Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

Hi from the US

Hi guys, I found this forum while searching for reviews and such for equipment. The only DSLR I've ever owned is a Sony A330 which doesn't get as much use these days. I'm looking to purchase a new camera, but I'm still deciding between a D7100 or K-3. Right now I'm just waiting for the right price to make the jump, but hopefully I'll join the Pentax family. Just seems like you guys have a very supportive community here!

04-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! Both cameras are excellent of course, but if you go down the Pentax route you can count on us to give you all the help you need

What kinds of things are you looking to shoot?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joyhzc Quote
Hi guys, I found this forum while searching for reviews and such for equipment. The only DSLR I've ever owned is a Sony A330 which doesn't get as much use these days. I'm looking to purchase a new camera, but I'm still deciding between a D7100 or K-3. Right now I'm just waiting for the right price to make the jump, but hopefully I'll join the Pentax family. Just seems like you guys have a very supportive community here!
Welcome to the forum!

I have a few cameras from different manufacturers, but only one forum I regularly use, and that's this one Seriously, Ricoh should publicise the fact that this forum exists... I've learned so much here, and had so much assistance (as well as a lot of fun). Where possible, I now try to give back, and most members here are also very liberal and helpful with advice. One of my other cameras is basically a Sony internally, and while there are several Sony forums on the internet, I can tell you they pale into insignificance compared to this one. PentaxForums is actually a great reason to go with a Pentax camera, as you can learn an awful lot about photography generally as well as gaining knowledge that's specific to Pentax cameras and lenses...

All that said, both the D7100 and K-3 are great cameras - you can't go wrong with either. If you happen to choose the K-3, you'll be in very good company here
04-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, if you choose to go the Pentax route... we are all available here, to help you spend your money.

04-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome aboard! Both cameras are excellent of course, but if you go down the Pentax route you can count on us to give you all the help you need

What kinds of things are you looking to shoot?
I'm mainly interested in street photography and overall documenting my travels. Every year my family and I visit China, but this year is particularly special because we're visiting the countryside, so I think it's a good time to invest in a new camera.
04-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by joyhzc Quote
I'm mainly interested in street photography and overall documenting my travels. Every year my family and I visit China, but this year is particularly special because we're visiting the countryside, so I think it's a good time to invest in a new camera.
The limited primes certainly come to mind for that purpose

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The limited primes certainly come to mind for that purpose
K-3 + DA21 = street photography heaven, dare I say?

04-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi joyhzc. Welcome to the Pentax forums. You have just had a taste of how supportive these forums are. Hope you decide to stick with us.
04-05-2016, 06:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
K-3 + DA21 = street photography heaven, dare I say?
The 21mm is a joy to use. Tiny but has plenty of contrast and a great view. Certainly it's a big difference compared with the huge zooms you too often see.

Welcome to Pentaxland!
04-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've read some like the DA 40 XS for street shooting. It gets a mention every now and then.