Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi from Sarasota, Fl

Fairly new to modern cameras but learning fast. Used to develop and print my own pics about 100 years ago (OK..not that long but seems like it)
I'm a retired astronomer which leads me to a small gripe. I just found out last week about Astro Tracer. I believe it's on the K-3 ii. I'm waiting to see if the new Pentax full frame model will also have astro-tracer. My gripe is: PENTAX, WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US ASTRONOMERS ABOUT THIS FEATURE?

I subscribe to many mags each month including Sky and Telescope, Astronomy and others and (as far as I know) I have not seen ONE ad in any of my magazines about astrotracer. This astrotracer is a big deal. I have an observatory and a large 60 LB scope and large (heavy) mount but I sure can't/wont haul it out on a road trip. Plus, setting up an equatorial mount in the field can be a pain. Having a camera that will allow astrophotographers to take decent shots with out blurring is wonderful and well needed. Yes, there's ways to get around it but to have a camera that will follow the star ( and therefore no damn trails) is super cool.

Love ya Pentax but next time..please tell somebody. I know several Amateur' Astronomers who I told about astrotracer and they all said something like: Really...who makes that and it's in a camera??

ps: I have a Nikon D5300 but looks like my wife will be using it shortly. I've got "Camera Fever"

02-04-2016, 11:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The astrotracer feature has been around since 2010, ever since the O-GPS1 accessory was released

All current speculation suggests that the FF will also have the astrotracer, since it's going to have built-in GPS and SR just like the K-3 II. This will certainly make it quite among FF bodies.

Do note the limitations of this system compared to a traditional sky tracker; in practice the astrotracer is best for shorter exposures.
Astrophotography Part 3 of 6: Making a Barn Door Tracker - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2016, 11:22 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi HP 56948. Welcome aboard the forum. Looking forward to seeing some of your " sky " photographs after you have settled in.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 02-04-2016 at 11:23 PM. Reason: name spelling
02-05-2016, 06:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

02-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.
02-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you much for setting me straight. Geez..since 2010?. I really am out-of-the-loop.

I realize that the Astrotracer is only for short astrophotography but shots taken for even 10 seconds...without tracking... will show a lot of blur when examined closely, as in this (over-processed) shot. I think? it was 10 seconds@1600/1.8 Nikon D5300

http://pauldesmond.net/53c.jpg Use the + thing.
02-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi HP 56948. Welcome aboard the forum. Looking forward to seeing some of your " sky " photographs after you have settled in.

Thank you. I'll post some as soon as the weather spirit doesn't know I'm going to shoot that night.

---------- Post added 02-05-16 at 01:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote

Thank you kindly.

02-13-2016, 12:48 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, lets us hope that the forthcoming FF is all cameras to all people.
« Nice Forum | Hello »