Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #1

hello from oklahoma

Had an old ME Super that died somewhere in the mid-late 90's. I was wrapped up in a different activity at that point (auto racing) and didn't do much photography for many years following . My racing avocation went into possibly permanent hibernation several years ago, and I eventually decided to get back into photography.

Bought an *istDL and then a K10D, ZX-7, some new lenses and a copy of Photoshop shortly thereafter. Haven't done much with them yet, but intend to start getting more serious. Main focus will be artistic stuff, but I do plan to at least dip a toe into the portraiture waters. At some point I'm also going to see about scanning my old slides and negatives. That's it, in a nutshell.

07-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Igilligan

Welcome to the forum...

What part of the great state of Oklahoma are you from? I still have family in the home of Garth Vadar... Sorry Garth Brooks and more spread out around the state. You got some nice cameras and a good PP program. You should be up an running in no time...

But artistic shots from oklahoma? This is as close to artistic I got the last time I was there...

haha

Again, welcome.....
07-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hey, we have more than our share of crumbling infrastructure and depression-era scenery - plenty of cool shooting opportunities! ;-)

NorCal does have a superior musical landscape, though. A lot of my favorite bands are based out of Sacto and the Bay area.

I live in OKC, but also have roots in the NW part of the state.
07-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
Igilligan

Well I forgot about the crumbling infrastructure 8^()

QuoteOriginally posted by stan8331 Quote
Hey, we have more than our share of crumbling infrastructure and depression-era scenery - plenty of cool shooting opportunities! ;-)

NorCal does have a superior musical landscape, though. A lot of my favorite bands are based out of Sacto and the Bay area.

I live in OKC, but also have roots in the NW part of the state.
Crumbling infrastructure always works for those artsy shots and there is always bricktown... Actually that country out there is great for photos. And OKC has a it's own unique personality.
I love the Frisco Cemetary with the Oil rig along the fence line

And we dont have Mississippi Kites like these out here.

What bay area bands do you like? I sang in the SF area for years and still know a few of the bands... One of my faves is based right there in OKC...

07-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
My favorite Bay Area band just recently broke up - Fabulous Disaster. Its members are in some new bands I follow, especially one Lynda recently started called Sassy. There's a great, legendary band called The Mr. T Experience. There was also The Flipsides, which disbanded and now Sabrina Stewart is doing solo stuff. And The Donnas grew up in Palo Alto, though I guess they're living in LA now.

In Sacramento there was a band I dearly love called The Groovie Ghoulies. They also just recently broke up, now Kepi is doing some excellent solo-type projects and Roach and Scampi are in a cool new band called Baby.

There are others, but those are the highlights.

Who's your OKC band? My guess would be The Flaming Lips...
07-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Igilligan

Holy Smokes....

QuoteOriginally posted by stan8331 Quote
My favorite Bay Area band just recently broke up - Fabulous Disaster. Its members are in some new bands I follow, especially one Lynda recently started called Sassy. There's a great, legendary band called The Mr. T Experience. There was also The Flipsides, which disbanded and now Sabrina Stewart is doing solo stuff. And The Donnas grew up in Palo Alto, though I guess they're living in LA now.

In Sacramento there was a band I dearly love called The Groovie Ghoulies. They also just recently broke up, now Kepi is doing some excellent solo-type projects and Roach and Scampi are in a cool new band called Baby.

There are others, but those are the highlights.

Who's your OKC band? My guess would be The Flaming Lips...
I know all those bands... I bartended and managed a great r&r bar in SF called the Nightbreak... they all played there back in the day....

Somewhere I have some great Groovie Ghoulies videos from Nightbreak... What a great band.

And my dear friend Nancy was playing bass in Fabulous Disaster for a while....

And I guess the flaming lips was not too tough a guess for my fave OKC band!

So did you live here at one time? Do I know you? haha

My bands played shows way back with Mr T ... and the GG's
07-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
Nancy's a sweetheart. We never met - she left the band before I got to see them, but we became acquainted online a while back when she was having some health problems. Lynda is the member I've gotten to know the best - Sally is really nice as well.

Nah, I never lived there. Just happen to be nuts about a lot of those area bands. Did have one great visit there a couple of years ago when I got to see the Ghoulies, Fab D and Chixdiggit all on the same trip. I'd love to see any Ghoulies videos you can dig up.

I've only seen the Lips twice, but both were special shows. First time was when they opened for The Replacements here long ago, and the other time was a crazy show they played here downtown this past New Year's Eve.

I guess it's a small world.
07-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
Igilligan

It is a small world... I have a video on myspace that I made for nancy's birthday a couple of years ago... it has her and Tracy Oklahoma in the band Mermaid Tattoo....

From their you should be able to see some other vids of bands. Lawn Vultures and Jackson Saints were two of mine...

If you watch em... play them loud..... I will look for the Ghoulies video...

Happy Birthday Nancy
MySpaceTV Videos: Happy Birthday Nancy by Chunk

Lawn Vultures Myspace link
MySpace.com - Lawn Vultures - SAN FRANCISCO, California - Country / Punk / Rock - www.myspace.com/lawnvultures

and a vid....
MySpaceTV Videos: Lawn Vultures --- "Cinderella" by Lawn Vultures

07-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
Cool stuff - Lawn Vultures sound pretty good!
Sent you a myspace friend request.