Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 12:05 AM   #1

Hello from South Dakota

I've been lurking here off and on for a few months. There is so much to learn about photography and Pentax in particular. This forum and it's members has made learning much more fun than just using Google (and I don't have to slog through a jungle of ads and false leads either).

Towards the end of last week, I sent my Pentax K-01 to the Twin Cities to either sell or trade it for a true DSLR Pentax. At that time, there were plenty of models to choose from both at the store and online. After that I've noticed the supply of Pentax gear has suddenly shrunk! What is left jumped in price. The offer for my K-01 was too good to resist and based on the choices online, I figured I could just about break even without really spending much if anything at all for a used DSLR Pentax.

Is there some kind of run on Pentax equipment lately? It wouldn't be the first time I misjudged selling something when I should have sat on it longer or sold it sooner.

If money weren't an object, like many here, I'd purchase a K1, but with me being on a budget, my lofty ambitions have come back to earth and I'm looking more at some of the older Pentax models. I'm going to spend much more of my spare cash on good glass. After artistry and talent, glass makes or ruins a good shot (or so I've been told).

The biggest reason I'm replacing my K-01 is that it is a mirrorless model. It is a handsome brick and I had a lot of fun with it, but when I took my first formal photography class in high school, it was with a regular film SLR that featured a split focus screen. I miss that a lot and I've replaced the original focus screen in a few Nikons in the past. The trickiest thing will be finding the right focus screen for whatever model I get.

Anyway, I'm haunting the usual online sites and the Marketplace here, watching for the right Pentax. Here's hoping it is sooner than later as the photography bug is getting harder to itch.

02-25-2016, 12:16 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi jerry7171. Welcome aboard the forum. Good luck with finding a camera kit to suit your needs.
02-25-2016, 01:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, with The Pentax K-1 FF now announced I would say there will be a run on FF lenses.
02-25-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! Used lenses seem to be stabilizing or starting to increase a bit. The strong dollar does help with overseas trades, though.
Bodies are falling quickly, though. It's amazing to see how inexpensive former flagships are on the used market now.

02-25-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

Welcome and best wishes.
02-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.
02-28-2016, 02:13 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by jerry7171 Quote
Is there some kind of run on Pentax equipment lately?
Welcome, possibly something to do with the launch of the FF.