Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 11:15 PM   #1

College Student from India

Hello everyone.

I'm a college student from India who show interests in photography, and I've been eyeing Pentax cameras for more than a year, but the custom charges and extra tax makes it beyond affordable. I hope I'd be able to buy it one day, and I hope you don't mind me staying a pentaxian family without having one (yet).

Thank you.

02-14-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi TimidTim. Welcome to the forum. We don't mind at all that you are just looking for the moment. Good luck with your studies.
02-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Good luck with your studies.
Thank you.
02-15-2016, 12:18 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, enjoy all that you find here.

02-15-2016, 12:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Namaste TimidTim! You are not timid at all. Rather brave for venturing to be a pentaxian. I am yet to see any pentax camera in any part of India for sale. Some in the Fort/Lamington area in Mumbai, some in Bangalore but again nothing compared to Nikon in INdia. You could also purchase a second hand camera from the ones in the For Sale section. Good luck!
02-15-2016, 04:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from Alabama
02-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TimidTim Quote
Hello everyone.
I'm a college student from India who show interests in photography, and I've been eyeing Pentax cameras for more than a year, but the custom charges and extra tax makes it beyond affordable. I hope I'd be able to buy it one day, and I hope you don't mind me staying a pentaxian family without having one (yet).
Thank you.
Hi TimidTim, perhaps I might be able to help you with my spare Pentax K-5 with some starter Lenses. In perfect Like New condition - 10/10. And a great performer too.
Lucky you - no worry about Custom charges and extra Taxes.
Now all you need to do is PM me.

And welcome our brand new Pentaxian. You can certainly gain a lot from the joint experiences of so many talented Pentaxians on our Forum.
Regards.

02-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place to learn and enjoy photography.
02-16-2016, 12:28 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I'm thinking of getting Nikon as Danny09 suggested.
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Now all you need to do is PM me.
I don't know how to pm yet, lol. And by the way I live in New Delhi.
02-16-2016, 07:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thank you everyone. I'm thinking of getting Nikon as Danny09 suggested. I don't know how to pm yet, lol. And by the way I live in New Delhi.
Ho ho! TimidTom, Nikon's are great cameras, just that the Pentaxes are a tad better. Perhaps you might want to join a Nikon Forum too, to get some great offers.
Anyhow here is my email - biping@gmail.com - as you do not know how to PM (there is an easy Tutorial on this great Forum).

Have fun.
02-17-2016, 12:14 AM   #11

Original Poster
Ho ho! TimidTom, Nikon's are great cameras, just that the Pentaxes are a tad better. Perhaps you might want to join a Nikon Forum too, to get some great offers.
Anyhow here is my email - biping@gmail.com - as you do not know how to PM (there is an easy Tutorial on this great Forum).

Have fun.
Thank you for your kind input, since I'm a really newbie and tight on budget I think Nikon is a safe bet. I'll try to get K-3 )or better) if god willing in the future.
02-17-2016, 12:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thank you for your kind input, since I'm a really newbie and tight on budget I think Nikon is a safe bet. I'll try to get K-3 )or better) if god willing in the future.
By god! TimidTim Bhai, You appear to be a highly intelligent & well informed NEWBIE. But do note the Pentax K-3 is NOT for NEWBIES, as it does not have the Built-in Flash. These are meant for Pros and the Advanced Amateurs.

The best camera produced ever is the Pentax K-5, an icon like the Film Days Pentax K-1000 SE Made in Japan model. The K-5 gives the Canon Full Frame Pro 5D Mark III a run for the money - that is, it is a tad better than the Canon 5D Mk III - see DxO Mark Review.

Have fun with your P&S till you acquire the beautiful world of a DSLR.
02-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #13

Original Poster
do note the Pentax K-3 is NOT for NEWBIES, as it does not have the Built-in Flash.
Sir, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think K-3 has inbuilt flash which is replaced in K-3 II for GPS, I'm still considering your kind offer for K-5, apart from that, Nikon D3300 and D5300 are in the race.
02-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Sir, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think K-3 has inbuilt flash which is replaced in K-3 II for GPS, I'm still considering your kind offer for K-5, apart from that, Nikon D3300 and D5300 are in the race.
TimidTim is correct. K3 does have the in built flash. They got rid of it in K3II. For the record I NEVER recommended a Nikon to you. I only regretted the lack of presence of Pentax brand in India. I spent my hard earned money purchasing Pentax gear worth Lacs of rupees and love my gear.
As Bipin sir mentioned, Pentax K5 is a wonderful DSLR but I would say save some money and get a K3. It has all the Autofocus, metering and host of other issues resolved. With no prioir background in Photography I stumbled upon this forum and purchased a used K10D in 2008.
Havent looked back ever since. This forum and Pentax gear, both are my favorites.
02-19-2016, 12:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
For the record I NEVER recommended a Nikon to you. I only regretted the lack of presence of Pentax brand in India. I spent my hard earned money purchasing Pentax gear worth Lacs of rupees and love my gear. As Bipin Sir mentioned, Pentax K5 is a wonderful DSLR, but I would say save some money and get a K3. It has all the autofocus, metering and host of other issues resolved.
Actually Pentax is very active now in India. Generally the prices are higher here than in North America. But I have seen lower prices than the US on one or two lenses announced every year with extended warranties. These are special promotions of course.

Also note Danny Sir, that the Pentax K-5 is far superior to the K-3 - see DxO Mark Tests & Ratings attached - in fact even better than the FF Canon 5D Mk III. The K-5 is iconic.

Danny, I am intrigued as to what interesting Pentax gear you accumulated for the Lacs of Rupees you spent as an Amateur Photographer?
Did you buy all your gear abroad? So where you charged Customs Duty?

I collected an assortment of Pentax and some good 3rd Party lenses. Maybe an interesting idea to value my gear at market prices.

I am into travel, street and architecture - no birding, wildlife or macro Photography. I have all the bases covered with the following lenses:-
Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2,8 and Pentax HD 55-300 WR. For situations where I do not need the 55-300 and WR is must, I drop
the Tamron 17-50 and the Pentax 55-300. Instead I carry the Sigma 10-20 + the Pentax 18-135 WR.

I remember using the Sigma 10-20 in Europe & Cuba 80% of the time, due to the narrow streets, huge squares, sprawling monuments,
tall cathedral and spires. Even inside these magnificent churches and monuments, the high ISO performance of the K-5 let me shoot
memorable pictures - link to the photos attached:-

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1wzkzh7aq7y5dj7/AADw5TxhKxANq9iLeVi-2blRa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/86j37pf1btu3f3t/AAC2bJaOJRHDnHEc0GyFGFaAa?dl=0

Regards.
Bipin.
Attached Images

« Hello | hello »