Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

New here and asking some questions!

Hello Pentaxians!

Iím completely new to photography and this forum!

I am a recent graduate from an environmental science program and my main interests are shooting macro flowers, landscapes, field sites, and wildlife. I also plan to shoot portraits, astrophotography and maybe tilt-shift miniatures in the future.

I donít own a camera yet, but my limited budget and feature geekiness sets me in the direction of the Pentax K-S2. I specifically require weather sealing for my environment work and an articulated screen for macro shots of flowers and grasses.

I have some old gear for both Pentax and Canon that I have questions about. I will write up another thread asking about compatibility soon!

I look forward experimenting and sharing my shots in the near future!

All the best,

02-12-2016, 04:31 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

You will be pleased to know that any old Pentax lenses you have can easily be made to work on the KS-2 you have in mind, and also on any other Pentax DSLR body (although naturally you don't get the advantage of weather sealing with older lenses). And there is an excellent weather-sealed 100mm macro lens that should suit your field requirements down to the ground.

To get you started and possibly answer some of your questions on using that older stuff:

https://m.youtube.com/?reload=2&rdm=1vq2014u2#/watch?v=gUE0aQBy2D4

The 100mm WR macro:

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
02-12-2016, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As pathdoc says, your Pentax lenses are usable - and a lot of us love using the older lenses. But unfortunately Canon lenses have a shorter registration distance than Pentax and cannot be adapted without potential loss of image quality. Having said that - and noting your interest in macro work - you could maybe use a reversing ring for K-mount on a 50mm Canon lens and use that for macro work. You will find lots of info here that will help you. If something is possible, there is probably someone who has tried it already!

Welcome to the Forums, and enjoy all you find here.
02-12-2016, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the in body stabilization will do wonders for macro shots if you don't want to lug around a tripod. And the DFA100 WR Macro is a fantastic lens - plus I think B&H has it on sale right now for a price that's near it's all time lows .

And I've had mine out in the rain (moderate, not heavy rain) and it did great. Although I have the k5iis and k3, I've been kicking around getting the ks2 because of the tilty screen for macros, flowers and for social events. It's a great camera - I'm sure you'll love it.

Welcome to the site!

02-12-2016, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi FozzFoster. Welcome to the forum. Any questions you post here on equipment or technique will be swamped with helpful replies.
02-12-2016, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like have made a good start! Welcome from Alabama
02-14-2016, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome, you've had some great replies already... so I'll just repeat a welcome.