Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Hi from London ...

Ontario ... the boring London ;-)

Just wanted to say hi to all of you Pentaxians and the rest of the crew on this great forum!

You've been a great source of info and assistance.

A bit of camera geek background (just to get it out of the way), I went from a Nikon FE in high school (the beat up K1000s? that the camera club had just weren't as cool as the Nikon) that accompanied me through various editorial jobs, a Canon Elan IIe with that amazing eye-controlled focus, then moved digital with the Canon Pro90s, Minolta D7i, Panasonic FZ150, Canon 60D, Fuji X-S1, Nikon D3100 and finally to an amazing little camera you all know ... the K-3!

Who would have thought that I paid about the same for the K-3 18-135 kit that I paid for the D7i back in the day. I was an early adopter and probably overpaid for the whole experience ;-)

Got the K-3 yesterday, charged up the batteries last night and had a hoot just checking it out. Also, I bought a 80-320 from Forum member Imp and love the way the lens (or the camera's screw motor) sounds like a trip to the dentist ... and the fact that it kicks like a 12 gauge locking into focus! I can't wait to get outside with it, the inside the house focus at night was impressive and not to shabby in low light focusing speed.

I didn't know Pentax had such an amazing reputation as a rugged camera, let alone had digital SLRs ... please don't flame me for my brainwashed CaNikon view I thought Pentax was only point and shoot pocket cameras ... most likely due to the fact that you can't find the Pentax lineup in many retail locations.

I was ready to get the Panasonic FZ1000 when I discovered the K-cameras about two months ago from a kijiji ad and did some research and now here I is!

I can't believe the quality of the K-3, the ease-of-use that it offers while shooting vs the Canon or Nikon. Yep, the hype here on the forum is true.

Anyway, while it's a great camera, it's still just a tool. Now I've got to get out and see what I can do with it.

Take care,
Newfie

03-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Newfie it's good that you could join us. And thank you for the very interesting introduction.
03-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
03-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
Closed Account

Hi Newfie. Welcome to the Pentax forums.

03-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard.

From the other side of the inland sea.
03-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome...from your handle I assume you are from Newfoundland. I lived there for 3 years when I was very small, but surprisingly, have strong memories.

Ain't Pentax great! Wait till you get your first Limited lens and realize ALL the vintage Pentax lenses can be used on your K-3
03-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums from another Londoner (I love it). If you need to buy Pentax in London go to Forest City Image on Dundas and Clarence, Last time I was in there they had a good selection in stock and they match prices so you can check equipment out in hand and not have to wait for delivery.

03-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Welcome to the forum Newfie it's good that you could join us. And thank you for the very interesting introduction.
Thanks eaglem!

I should spend less time talkin' and more time shootin! ;-)

Take care,
Craig

---------- Post added 03-17-16 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
Thanks wtlwdwgn!

That's why I bought the camera!

---------- Post added 03-17-16 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Newfie. Welcome to the Pentax forums.
Thanks pjv!

---------- Post added 03-17-16 at 10:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Welcome aboard.

From the other side of the inland sea.
How true about the inland sea! It can serve up a few surpises to boaters too!

---------- Post added 03-17-16 at 10:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
Welcome...from your handle I assume you are from Newfoundland. I lived there for 3 years when I was very small, but surprisingly, have strong memories.

Ain't Pentax great! Wait till you get your first Limited lens and realize ALL the vintage Pentax lenses can be used on your K-3
Hi Jeverettefine,
Since you're from Texas, were your folks stationed at one of the bases on the Rock?

---------- Post added 03-17-16 at 10:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Welcome to the forums from another Londoner (I love it). If you need to buy Pentax in London go to Forest City Image on Dundas and Clarence, Last time I was in there they had a good selection in stock and they match prices so you can check equipment out in hand and not have to wait for delivery.
Yo Silver Surfer ... duuude .... ;-)
Forest City was my first stop but they didn't have the K-3. I would have loved to have given them my money as the owner runs a good ship down there.
03-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum and photography the Pentax way.
03-18-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum and photography the Pentax way.
Thanks Kerrowdown!!
03-26-2016, 01:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your K3.