Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

Widow needs help

I have two cameras of my husband's and do not know their value I am not a photographer, Both are Pentax. The older one is Asahi on it and SE. have no idea what that means. The other comes with several lenses and and tripod and bag for lenses and camera. It is a Pentax and is called a ZX50. Can someone help me as I need to sell them

Attached Images

02-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum! Sorry for your loss, it's difficult to determine values of things you're not familiar with. However, you came to the right place; there are many members here that will be able to assist you!
02-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Forum Member

Need better photos

Hi,
I'm sorry for your loss.

There is a marketplace on this forum. If you're going to get what these items are worth, you'll need better photos of them before you post them for sale there.

From what I can see, you've got a Pentax MX Special Edition (SE) in brown leather. That's a rare and neat looking classic Pentax. It looks like a Pentax M 50mm f/2 lens attached to it. Together, if in perfect working order, they should bring less than 50 bucks.

The image of the other camera is blurry and small, but it looks like a Pentax MZ 5n with a 28-80 zoom. It's so blurry, I could be wrong. This is also not going to net you a lot of cash.

What may actually be worth more than either is the Vivitar Series 1 lens inside the lens case there. Often, the lenses are worth more than the old film cameras they accompany, because we can still use those old lenses on new digital cameras. Take the Vivitar lens out of its case and photograph the front of the lens like you did with the ME SE so we can read the writing around the front lens element. Then we can tell you about what that's worth.

I hope that helps.

Matt

---------- Post added 02-19-2016 at 02:27 AM ----------

Oh, I see now you did write that it's a ZX 50. That camera with a lens will also get you less than 50 bucks. Like I said, the other lenses that are in the camera bag may be worth far more than the camera, or also only 10-30 bucks each. Some high-quality old lenses can be worth several hundred dollars. The writing on the front of the lens is important to see which one it is and determine its worth.
02-18-2016, 11:17 PM   #4
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
Hi haxtone. Welcome to the forum. Sorry for your loss.

02-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you tell us what's written on the front of the Vivitar Series One lens we can help with that. There may be a filter, you'll want to unscrew that to see what's on the actual lens if you can't read it through the filter. There will be lens ID and probably a serial number.
02-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
lens pictures

Hope these help
Attached Images

02-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The one on the right seems to be the "VIVITAR Series 1 800mm f11 Catadioptric “mirror super-telephoto"". I really am not an expert on old lenses and just found this information on the internet, but I saw a similar description lens on the internet that was being sold for $450. There will most likely be other forum members that have more knowledge of the lens you have specifically, but I just wanted to give you that general information.

---------- Post added 02-20-16 at 03:03 PM ----------

The other looks like the Vivitar Series 1 28-105. I have seen a price of $130.79 at the following Pentax Forum review site for the lens. Again, this just general information I want to pass along to you. The site path is below.

Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm F2.8-3.8 VMC Macro Focusing Zoom Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
02-20-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter

It seems like you did not include two more lenses from previous pictures.
I don't know the value of those two you posted, but you wait here for experts, and you also can search on ebay completed listing (from advance search there)
For example:
Vivitar 28 105mm F2 8 3 8 Series 1 Lens Pentax PK 939 | eBay
Vivitar Series 1 800mm F11 Catadioptric Mirror Lens | eBay

The lens condition affects the price as well. If lens is clean, no scratches, fungus, oil on blades, works properly, the value is higher.
I can't say anything about film cameras, it's not the area of my interest, but there are many film photographer who may help.

02-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If both of the lenses are mounted on Pentax cameras, they can be distinguished as having Pentax mounts, I am not sure if it would be the Pentax K Mount which can be used on most of the Pentax DSLRs or not.
02-20-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Looks like FA and M lenses, so they can be used on DSLRs.
I'm surious what mount is on Vivitar 800mm mirror lens, K mount, or with adapter.
02-21-2016, 01:51 AM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome and good luck with the of sale of equipment.