precision Camera on Anderson. While they don't display Pentax, it is probably one of the last great bricks and mortar stores in America. While I don't need the services, a separate Pro department and rentals of all kinds of gear, still and video.
Been in Precision a few times. They always show me the Pentax gear they have. One rep said that they had sold quite a lot of it lately. They helped me with my flash that I bought there, bought my tripod from there and my Sigma 500. Actually got a deal on it. In retrospect I might have more cash if I stayed out of there....that probably isn't going to happen.... Oh yeah this is Texas... "It Ain't gonna happen!"
02-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #13

Original Poster
Precision sells Pentax, but not much of it. They usually have two used K-mount lenses, one of which is invariably a 50mm f2. I go in there to look, but they don't have the gear that supports my system, but it's where I got my passport photos taken.

But being a Pentaxian was never about worrying over shelf space.
02-02-2016, 03:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Welcome from Alabama
02-02-2016, 05:37 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome

Welcome from a Texan living in Ohio.

When the $$ hit your pocket, my single best piece of advice is buy the amigoes, starting with Miss 77, the Pentax-FA 77mm f 1.8.

For my lens buying, I hear of a new lens, go to the Forum to read lens reviews, and often buy used on eBay. I have had great luck buying from Japanese buyers listing on eBay. Good luck to you, and hope you enjoy the Forum as much as I have enjoyed it!