Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 06:44 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! There are a lot of great cameras available. You'll need to figure out what you want to do and how the camera can fit into that vision.

I don't consider the K5 better than the K3. They are different cameras, the K3's electronics are much better but the different sensors do produce different images.

I would also say to look into the used market if you want to save some money, the Marketplace here is a great resource.

02-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Bipin Sir, I purchased all my gear in North America. I guess 2 Pentax camera bodies, 5 lenses when converted to INR is indeed a few lacs.
Good luck with sale of your K5! You took some nice pictures with it.
02-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Timidtim, welcome to the forum. I was confused when I started to venture into the DSLR arena and I am grateful to the pentaxians over here for helping me make the right choice.

I would suggest, grab a k-50 if you can. I have loved it. It's a very capable camera and I have learnt a lot about photography. I am planning to upgrade to a full frame when I think I would be mature enough to understand photography in detail.

You can buy old Pentax glass which is worth every penny. I shot a full wedding with a Pentax-a 50mm 1.7 which I bought on jjforum.
02-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, TimidTim! Take your time to decide what is the best camera for you and the best value for money.

In my opinion, K5-IIs is the best camera one can buy from used market, irrespective of the brand. In some aspects, I prefer K-5IIs over K3 (again that is just my opinion). Now with the FF on the horizon, you will see older used models for sale for relatively lower prices. K20D is another exceptionally good camera to own not only to learn but to use for regular day to day photography as well. In my opinion K20D is the best Pentax DSLR from pre-K5 era. Bit depth of its sensor is slightly lower than K5 (and newer models) but I can assure you that you can easily live with that even in bright New Delhi summer! Correct me if I am wrong guys! At the same time, considering the shipping costs it may be better to acquire a K5 locally.

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 02-19-2016 at 08:14 PM.
02-20-2016, 05:09 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thank you all for your kind and informative advice. I really appreciate them all as I'm really new to photography world and I'm just happy to be a part of this friendly family.
« Hello | hello »