Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #1

New 645z Pentax user

I just joined the forum as I recently started to use the 645z, coming from Hasselblad H4d-40.
It is the best camera I ever used. However raw conversion and flash sync are big issues. That's why I joined to forum and hope to be able to improve on those.
Hasselblad and Phaseone have there own very good raw converters, and of course they have leaf shutters.

Last edited by photolady95; 02-07-2016 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Removed personal link
02-07-2016, 02:40 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Tony999. Welcome to the forum. Ask a question here and you will be swamped with helpful replies.
02-07-2016, 06:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks so much
02-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from Alabama

02-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
02-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #6

645Z and high speed sync.

I'm not a 645 owner, but here is an article here on the PF site that will take care of your high speed sync issues, and for less than the cost of a good 645 lens.

Priolite: Sync Speeds Up To 1/8000s With Pentax - Third-Party Announcements | PentaxForums.com
02-08-2016, 01:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hello Scifiguy

I did order 2 sets of Priolite and here you can read what I got:
Priolite review | Bangkok Photographer studio Valentino

So I'm aware that all solutions will loose light, even leaf shutter above 1/500s will start to loose light(probably due to triggering communication).
The results might be usable outdoors sometimes, but will set you back to slower then 1/100s in the studio.

Not a real solution.

02-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

welcome!
02-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Toni,

I don't know if this is an option for you, but there are a couple of older LS lenses for the Pentax 645 system.
SMC Pentax 645 LS 75mm F2.8 Reviews - 645 Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax 645 LS 135mm F4 Reviews - 645 Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Sadly they don't autofocus. This is definitely an area where Pentax needs to improve it's offerings, and it would be worth it to petition the company to include leaf shutters in their future lenses. It's also possible that with the increasing popularity of the Pentax 645 mount that a third-party vendor like Fotodiox or Novoflex might make a 67(or perhaps another brand of medium format lens) to 645 adapter with a leaf shutter in the future.

As far as raw converters, are you shooting in PEF format or DNG? I was under the impression that Capture One would read DNGs (if you don't like using Lightroom that is). I don't think many people actually use the Pentax DCU software that comes packaged with the camera.
02-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I'm looking at purchasing the same camera, so following this thread with great interest. Thanks, all!
02-09-2016, 04:33 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hello

older versions of capture one will read the DNG, however not the PEF. New versions blocked the Pentax 645z for competitive reasons. You can however change the metadata and pretend to be iq250 files. This will work, with somewhat odd color, and there is no lens correction profile. So I stick with Lightroom now.

The old pentax LS lenses would be an option, however they are not so easy to find, and the procedure to take a picture is not really suited for my style of shooting, besides them bein manual.

---------- Post added 02-09-16 at 04:36 AM ----------

...and I did try the Pentax software, which only comes on the DVD and is not available for download on the Pentax support page(modern mbp don't have a drive, and I usualy don't need one). It is painfully slow, slower then Phocus. I mean really slow, and you would not even be able to make a side by side comparison of 2 pictures.
02-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Toni999 Quote
older versions of capture one will read the DNG, however not the PEF. New versions blocked the Pentax 645z for competitive reasons. You can however change the metadata and pretend to be iq250 files. This will work, with somewhat odd color, and there is no lens correction profile. So I stick with Lightroom now.
Those slippery weasels, it's like they knew there was a better camera system out there, but didn't want other people to know. I suppose you could always convert to ProPhotoTIFF in LR and export to Capture One. Color wise, very few really need the extra information that would be contained in the raw file (vs. TIFF), but the ability to change the white balance at a later time, plus the exposure latitude... it's just not the same, is it?

One other option for beating the sync speed problem that is worth investigating is the Cactus flash system. They have a mode on their RF60 flashguns called "sympathetic flash" or something. Basically it's a low-tech answer to HSS. When the RF60s see a preflash, they chime in with their own pulsed burst at the appropriate moment (the timing of which you can adjust). Basically I've strapped three RF60s, plus one Metz 58AF2 together, and connected it to the camera with a modified CAT5 TTL cable to create a daylight-killing monstrosity. Works well for darkening skies up to 1/1000th, and even at 1/2000th I still get a "polite" amount of fill flash. I don't know how it compares to the Priolite, but I will say that for normal flash applications the Cactus system is a God-send for Pentax users because it adds much-needed flash "groups/zones" to the system, and it's quite affordable. It's also brand-agnostic, which is nice if you use other camera systems.
02-10-2016, 04:52 AM   #13

Original Poster
How to you trigger them?

Yes speedlights work. I have 2x 540 II Pentax.

What's really bad in those units is:
1.HS only in Pttl mode.
2.each time you switch off the flash, it will reset all settings. have to set to hs again and so on.

Ok. and then 3. at faster speeds the Pentax only fires the flash, if it is set to HS. I wonder who had this great idea.
A side effect, triggers on cam will not work. you will need a pentax HS agnostic device as a flash or trigger on cam. Accoring to Information from Cactus, their trigger is not.
02-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are two ways I can fire them, one is to use a TTL cable that I've spliced to accept a CAT5 ethernet cable. This lets me work hard wired at long distances in bright sunlight. I fire my Metz58 which has an HSS mode via the TTL cable and that triggers the RF60s to chime, even though they don't have pTTL.

The other way, and this is fairly new to me, is that the Cactus V6 triggers can be used as an external sync source to fire both the camera and the strobes. You hold one V6 in your hands and that acts as a "starter pistol" if you will for the race between your camera and the RF60s. There is a post that talks about it here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/258624-cactus...ml#post3273245
02-14-2016, 01:30 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, let us know over time how your getting on with the 645Z.