Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

New to forum interested in landscapes

Hello, I am also new to Pentax and wondering what lenses are recommended for Landscape and architecture photography

03-30-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HonestZabe Quote
what lenses are recommended for Landscape and architecture photography
Welcome to the forum, usually on the wider end of the lens scale and rectilinear if you can get them too.
03-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Landscape can be anything really, from the 15mm Limited to the DA*60-250. I probably shoot as many landscapes with the 60-250 as anything. Depends on what look you are after.

For architecture I guess you need to say indoor or outdoor? For indoor you want as wide as possible, Pentax 12-24 or Sigma 10-20. Outdoor depends a lot on what you are shooting and how much room you have to back up. For homes maybe the 12-24 or the 16-85. For big buildings? Not sure, maybe the shift lens from Samyang.
03-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hello, I am also new to Pentax and wondering what lenses are recommended for Landscape and architecture photography
welcome to the forums. with that, i'll offer a piece of friendly advice. narrow your topic down considerably.
such an open ended question may lead to a 500 reply thread but it will not help you in the least.

I would recommend you add:

Years of photo experience
Current camera body
Subject matter (waterfalls/mountain/seascape etc)
Price Range for lens
How many lenses you intend to purchase in next 6 months
How often you take pictures
Physical limitations
Hiking ability

Those are the first things that come to mind.

Depending on your photography experience, skillset, subjects, budget etc, there better lenses for you. I have 30 years of photography experience and a budget limited only by the number of sales I make in a year. I am capable of carrying a 35lb backpack with tripod up to 6 miles r/t and 1500 feet of elevation gain. What lenses I own, or desire to own could be very different than yours.

You will have to consider zooms or primes, ability to use filters, weight, price, availability, image quality and shooting style when choosing a lens.

If you can give definitive answers to all these questions, the 300 or so helpful folks here will be able to narrow your lens choices down to 50 or 60....lol

03-30-2016, 03:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have the funds for it, probably start with the DA 16-85 and then add in primes once you figure out what your favorite focal lengths are. If you are always on the wide end, than the DA 15 is a pretty safe choice.

...And welcome to the forum!
03-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #6

I enjoy Landscape / Travel photography and have some issues with foot pain. That said I like zoom lens and my favorite wide angle is the Sigma 10-20 F3.5. I keep it on my camera most of the time. The Pentax 18-135 is also a great all around lens. For a limited amount of money you have a good start. If you don't have a body yet the K3 is fabulous.
03-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Pentax 16-85.

03-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
Forum Member

like you, i am new to pentax, though an old hand at photo-hobbying. imo, when one tries a new system, they seldom want to jump in with both feet, or in this case, bet the house on a bunch of equipment.

for me, i like landscape and street work, and found a nice WA zoom can work for both. not wanting to bet the farm, i deliberately tried out the DA ltd 20-40/2.8-4. its small, light, great FL range for what i do, relatively fast, and inexpensive. i paired it with the smallest dslr pentax had, the ks2. i wasnt expecting a whole bunch, but wow, was i pleasantly surprised! this lens/sensor combo really pops! for landscapes, i just love the micro contrast and rich color. i was so happy that i invested more money on a portrait lens, the fa ltd 77/1.8.

anyway, i highly recommend the 20-40 as a low cost/high reward way to dabble in pentax to see if it fits your eye and style.
03-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
Closed Account

Hi Honestzabe. Welcome to the Pentax forums.