Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 05:01 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
Nikon User Seeking Refuge

Dear all, I am very glad a place like this exists, thanks for creating it and keeping alive!

My name is Marcin Lewandowski and I am Ireland based photographer.

Even though I use Nikon FX cameras for my work I am currently in a process of acquiring Pentax 645D and I really look forward to its arrival. Saying this I need to admit that my knowledge about Pentax digital medium format (ish) cameras is quite limited.
After a bit of reading I decided on 645D as it was the most affordable option but I still have the lens conundrum... this is probably not the right place to ask questions etc so Ill open a new thread.

Also, just to get it out of the way, you can see my work over here: soundofphotography.com



03-02-2016, 05:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member
kp0c's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 722
Welcome!
I'm sure you will love the community here. There are always people ready to answer most of the questions people have and the medium format sub forum is filled with amazing photographers - enjoy yourself.
What lens did you get with your 645D?
03-02-2016, 05:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30,086
Welcome to the Pentax Forum and the Pentax Family. I'm strictly an APS-C and soon FF Pentaxian, but there are plenty of 645 users here. Search about, there are several threads devoted to 645 images and equipment.

BTW: Had a wonderful vacation tour in Ireland some years back. Circuit all the way around the edges, plus a little excursion inland to Clonmacnoise and out to Inishmore. I have a slim connection to Ireland, a grandfather born there, but I never knew him as he passed before my parents even met.
03-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
Original Poster
indecided

This is the thing kp0c, I didn't get any glass yet and one of the reasons I joined is to find some help in understanding what to buy. As far as I can see ebay is full of well priced lenses but I don't know how to recognise which ones will work on the 645D. For example, I consider if I should buy this only: Pentax SMCP-FA 645 75mm f/2.8 Lens for 645 AF - USA 26121
or these:
Near Mint Pentax SMCP 645 A 200mm F 4 FOR 645N 645NII 645D W Case Filter ?359 | eBay
and
EXC SMC Pentax A 645 75mm F 2 8 Japan Limited Edition Urushi | eBay
and something wide.
I don't really mind manual focusing so ebay looks VERY promising.

WPRESTO, you probably saw more that I did, iam still to visit Inishmore :P

03-02-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,973
Welcome to the forums.
03-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 35,384
Welcome aboard, if it's not already too late... have you considered getting the 645Z.
03-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member
kp0c's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 722
QuoteOriginally posted by soundofphotography Quote
This is the thing kp0c, I didn't get any glass yet and one of the reasons I joined is to find some help in understanding what to buy. As far as I can see ebay is full of well priced lenses but I don't know how to recognise which ones will work on the 645D. For example, I consider if I should buy this only: Pentax SMCP-FA 645 75mm f/2.8 Lens for 645 AF - USA 26121
or these:
Near Mint Pentax SMCP 645 A 200mm F 4 FOR 645N 645NII 645D W Case Filter ?359 | eBay
and
EXC SMC Pentax A 645 75mm F 2 8 Japan Limited Edition Urushi | eBay
and something wide.
I don't really mind manual focusing so ebay looks VERY promising.

WPRESTO, you probably saw more that I did, iam still to visit Inishmore :P
If it says 645 in the name of the lens, you are good to go! Make sure to have a look at the lens database here on the website.
Pentax 645 Medium Format Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database to learn about the lenses.
But yeah, as you noticed, 645 lenses, despite most of them being very good performers, are very, very cheap on eBay. There is no catch.
I'll let a current 645D/Z answer in more details as I don't use MF at the moment.
03-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,904
Welcome!
We can surely help you get up to speed with the 645D. Be sure to share some shots when you get going too.

03-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #9
pjv
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pjv's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,371
Hi Marcin. Welcome to the forum.
03-04-2016, 01:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,276
G'day mate and welcome to the forum
03-04-2016, 02:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,951
All Pentax 645 lenses will work on all Pentax 645 cameras. Here's a quick guide to what the different lens series mean:

- "A" - These are the original 645 lenses. They lack auto-focus but will work in all exposure modes.
- "FA" - These are the first autofocus 645 lenses, designed for the 645N & 645N II film cameras. They will work in all exposure modes and will auto-focus.
- "DFA" - These are the newest lenses designed for the 645D and 645Z digital cameras. Some have in-lens auto-focus motors for quieter AF and I believe there are one or two which won't have an image circle large enough for 645 film but will of course work fine on the digital models.

