Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #1

k-50 Lens Hood

I can't find a lens hood that fits my new K-50 the one from amazon doesn't fit, it looks like the lens has slots for 2 slides (or what ever the bumps are called) and the hood has 4. I carved off 2 of the slides and it will fit now but it is so lose it wants to fall off?

02-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EdgarTC Quote
I can't find a lens hood that fits my new K-50 the one from amazon doesn't fit, it looks like the lens has slots for 2 slides (or what ever the bumps are called) and the hood has 4. I carved off 2 of the slides and it will fit now but it is so lose it wants to fall off?
The K-50 doesn't have a spot for a hood. The hood attaches to a lens. What lens you are you trying to use a hood on?
02-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EdgarTC Quote
it looks like the lens has slots for 2 slides (or what ever the bumps are called) and the hood has 4. I carved off 2 of the slides and it will fit now but it is so lose it wants to fall off?
Did you get the K-50 kit with the 18-55mm lens? If so, the "slides" form part of the bayonet mount for the official hood, and by "carving" them off you have removed the ability to fit the official hood from the lens. You might be able to use a screw-on hood that fits into the filter thread, but you will end up with either insufficient coverage or vignetting.
02-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
If so, the "slides" form part of the bayonet mount for the official hood, and by "carving" them off you have removed the ability to fit the official hood from the lens.
Sadly yes. The Pentax brand hood is expensive to replace. However you can order third party hoods that should fit.

BTW, welcome to the Forums!

02-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two different types of hoods for the 18-55mm: one for the DA, DA II, and DA L version (PH-RBA 52 mm), and a different one for the DA WR and DA L WR version (PH-RBC 52 mm).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer...

Photos: Gallery | Albums
perhaps a picture of your 'carving' would help us?
02-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #7
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi EdgarTC. Welcome aboard the forum.
02-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome, I'm never easy when I hear terms like "carve"... when being applied to lenses.