Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #16
HAC

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you end up with a K-1, for your stated use case I would get the D-FA 24~70/2.8 ZOOM. You can accomplish everything you need to for family vacation photos other than capture your children when they're 50 yards away.

But I'd ask myself whether such a choice isn't overkill when a K-3 and your DA40/2.8 Limited plus used DA21 plus DA50/1.8 can do about the same for 1/3 the money.
Thanks a lot for your help

08-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #17
HAC

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I don't want to be the one seen as discouraging you from buying anything, but honestly, if you need convincing that the K1 is right for you, it's not right for you.
SLR's by nature are not designed to be one size fits all, nor one lens for everything. You can save yourself a whole lot of money and weight and try something like the GR or its equivalent.
If you don't like the idea of changing lenses, if you want just a general purpose all around travel snapshot camera and if budget is an issue, you don't want a DSLR.
For the cost of the K1 plus a really good zoom, you can get a very good point and shoot and take a family of 3 to Disneyland. I think that's money better spent and you still get a camera that suits your needs.
08-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #18
HAC

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
Welcome to the forums, Hachim. I think the K-1 might be a lot more camera than you bargained for. Do you really need 36 MP pictures? Are you going to have enough room in your computer to store all the photos you take? Can your computer handle the processing of such large files? Do you really need all the functions that the K-1 has to offer? Are you really going to use the camera to its full potential? Are you not satisfied with the image quality that Pentax's APS-C bodies produce?

Also, the K-1 isn't even out yet, so I'm not sure if anyone can honestly comment on the performance of the K-1 in real life. (Not sure if experiences with demo models count.)

If you want a fantastic camera at a great price that you can afford, by all means, go for the K-1. Just keep in mind that Pentax already has fantastic cameras out there in the market that will more than likely satisfy your needs. Pair any of them up with the DA 16-85mm, and you've got a versatile weather resistant travel kit.