Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2016, 10:55 PM   #1

Hello from the altered state known as Kansas!

In high school, I learned photography on an Argus Matchmatic C3, a crude 35mm rangefinder camera that is truly painful to use. Argus designers obviously worked hard to create the worst possible ergonomics for the camera. The tiny windows for the rangefinder and viewfinder were specially designed to induce migraine headaches from eyestrain. The gear cut into the circumference of the focus knob ensures that your index finger would be scarred for life. The sleek brick shape of the camera body forces you to hold it in a claw-like grip, causing acute hand cramps for hours afterward.

So, the summer after my high school graduation, I received a Pentax K1000 35mm SLR. Believe me when I say that this camera was a revelation after using the Argus. Excellent ergonomics, comfortable grip, superior lens, the built-in exposure meter, a bright and comfortable viewfinder, the ease of focusing with the micro prism spot, its nearly self-explanatory control layout, and a beautiful finish was a stark contrast to my previous camera. The K1000 is a true joy to use. All these years later, it is still my favorite of all my cameras.

The K1000 convinced me to stay with the Pentax brand for all my subsequent camera purchases: the next was a K2, followed by an MX, a 6X7 medium format, an ME Super, an LX with several viewfinders, an ME-F (don't laugh), a SuperProgram, an Auto110 with four lenses, a 645 medium format (push button type), and finally - many years later - an MZ-S. Not to mention a dozen lenses, several Pentax flash units, and a wide variety of motor drives, autos infers, data backs, and many other genuine Pentax camera accessories.

The dawn of the 21st Century made me crave a special photography-related project. So, I decided that because I already owned several Pentax cameras that I would collect one of each K-mount manual focus Pentax camera.

So, in due course, I added a K1000 SE in brown, a K1000 SE in black, KM, KX, ME, ME SE, ME Super SE, MG, MV, MV-1, A3000, ProgramPlus, P30T, P50, and an MZ-M.

Along the way, I did pick up a pristine SF-10 and PZ-10 just to have one model from each series. I still haven't added the other variants of the P30 yet and may not; I've not decided. My friends say I should open a Pentax museum.

Besides my Pentax cameras, I also have (in no particular order): Graflex RB Series D, Graflex Pacemaker Anniversary Crown Graphic, Graflex Century Graphic, Zeiss-Ikon Ikoflex I, Minox B, Calumet 45N with Schneider 210mm f5.6 ApoSymmar lens, Kodak Brownie 2A, Kodak Retina Ia, Olympus XA, Olympus XA2, and the awkward Olympus SuperZoom 300.

Add to that my family's past selection of cameras: Polaroid 102, Keystone Everflash 20, Polaroid 600, and a Kodak Tourist II. Plus, over time, friends have given me several other Polaroid cameras and various box cameras that I won't list here.

What are my digital cameras, you ask? Pentax Optio S12 an a Pentax K-x.

02-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #2
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
Hi Focalplane. Welcome to the forum. Your collection of Pentax equipment will be the envy of many members here.
02-28-2016, 01:39 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow, that's impressive!
well K-x is still good performer, still with my Family
02-28-2016, 04:11 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Focalplane Quote
altered state known as Kansas!
Welcome to the forum, has that anything to do with a particular non Australian Wizard?

02-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the site. A few years ago I drove across Kansas on I70. While western Kansas seems to be the world's ISO standard for flatness. the Flint Hills area was very nice. I love the Great Plains. It is life on an epic scale.

There is a reason that the Argus C3 was nicknamed the brick. Very nice collection of cameras you have. My first Pentax was a Spotmatic II.
02-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Focalplane. Welcome to the forum. Your collection of Pentax equipment will be the envy of many members here.
Thank you! Even better - they all work flawlessly.

---------- Post added 02-29-16 at 07:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, has that anything to do with a particular non Australian Wizard?
Exactly ... Just don't look behind the curtain.

---------- Post added 02-29-16 at 07:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Welcome to the site. A few years ago I drove across Kansas on I70. While western Kansas seems to be the world's ISO standard for flatness. the Flint Hills area was very nice. I love the Great Plains. It is life on an epic scale.

There is a reason that the Argus C3 was nicknamed the brick. Very nice collection of cameras you have. My first Pentax was a Spotmatic II.
The world's ISO standard for flatness ... LOL! Yes, and it's the reason wide angle lenses were invented. 3D photos can be amazing ... It's why I bought the Pentax stereo adapter.

Gotta give the Argus it's due,the lens is good despite the overall crudeness of the camera itself.

Oh, Spotmatic! Don't say Spotmatic! I'm trying so hard to resist the temptation to collect Spotmatics! They're such wonderful cameras! Is your Spitmatic II brNded with Honeywell or Asahi?

---------- Post added 02-29-16 at 07:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
wow, that's impressive!
well K-x is still good performer, still with my Family
Took me a while of fidgeting with the settings, but you can make a K-x do a passable imitation of a film camera. Interestingly I find the K-x outperformed my film cameras in low light situations.
02-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

My SP II is a Honeywell.
03-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Focalplane Quote
Exactly ... Just don't look behind the curtain.
Aye cos he's only a wee guy...