Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #1

Hi guys

Hey guys,

My name is Russell, based in Cairns, North Queensland. I have. Just bought my first ever camera, a Pentax KS-1 DSLR. I bought it with a basic 18-55 lens.

I know very little about cameras and photography, but am very keen to learn. I have always been into bird watching and love wildlife. I think I will base my photography around this and just see what it brings.

Thanks guys

Russell

04-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! We're here to help if you're ever lost This guide might prove to be a useful starting point for learning how exposure works:

The Fundamentals of Exposure - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Adam,

Thanks for that. I am actually out at the moment playing around and just using the the auto programs and trying to get my head around the ultimate basics.

I shall read this article when I get home, much appreciated.

Russell
04-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I took my manual out with me religiously when I was first starting out. I look forward to seeing where photography takes you, and welcome to the forums!

04-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
K McCall that's a good idea! I was thinking about a cheat sheet for when taking pics and setting the camera up.

I am yet to do more research, but I am hoping to find out which photos used which programs/settings when I get back so that I can identify strengths and weaknesses of each setting
04-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's a list of recommended settings & explanations for each setting:
Pentax K-S2 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

These are for the K-S2, but most apply to the K-S1 as well (most notably the electronic level display, which the K-S1 lacks).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-02-2016, 11:34 PM   #7
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Russell. Welcome to the Pentax forums mate. Quite a helpful bunch here if you need assistance with anything photographic.
04-03-2016, 01:25 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's a list of recommended settings & explanations for each setting:
Pentax K-S2 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

These are for the K-S2, but most apply to the K-S1 as well (most notably the electronic level display, which the K-S1 lacks).
Thanks Adam,

I will look tonight

---------- Post added 04-03-16 at 01:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Russell. Welcome to the Pentax forums mate. Quite a helpful bunch here if you need assistance with anything photographic.
Hi PJV,

It certainly seems that way. Hopefully I can get the most possible from everyone here and start taking some great photographs!

04-03-2016, 01:57 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, enjoy both this and your photography.
04-05-2016, 03:42 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hey guys,

Still plugging away. Is this just a hobby for you guys or a bit more serious?

If a hobby, how many hours per week do you get to spend?
04-05-2016, 06:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!
Hobby, passion, science. I use my camera to do field surveys, looking for native bees and other insects. That information is shared a bit haphazardly right now, but since everything is geotagged it can be organized fairly easily. Identifying the insects via photography rather than microscopic examination means I don't always get to know exact species but it's good enough for now.

As for time, it's steadily pushing other hobbies aside. Though it's easy enough to take the camera when we take the dogs places, so I can get shots as I see things.
04-05-2016, 07:06 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RussellCNS Quote
Hey guys,

Still plugging away. Is this just a hobby for you guys or a bit more serious?

If a hobby, how many hours per week do you get to spend?
When I was in my carefree youth, I spent almost all my non-working, waking hours devoted to photography (either taking photos or post-processing). Now I am a mother to two young children, so most of my photography necessarily features them. At this point in my life, I'd say I devote about 3 hours a week (some weeks no time, some weeks more).
04-06-2016, 01:33 AM   #13

Original Poster
Hi guys,

Thank for everyone's input! It sounds like it's a very popular hobby, with a mixed amount of time commitment. Which is attractive at the moment, as I have a rather packed schedule with a few other hobbies taking more importance (for now).

Time wise, I think that would be acceptable to spend 15-30 mins a night working on doctoring the photographs. Just have to look at getting a photoshop program, Lightroom is popular?

I am very much into my outdoor exercise as well, although I think I may have to widen my scope of where I exercise to accomodate more opportunities.

I was looking at getting a 2nd lens to go with the 18-55mm. A 50-200 lens for basic wildlife photography pictures? Would that be sufficient for a beginner?
04-06-2016, 05:28 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can afford it, go straight for one of the 55-300 variants. You can often find them very inexpensively on the Marketplace here. That lens will do you for a good while.
04-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #15
smf
Loyal Site Supporter

Responding to the original poster's question about Lightroom's popularity:

Yes, Lightroom is popular. For processing, some people prefer other software instead of or in addition to Lightroom. (Lightroom is both a cataloguing program and a processing program.)

Also, Lightroom (and Photoshop) can be "rented" on a monthly basis, or Lightroom can be purchased.

Lightroom has a significant learning curve. I bought the book "Adobe Lightroom 4 — The Missing FAQ" by Victoria Bampton, who has a website at The Lightroom Queen ? Tips, Tutorials & Troubleshooting for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Perhaps your public library has a good, current book on Lightroom. Also, some tutorials are available online .

The Nik Collection is, in my humble opinion, an excellent suite of processing programs and recently has been offered free of charge. That offer comes from Google, the owner. (Nik should not be confused with Nikon.)

I also use an older version of Photoshop Elements (instead of Photoshop).

At some point, you might want to explore additional software, such as some of the programs from Topaz. I also occasionally use Smart Photo Editor.

Best wishes,
Stu