Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 05:01 AM   #1

Nikon User Seeking Refuge

Dear all, I am very glad a place like this exists, thanks for creating it and keeping alive!

My name is Marcin Lewandowski and I am Ireland based photographer.

Even though I use Nikon FX cameras for my work I am currently in a process of acquiring Pentax 645D and I really look forward to its arrival. Saying this I need to admit that my knowledge about Pentax digital medium format (ish) cameras is quite limited.
After a bit of reading I decided on 645D as it was the most affordable option but I still have the lens conundrum... this is probably not the right place to ask questions etc so Ill open a new thread.

Also, just to get it out of the way, you can see my work over here: soundofphotography.com

03-02-2016, 05:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome!
I'm sure you will love the community here. There are always people ready to answer most of the questions people have and the medium format sub forum is filled with amazing photographers - enjoy yourself.
What lens did you get with your 645D?
03-02-2016, 05:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forum and the Pentax Family. I'm strictly an APS-C and soon FF Pentaxian, but there are plenty of 645 users here. Search about, there are several threads devoted to 645 images and equipment.

BTW: Had a wonderful vacation tour in Ireland some years back. Circuit all the way around the edges, plus a little excursion inland to Clonmacnoise and out to Inishmore. I have a slim connection to Ireland, a grandfather born there, but I never knew him as he passed before my parents even met.
03-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
indecided

This is the thing kp0c, I didn't get any glass yet and one of the reasons I joined is to find some help in understanding what to buy. As far as I can see ebay is full of well priced lenses but I don't know how to recognise which ones will work on the 645D. For example, I consider if I should buy this only: Pentax SMCP-FA 645 75mm f/2.8 Lens for 645 AF - USA 26121
or these:
Near Mint Pentax SMCP 645 A 200mm F 4 FOR 645N 645NII 645D W Case Filter ?359 | eBay
and
EXC SMC Pentax A 645 75mm F 2 8 Japan Limited Edition Urushi | eBay
and something wide.
I don't really mind manual focusing so ebay looks VERY promising.

WPRESTO, you probably saw more that I did, iam still to visit Inishmore :P

03-02-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
03-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, if it's not already too late... have you considered getting the 645Z.
03-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soundofphotography Quote
This is the thing kp0c, I didn't get any glass yet and one of the reasons I joined is to find some help in understanding what to buy. As far as I can see ebay is full of well priced lenses but I don't know how to recognise which ones will work on the 645D. For example, I consider if I should buy this only: Pentax SMCP-FA 645 75mm f/2.8 Lens for 645 AF - USA 26121
or these:
Near Mint Pentax SMCP 645 A 200mm F 4 FOR 645N 645NII 645D W Case Filter ?359 | eBay
and
EXC SMC Pentax A 645 75mm F 2 8 Japan Limited Edition Urushi | eBay
and something wide.
I don't really mind manual focusing so ebay looks VERY promising.

WPRESTO, you probably saw more that I did, iam still to visit Inishmore :P
If it says 645 in the name of the lens, you are good to go! Make sure to have a look at the lens database here on the website.
Pentax 645 Medium Format Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database to learn about the lenses.
But yeah, as you noticed, 645 lenses, despite most of them being very good performers, are very, very cheap on eBay. There is no catch.
I'll let a current 645D/Z answer in more details as I don't use MF at the moment.
03-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!
We can surely help you get up to speed with the 645D. Be sure to share some shots when you get going too.

03-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #9
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Marcin. Welcome to the forum.
03-04-2016, 01:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
03-04-2016, 02:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

All Pentax 645 lenses will work on all Pentax 645 cameras. Here's a quick guide to what the different lens series mean:

- "A" - These are the original 645 lenses. They lack auto-focus but will work in all exposure modes.
- "FA" - These are the first autofocus 645 lenses, designed for the 645N & 645N II film cameras. They will work in all exposure modes and will auto-focus.
- "DFA" - These are the newest lenses designed for the 645D and 645Z digital cameras. Some have in-lens auto-focus motors for quieter AF and I believe there are one or two which won't have an image circle large enough for 645 film but will of course work fine on the digital models.

I only use a film 645 camera so I can't comment on the digital aspects but from the few lenses I've used, the 75mm f/2.8 ("FA" & "A" series) and "A" 55mm f/2.8 are both superb. The latter especially would make a good normal-length prime on digital and should be cheaper than the newer "DFA" 55/2.8 autofocus model. I paid around 100GBP for mine a couple of years ago, but prices may have changed since then as the 645Z has come out.
03-04-2016, 04:52 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
All Pentax 645 lenses will work on all Pentax 645 cameras. Here's a quick guide to what the different lens series mean:

- "A" - These are the original 645 lenses. They lack auto-focus but will work in all exposure modes.
- "FA" - These are the first autofocus 645 lenses, designed for the 645N & 645N II film cameras. They will work in all exposure modes and will auto-focus.
- "DFA" - These are the newest lenses designed for the 645D and 645Z digital cameras. Some have in-lens auto-focus motors for quieter AF and I believe there are one or two which won't have an image circle large enough for 645 film but will of course work fine on the digital models.

I only use a film 645 camera so I can't comment on the digital aspects but from the few lenses I've used, the 75mm f/2.8 ("FA" & "A" series) and "A" 55mm f/2.8 are both superb. The latter especially would make a good normal-length prime on digital and should be cheaper than the newer "DFA" 55/2.8 autofocus model. I paid around 100GBP for mine a couple of years ago, but prices may have changed since then as the 645Z has come out.
Thank you all for the warm welcome.
As my focal length of choice on Nikon FX cameras is 50mm I went ahead and placed order for 75mm 2.8 DFA. This should give me approximately same angle...

At the same time I got completely mesmerised by choice of lenses on second hand market and I will definitely expand my initial choice by a number of manual focus lenses.
First I need to get used to the camera and slow down my workflow, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to work with it.

Ill be back and naturally share some images once I get my head around the camera.
03-05-2016, 12:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

All the best. I looked up the "crop factors" compared to 135 format for 645 film and digital as I couldn't remember - for film it's 0.62, so the 75mm is equivalent to 46mm and the 55mm is equiv. to 34mm. On digital, where the sensor is significantly smaller than the 645 film format, it's 0.79, so the 75mm will be like a 59mm and the 55mm will be like a 43mm.

It depends if you like your normal primes to be a little wider or a little longer.

I have and use both and find that for my style of shooting either will do in many cases. If you're using primes then you already know that it's just a question of positioning.
03-05-2016, 06:31 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
All the best. I looked up the "crop factors" compared to 135 format for 645 film and digital as I couldn't remember - for film it's 0.62, so the 75mm is equivalent to 46mm and the 55mm is equiv. to 34mm. On digital, where the sensor is significantly smaller than the 645 film format, it's 0.79, so the 75mm will be like a 59mm and the 55mm will be like a 43mm.

It depends if you like your normal primes to be a little wider or a little longer.

I have and use both and find that for my style of shooting either will do in many cases. If you're using primes then you already know that it's just a question of positioning.
I would prefer 50mm but as I had to choose a bit longer was better option. 50 is just such an elegant focal length that deviation in any direction is not really desired but I prefer a bit of extra reach.

Its always a case of positioning just like Ansel Adams said: "a good photograph is knowing where to stand".
03-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #15

GdŽday mate !

Cheers Chris