I only use a film 645 camera so I can't comment on the digital aspects but from the few lenses I've used, the 75mm f/2.8 ("FA" & "A" series) and "A" 55mm f/2.8 are both superb. The latter especially would make a good normal-length prime on digital and should be cheaper than the newer "DFA" 55/2.8 autofocus model. I paid around 100GBP for mine a couple of years ago, but prices may have changed since then as the 645Z has come out.
03-04-2016, 04:52 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
All Pentax 645 lenses will work on all Pentax 645 cameras. Here's a quick guide to what the different lens series mean:

- "A" - These are the original 645 lenses. They lack auto-focus but will work in all exposure modes.
- "FA" - These are the first autofocus 645 lenses, designed for the 645N & 645N II film cameras. They will work in all exposure modes and will auto-focus.
- "DFA" - These are the newest lenses designed for the 645D and 645Z digital cameras. Some have in-lens auto-focus motors for quieter AF and I believe there are one or two which won't have an image circle large enough for 645 film but will of course work fine on the digital models.

I only use a film 645 camera so I can't comment on the digital aspects but from the few lenses I've used, the 75mm f/2.8 ("FA" & "A" series) and "A" 55mm f/2.8 are both superb. The latter especially would make a good normal-length prime on digital and should be cheaper than the newer "DFA" 55/2.8 autofocus model. I paid around 100GBP for mine a couple of years ago, but prices may have changed since then as the 645Z has come out.
Thank you all for the warm welcome.
As my focal length of choice on Nikon FX cameras is 50mm I went ahead and placed order for 75mm 2.8 DFA. This should give me approximately same angle...

At the same time I got completely mesmerised by choice of lenses on second hand market and I will definitely expand my initial choice by a number of manual focus lenses.
First I need to get used to the camera and slow down my workflow, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to work with it.

Ill be back and naturally share some images once I get my head around the camera.
03-05-2016, 12:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,951
All the best. I looked up the "crop factors" compared to 135 format for 645 film and digital as I couldn't remember - for film it's 0.62, so the 75mm is equivalent to 46mm and the 55mm is equiv. to 34mm. On digital, where the sensor is significantly smaller than the 645 film format, it's 0.79, so the 75mm will be like a 59mm and the 55mm will be like a 43mm.

It depends if you like your normal primes to be a little wider or a little longer.

I have and use both and find that for my style of shooting either will do in many cases. If you're using primes then you already know that it's just a question of positioning.
03-05-2016, 06:31 AM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
All the best. I looked up the "crop factors" compared to 135 format for 645 film and digital as I couldn't remember - for film it's 0.62, so the 75mm is equivalent to 46mm and the 55mm is equiv. to 34mm. On digital, where the sensor is significantly smaller than the 645 film format, it's 0.79, so the 75mm will be like a 59mm and the 55mm will be like a 43mm.

It depends if you like your normal primes to be a little wider or a little longer.

I have and use both and find that for my style of shooting either will do in many cases. If you're using primes then you already know that it's just a question of positioning.
I would prefer 50mm but as I had to choose a bit longer was better option. 50 is just such an elegant focal length that deviation in any direction is not really desired but I prefer a bit of extra reach.

Its always a case of positioning just like Ansel Adams said: "a good photograph is knowing where to stand".
03-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8
GdŽday mate !

Cheers Chris
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
55mm, 645d, adams, ansel, bit, cameras, direction, film, fx, new to medium format, nikon, nikon user, option, pentax, photograph, reach, switch
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Undecided Nikon User MasMax Pentax K-3 40 07-07-2015 09:52 AM
nikon user dakine Welcomes and Introductions 3 03-08-2014 06:54 PM
Seeking Flash Trigger Recomandation From user Who Has Experience W/ Long Studio Shoo esben Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 9 07-09-2013 05:44 PM
Hello my name is Ron I'm a reformed Nikon user user wolffy Welcomes and Introductions 13 03-16-2012 08:39 AM
Seeking opinions on switching systems (Pentax to Nikon) lapeen Pentax DSLR Discussion 211 03-23-2009 08:15 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top