Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #1

K-r camera

Hi! I'm new on here. I've had my camera a few years and always used the automatic function. I have always been pleased with the results. This year (2016) I decided to use the other functions i.e. M, AV, etc. Now I am in the dark! I don't know how to use it. For instance, How do I change the f.stop? When I take a photo in my house with only house lights for illumination the resulting photo has an overall yellow-ness. Any help will be much appreciated.

Ivor

03-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

What lens are you using, the 18-55? If it is a DA lens, the f-stop changes using the wheel. Put the camera on Av and use the wheel to change it. Then if you put it on a setting such as M it will keep the F stop you selected, and now you can change the shutter speed to a custom setting. And so on.

Regarding the yellow in the picture, there's a White Balance (WB) button on the back of the camera. What was the setting the camera had? If Auto is not working well for what you want, you can pick a different one or make a custom setting.

Did yours come with a manual? If it didn't, it can be found here: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-r.pdf

Also some good reading here in our forums: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/49-pentax-articles/
03-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
03-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have some work to do learning photography. I suggest a starter book such as Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson,

Also, there are many resources on the internet.

The yellowness is due to the color of the light. Tungsten or incandescent bulbs produce a very yellow light. This can be corrected if you set the cameras white balance to 'tungsten'.

03-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Check out this guide to learn about exposure: The Fundamentals of Exposure - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

It contains all you need to know about shutter speed and aperture.

As for the yelowness, that's related to your white balance setting. I know this might be a lot to take in, but the best way to ensure a property white balance is to shoot in raw. You can then develop the files on playback mode and change the white balance retroactively to the setting that looks best.

Alternatively, you can manually change the white balance to indoor or tungsten prior to shooting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hey, welcome! The K-r is a good camera to build skills with. Was my first Pentax DSLR as well
I think the above posts already explained everything.
You cannot change f-stop in all modes. You can change it in Av using the e-dial (left of the AF/AE-L button). In M mode you can change both f-stop and shutter sped. You use the same wheel, and the +/- Av button near the shutter button to switch between which one you are changing. ISO has its own button and you can choose a specific number or a range. The orange-ness is a WB issue - it is the button opposite to the ISO button. There you can choose AWB for auto WB, or one of the other specific modes. Usually AWB is good enough, but for indoors you want to change it to Tungsten. Though, it depends on lights. These days, there are many types of artificial lights, so you might even have to use a custom WB.
Each of the camera modes allows some more control and has some automation. I think most photographers use P and Av mode for usual, daily shooting; and the others mainly for specific needs (for example, use Tv mode when you want a specific shutter effect, like motion blur or motion perfectly frozen). There are many blogs out there about this, and I think the K-r manual can be helpful as well. You can download a pdf version of the manual and put it on your smart phone, so you have it with you always.

Advanced modes do not make things easier for you; they give you more control, so you can get precisely what you want. Sometimes you might want that orangeness, other times you want to correct it. Sometimes you want to use fast shutter speed so a moving subject gets frozen in the image, other times you want a slow shutter speed so that the motion blur can be seen in the photo.
Good luck!
03-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, your now discovering the real fun side of photography, enjoy.

03-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Ivor. Welcome aboard the forum.
03-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hey! Thanks, folks! Your responses are greatly appreciated. I certainly do have a great deal on of work ahead of me! But, now I've started...there'll be no stopping me.