Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #1

Downsizing and discovered we have a pristine pentax LX

Husband is former lover of photography-now we're sailing. I'm trying to learn more about the camera equipment tucked in closets here and discovered we have a Pentax LX with loads of accessories, case, and booklet. Is this the place to learn more about what we have and what to do with it? We would rather this equipment go to people who actually love photography and I'd like some guidance on how to sell it. Do people sell their equipment as a set, or part it out?

Thank you in advance for any help. We also have my old Pentax K camera (chrome/black). This must be a common thread as us baby-boomers get rid of a lifetime of hobby objects...

Kind regards~
Joy

03-10-2016, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go ahead and list the cameras on the marketplace.

It's best to give users the flexibility to buying the items they want. Kits are great but it's much harder to find a buyer that will want everything.

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax and Photo Equipment - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
Do you recommend Ebay as a source for pricing items? Is there a resource here for pricing?
03-10-2016, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ebay is a good place to look for current prices, yes. See also the "sold" section of the marketplace and our camera database:

Pentax LX - Sold Items

Pentax LX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-10-2016, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joylovessailing Quote
Do you recommend Ebay as a source for pricing items? Is there a resource here for pricing?
On Ebay, you can also refine by completed items. The prices of those that sold will be in green and those that did not will be in red. For an item as common as the LX, you will get a very good feel for the prices people are paying.
03-10-2016, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
pjv
Eager To Learn

Hi joylovessailing. Welcome " aboard " the Pentax forum. What a fantastic find with the LX.
03-10-2016, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #7
mee
Site Supporter

You're going to find it easier to sell each lens and camera body individually. You'll also likely make the most money this way too.

You can sell on the marketplace here, locally (err if you're not on the water haha), or on ebay. Though I will say ebay takes a 10% cut of your sell price.

I'd do your due diligence on checking pricing before offering anything for sale, lest you end up selling it for too low. Or offering it for too high a price and it not selling at all. As, Adam said check the sold items listing (here and on ebay -- you can filter them down to use Sold items) to get a better feel for current market prices.

I once heard a lady try to tell my Granddad that a lamp he had wasn't worth much and she would buy it from him.. only to get it appraised and discovered it was worth much much more than she claimed it was. Be careful.
03-10-2016, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all for your advice-I *will* do my due diligence and when I get organized, I'll post the items here in the marketplace. What a lovely group you all are!

~Joy

03-11-2016, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Someone posted recently about wanting an LX. I bought a whole kit here a few years ago, which I've added to a little as well, but the option of broken up would likely go quicker, maybe with a discount as a set.
03-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, the LX is still IMHO one of finest Pentax cameras made.

Many here still go misty eyed at the thought of one, in fact I still have a couple of mine around the place here.