Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #1

Pentax K3 ii vs Canon 5D mark ii

Hello out there,
I'm new in this forum but have been taking photos since a couple of decades... Mostly with Pentax cameras and Canon. Now I'm in planning phase of changing system again. I have been taking pictures with Canon 50D for a couple of years and are planning to upgrade to 5D mark ii but the thing is that for the same price i buy this second hand I can buy a brand new pentax K3 ii and I really love my old pentax film cameras (K1000, MX) with a bunch of sharp lenses and think it could be nice to have a newer digital SLR also. Now to the question. How is the K3 compared to Canon 5D (with except from full frame)?

I mostly enjoy to stay out in the field especially in a coastal environment with tough weather conditions and I do like to take photos in natural light with no flashes. not matter if it is summertime or wintertime. So the durability and relability of my equipment is very important.

Can anyone advise me in this matter?

cheers!

03-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure how you get around the difference in format. FF is going to be different regardless.

K-3 sensor is a bit newer so performance might be similar but still not sure how you compare the two cameras.
03-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My uncle got mad that his 5D mk ii didn't have as good of pics as my old K5 did, and the K3 outperforms the K5, so I'd go with the K3.
03-08-2016, 03:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've just bought a 5d2 last weekend but I'd be absolutely amazed if my K3II doesn't outperform it in all sorts of respects. 5d2 is 5 year old technology. If nothing else a crop camera like k-3 has smaller files and less to process, and it also has a faster more recent processor. For example FPS, K-3II is double 5d2. Also I bet K-3ii's higher ISO is better.

03-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

K-3II for detail, pixel shift resolution, GPS, and Astrotracer. You won't be sorry.
03-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
but still not sure how you compare the two cameras.
What he said. I have a friend who shoots with the 5DM2 and consistently gets fabulous results. We sometimes are shooting the same subject and aside from the fact that I lust after her EF 100mm f/2.8L macro, I am quite happy with my interpretations with the K-3. If I were gifted a 5DM2 with a couple of lenses, I certainly would not sell it, neither would I cash out my Pentax system.

Steve
03-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

K-3II versus 5D2 is APS-C versus FF. So be aware that on APS-C system, your lenses are cropped, ie focal length is x1.5, and you get a telephoto advantage. Whether that is important to you depends on your type of photography. Those who do for example sports and nature will normally like that advantage. But if you prioritise shallow DOF, maybe FF is for you.

But more than that - with the K-3II (or for that matter, any Pentax body), remember that you can utilise Pentax Limited lenses, both the DA LTD and FA LTD ranges, with their superb image quality and famous, lovely rendering. And they're compact too.

Last edited by KDAFA; 03-08-2016 at 04:53 PM.
03-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forums
03-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
KDD
Veteran Member

Canon 5D Mark II vs Pentax K-3 - Our Analysis
03-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The downside of the 5DII is the AF in low light and slow FPS. When the 5DII was released, AF were less sensitive than the last generation AF such as the one in K-3. Other than AF and FPS, the 5DII has a large sensor, so even if according to DXO, the K-3 should provide better DR etc... in practice, the 5DII will still deliver further image quality. But the K-3 image quality should be pretty close; in a smaller camera body. Although usually it's better to select a brand by the lenses available; lenses life cycles are 10 years or more, and camera bodies cycle faster.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-08-2016 at 09:45 PM.
03-08-2016, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

If you decide to commit to the world of FF Canon, a used 5D Mk II is pretty good value.
03-08-2016, 10:06 PM   #12
Closed Account

Hi mogge. Welcome aboard the Pentax forum. Good luck with your choice of camera.
03-09-2016, 02:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
But more than that - with the K-3II (or for that matter, any Pentax body), remember that you can utilise Pentax Limited lenses, both the DA LTD and FA LTD ranges, with their superb image quality and famous, lovely rendering. And they're compact too.
Yet, Pentax DA Limited lenses (despite they are good optically) can't endure tough weather conditions because are not WR. Also, Pixel shift is useless in tough weather conditions (wind, rain, etc.). Keep in mind these 2 important things.

It's a tough choice...and that's coming from an ex Pentax user (a current Canon user). Canon needs good glass in order to get the most out from the full frame sensor and L lenses aren't cheap.

You can't go wrong with either of them if you ask me.
03-09-2016, 03:31 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think a lot depends on what you shoot. The 5D MK II will be better in low light/high iso settings (I would have a little concern about the auto focus, but it would probably be fine), while the K3 II will be better with regard to low iso dynamic range, frame rate and a lot of other bells and whistles. Canon has kind of fallen behind in some respects in sensor development (in particular, low iso performance) and the 5D MK II is an older camera.

All of that said, I would sit down and look at lenses that you think you would want for each system and make a decision based on that. Camera bodies really do come and go, but you will be able to use the glass you get for a long time.
03-09-2016, 05:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Yet, Pentax DA Limited lenses (despite they are good optically) can't endure tough weather conditions because are not WR.
Keep in mind Canon L lens do need front filter to be "WR".

You don't use a 10$ cheap filter on them, or you'll ruin the utility of a good L lens. You use a very good filter, and that is expensive, like 100-200$ expensive. And that really price up the whole setup.

In that case, i say a K3 with a DA* is a far better value, if you want WR.