Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Member from Southern Maine

Hi there everybody. Thanks for having me

Firstly, I have to say WOW, there sure is a lot of great activity on this forum.

My name is Jim and I live in coastal Maine. I've been into photography for some time, starting out with my first SLR in the late 70s.
Times have surely changed, but as an early-adopter type of person, I really enjoy technology.

Over the past 4 years or so, I've been mostly using a Canon Powershot Sx50hs with a huge superzoom. It has served me well, out on the ocean and off. I've enjoyed taking moon photos, wildlife, landscape, etc. I also do the bulk of the photography for the Bluefin Tuna Tournament that I help out with. Our website is Sturdivant Island Tuna Tournament

For Christmas I recieved an updated model, the Canon Powershot sx60hs (with wi-fi) but even with this I have found myself limited by my camera recently when I was doing some HDR bracketed shots at twilight and needed/wanted to keep the lens open for more than 15 seconds. My Canon has NO bulb mode.

On the positive side I can read the name of a boat that's miles away, do beautiful lunar shots, and even show the moons circling Jupiter. The Canon has been filling its niche, but I do need more control. I'm not looking to replace it, instead to compliment it's capabilities.

One common thread I see when reading other's posts in this forum is most already have some old Pentax SLRs and lenses in there possession.... and that is true with me. I also have a couple of Pentax K100s and a bunch of lenses that I've collected over the years, that would be GREAT to re-purpose.

That being said, I expect to become a Pentax DSLR owner sometime soon... and I'm looking forward to the journey.

Last edited by Maine_Capt; 03-11-2016 at 04:14 PM.
03-11-2016, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Maine_Capt Quote
My name is Jim and I live in coastal Maine.
My name is Jim and I wish I lived in coastal Maine.
Welcome to the forum.
03-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Jim! Glad to be here
03-11-2016, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

Hi Jim. Welcome to the Pentax forum.

03-11-2016, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
03-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

I'm also looking forward to adding to my image portfolio. Planning to hit some scenic waterfalls tomorrow.

The artistic part of the photography hobby is calling to me. Long expoures, tripods and stacked images have me excited. The Canon is not ideal. Looking over the Pentax line but hoping to get in without taking out a loan
03-12-2016, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great photo opportunities in Maine. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots.

03-12-2016, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome, always good to "recycle" back into use fine Pentax glass.
03-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #9

Original Poster
I'm wicked psyched... My first "modern" Pentax will be here in just a few days.

Purchased a good-looking used K50 kit on the FOR SALE forum today.

Included in my purchase are a DA L 18-55mm AL WR , 50-200mm ED WR lenses, a flash, a Pentax camera bag, etc

I think this will be good introduction to the core capabilities of the Pentax line... without (like I said before) taking out a loan.

Whooo! Hoooo!
03-22-2016, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #10

Hi there everybody. Thanks for having me

Firstly, I have to say WOW, there sure is a lot of great activity on this forum.

My name is Jim and I live in coastal Maine. I've been into photography for some time, starting out with my first SLR in the late 70s.
Times have surely changed, but as an early-adopter type of person, I really enjoy technology.

Over the past 4 years or so, I've been mostly using a Canon Powershot Sx50hs with a huge superzoom. It has served me well, out on the ocean and off. I've enjoyed taking moon photos, wildlife, landscape, etc. I also do the bulk of the photography for the Bluefin Tuna Tournament that I help out with. Our website is Sturdivant Island Tuna Tournament

For Christmas I recieved an updated model, the Canon Powershot sx60hs (with wi-fi) but even with this I have found myself limited by my camera recently when I was doing some HDR bracketed shots at twilight and needed/wanted to keep the lens open for more than 15 seconds. My Canon has NO bulb mode.

On the positive side I can read the name of a boat that's miles away, do beautiful lunar shots, and even show the moons circling Jupiter. The Canon has been filling its niche, but I do need more control. I'm not looking to replace it, instead to compliment it's capabilities.

One common thread I see when reading other's posts in this forum is most already have some old Pentax SLRs and lenses in there possession.... and that is true with me. I also have a couple of Pentax K100s and a bunch of lenses that I've collected over the years, that would be GREAT to re-purpose.

That being said, I expect to become a Pentax DSLR owner sometime soon... and I'm looking forward to the journey.
I have a Pentax *ist D This camera is a work horse and has B setting. Great camera. It uses the CF CARD which might have a difficult time getting some. But believe you can get them on line,
Hope this help,

---------- Post added 03-22-16 at 10:52 AM ----------

I'm wicked psyched... My first "modern" Pentax will be here in just a few days.

Purchased a good-looking used K50 kit on the FOR SALE forum today.

Included in my purchase are a DA L 18-55mm AL WR , 50-200mm ED WR lenses, a flash, a Pentax camera bag, etc

I think this will be good introduction to the core capabilities of the Pentax line... without (like I said before) taking out a loan.

Whooo! Hoooo!
Great choice !!!
03-25-2016, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. Would love to see your lunar shots.
03-25-2016, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Hi again everyone.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to in the field with my new (to me) K50. Did take a few shots during the ice storm today though.

I'd be happy to post some of the shots I've taken with my Canon SX50 HS of the Moon. Actually I'll post a few that I took the first weekend I had that camera. Didn't have a tripod with me, but I did rest the body on a window-sill of the hotel I was staying in.

The first photo attached to this post was taken at full zoom (with no optical zoom). 215mm f6.5.....
Keep in mind, the crop factor that the small sensor and lens combo has, means the effective magnification is very high for that focal length.

The second image has a lot of optical zoom applied (in the camera). The third shot was a RAW image that I made minor adjustments to in Adobe Camera Raw.

The final shot was a couple of weeks later when the moon, clouds and trees were playing very nicely.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
03-25-2016, 11:00 PM   #13

Original Poster
Here's a few more of images taken with my Canon SX50 HS... or my newer SX60 HS. These give a bit of insight into my interests.

Well, anyway, I promise to post some Pentax shots very soon. Have a great weekend
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF