Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 05:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello from NE Hungary

Hello everyone,

I am a newcomer to both the forums and photography as well. Actually I wasn't that much interested in photography but science and astronomy always interested me. In late 2014 I was watching videos on Youtube when I stumbled upon some videos on photographing the sky with simple cameras and relatively simple equipment. Until then I didn't know astrophotography was a thing. A few months later I bought my own camera, a used K-3 with a 50-200mm WR lens. I quickly realized I can take much more than night sky and nebulae with it and started the long process of Gear Acquisition. I also got sucked in by the lens database and often find myself browsing and wondering how I can save up money on some nice DA* or FA* lenses. If only...
Well, until I get a decent setup I got a few crappy and some excellent cheap stuff.

Photographing birds is one of the things I like. I always wanted to observe them up close but they are easy to spook. I took loads of shots, mostly crap but there are a few pearls in there somewhere...
A few examples:

I took this one with the 400mm manual focus Sigma APO lens. It wasn't easy and I also have the condensation in the focusing group issue. At least they were chill enough to get the shot right.

This is a series of shots of a hunting Bee Eater (Gyurgyalag in hungarian) with the DA 50-200 WR. It shows the remarkable performance of the K-3 AF system, it also shows the limitations of the lens.

A quick question regarding photo albums, what are the easiest to use/most used on the forum? I use Google Photos at the moment to post them online.

02-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from Szabadka, szep kepek, szomszed

I decided to use Flickr as Google Photos does not provide required image file extension (jpg, png, etc.) which is required to be able to post your images to some forums. As I see, you had no problems posting here, so use whichever you prefer as long as it works and you feel comfortable with.
02-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, neighbor!

I hope I'll be able to improve, so far I can tell there is more than enough room for that. Wildlife is ok, I had months to practice aiming, focusing and panning but wide angle, control of in focus areas and landscape are still a bit of mystery for me. Always lacking something. The gear is more than capable, I'm pretty sure the problem is behind the camera. Watching Thomas Heaton on Youtube makes it look so easy...
02-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #4

Do not forget to enjoy in the process, not everything is a competition

02-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some more of your images.
02-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, very kind words, I will! The only thing I have to compete with is my tight time schedule, but that's another story.
02-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome aboard, enjoy your photography the Pentax way.
02-29-2016, 10:18 PM   #8
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Sterby. Welcome to the forum. Very good 1st photographs from you. Post more soon.