Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2016, 01:39 PM - 6 Likes   #1

K-1 has made a new Pentax user out of me.

Howdy,

I've been a CX and DX body Nikon user up until now. After watching prices on what was to become my first full frame Nikon once the price dropped enough, and watching news of one quality control problem after the next... the announcement of the K-1 resonated in a big way with me. I've sold my Nikon bodies and glass, and still managed to put way too much on credit cards jumping into Pentax enthusiastically.

I look forward to being a part of this community and learning about the equipment and history of the brand as I go!

Best,

Steve

03-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Steve, welcome here!
03-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome indeed, but what specifically led you away from Nikon to Pentax. QC issues have beset more than one manufacturer. Prices vary according to the camera. Just curious what moved you.
03-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SBeck Quote
Howdy,

I've been a CX and DX body Nikon user up until now. After watching prices on what was to become my first full frame Nikon once the price dropped enough, and watching news of one quality control problem after the next... the announcement of the K-1 resonated in a big way with me. I've sold my Nikon bodies and glass, and still managed to put way too much on credit cards jumping into Pentax enthusiastically.

I look forward to being a part of this community and learning about the equipment and history of the brand as I go!

Best,

Steve
Welcome to the club, Steve!

03-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The the US price, the K-1 really gives you a lot of bang for the buck. Welcome aboard!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax. You will find this is a very friendly site with more information available than any normal brain could ever process. It's a bit like The Eagles "Hotel California" - "you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave."
03-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome!

Thank you for putting your trust in Pentax. Crossing my fingers that it all goes smoothly for you.

03-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #8
Closed Account

Hi Steve. Welcome to the Pentax forum, and welcome to Pentax equipment.
03-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Welcome indeed, but what specifically led you away from Nikon to Pentax. QC issues have beset more than one manufacturer. Prices vary according to the camera. Just curious what moved you.
Some of it was pure impulse that I embraced, however the main attraction was a combination of the IBIS, the attention to detail in construction, the value of the body itself (even though I splurged on lenses - I am much more comfortable investing in good glass than in a body that will be obsolete in comparatively less time), the legacy lenses, and the dedicated/detailed support readily available on this site!

I only wish I could readily adapt some of my older nikon lenses (micro-nikkor 200/4 is going to be hard to replace - I went with the dfa 100/2.8 for now)
03-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums Steve. Pentax is a wise choice.
03-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of it was pure impulse that I embraced, however the main attraction was a combination of the IBIS, the attention to detail in construction, the value of the body itself (even though I splurged on lenses - I am much more comfortable investing in good glass than in a body that will be obsolete in comparatively less time), the legacy lenses, and the dedicated/detailed support readily available on this site!
Well done, Steve!

There are a very small few on these forums who might say you could have got a Sony A7S with outstanding video capability for the same kind of outlay... but the attractions you listed above are precisely what differentiates the K-1 (actually, Pentax DSLRs generally) from other options.
03-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #12

Original Poster
Sony's rapid update cycle makes them completely unappealing to me, even though some of their contributions have been incredible.
03-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #13

Steve, welcome… and darn- I was going to refer you to Leitax, but I had forgotten that Nikon lenses may very well not be convertible to Pentax mount. Could be worth verifying that further though.
03-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Welcome! I moved from Canon to Pentax back in 2012 and haven't looked back.
03-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
K-1 has made a new Pentax user out of me.
Welcome, it will make many existing Pentax users new again too, myself included.