Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Is there room on this Pentax ship for this Canon user? (from Edmonton)

Hey all, I have been a life long canon user. I try and sell what I can to pay for the photo passion. I mostly shoot landscape, monument, wildlife (macro and tele).

I had the opportunity with my pal tomO2013 a month ago to play with the Pentax K-1 Pre production model. Wow. It checked off so many things I have disliked about my canon body. Quality of image, dynamic range, sensor stabilization, and on and on.

At the time I was looking to make bigger investment in glass. My long lens currently is 300mm with my 7d mkii (480mm equivalent on full frame), but I want bigger reach yet.

Here is why I am considering the move: although the glass options are amazing on canon and all the 3rd party lenses, Canon has been withholding features for so long and the dynamic range (especially in the shadows) has lacked. Even though they are making progress with 80d, they are years behind and they don't really care because of their market share. The thought of investing in more glass with body's that will continue to lag behind the rest, makes little sense to me.

Now there are some awesome things I love about my 7dmkii that I am concerned will be massive drop with the K1: Autofocus and facial tracking of fast moving subjects (mostly my crazy kids) but also the occasional sports shoot. It also seems to work very well on animals. 11fps raw will be missed with wildlife for sure. That seems to be about it.

In my consideration to selling everything I have and moving to Pentax, the one thing I am struggling with is the glass. The new lenses look great, but they are beyond my budget. So if anyone had an opinion on what to go after in the used or affordable new market to replace my canon glass would be great:
  • Wide angle 10-18mm (16-29mm equiv) - Landscape, would consider older manual prime.
  • Std Zoom 18-135mm (29-216mm equiv) - Great General lens, family, portraits, travel, etc.
  • Prime 40mm F2 (64mm equiv) - Thinking a used 50mm f1.4
  • Macro 100mm - nature, insects, digitizing film (absolute must have)
  • Tele 70-300mm (112-480mm equiv) - would like low apature 70-200 plus the super tele on the next line.
  • wish list super tele - autofocus requird, prime or zoom 400mm +

Thanks in advance,
Darcy

04-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
Closed Account

Hi Darcy. Welcome to the Pentax forums and Pentax equipment. I won't offer you any recommendations as many members have a greater knowledge than I. Sit back and wait for the avalanche of advice. Good luck.
04-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Darcy Quote
Hey all, I have been a life long canon user. I try and sell what I can to pay for the photo passion. I mostly shoot landscape, monument, wildlife (macro and tele).

I had the opportunity with my pal tomO2013 a month ago to play with the Pentax K-1 Pre production model. Wow. It checked off so many things I have disliked about my canon body. Quality of image, dynamic range, sensor stabilization, and on and on.

At the time I was looking to make bigger investment in glass. My long lens currently is 300mm with my 7d mkii (480mm equivalent on full frame), but I want bigger reach yet.

Here is why I am considering the move: although the glass options are amazing on canon and all the 3rd party lenses, Canon has been withholding features for so long and the dynamic range (especially in the shadows) has lacked. Even though they are making progress with 80d, they are years behind and they don't really care because of their market share. The thought of investing in more glass with body's that will continue to lag behind the rest, makes little sense to me.

Now there are some awesome things I love about my 7dmkii that I am concerned will be massive drop with the K1: Autofocus and facial tracking of fast moving subjects (mostly my crazy kids) but also the occasional sports shoot. It also seems to work very well on animals. 11fps raw will be missed with wildlife for sure. That seems to be about it.

In my consideration to selling everything I have and moving to Pentax, the one thing I am struggling with is the glass. The new lenses look great, but they are beyond my budget. So if anyone had an opinion on what to go after in the used or affordable new market to replace my canon glass would be great:
  • Wide angle 10-18mm (16-29mm equiv) - Landscape, would consider older manual prime.
  • Std Zoom 18-135mm (29-216mm equiv) - Great General lens, family, portraits, travel, etc.
  • Tele 70-300mm (112-480mm equiv) - would like low apature 70-200 plus the super tele on the next line.

Thanks in advance,
Darcy
So you want the K-1?

Here are some budget-friendly options:
Ultra-wide: Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database (second-hand)
Standard: HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Prime: the 50mm F1.4 is a good choice
Macro: SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database (very affordable new at the moment)
Tele: Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Super tele: this will be the hardest to satisfy on a budget, and probably an area in which your 7D will do better. Legacy manual focus lenses like the K 500mm F4.5. If you want AF look at the FA* 400mm F5.6.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-07-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1- lots of 28mm manual primes available
2- 28-200 zoom? There is a couple but nothing very good that I have seen
3- lots of 50mm 1.4 glass both manual and AF
4- dfa100mm 2.8 as good as any out there
5- 70-200 is available both new and used. DFA 150-450 is also there
6- outside of rare and expensive legacy glass the DA 560 and the 150-450 are about it.

---------- Post added 04-07-16 at 11:18 PM ----------

The thing is you really have to want to be a Pentax shooter. If you expect to move here and get all the glass options available elsewhere you will be disappointed.
You need to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the brand.
If it fits your needs great. But trying to make it something it is not is going to be frustrating.

04-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So you want the K-1?

Ultra-wide: Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database (second-hand)
Standard: HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Macro: SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database (very affordable new at the moment)
Tele: Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Super tele: this will be the hardest to satisfy on a budget, and probably an area in which your 7D will do better. Legacy manual focus lenses like the K 500mm F4.5. If you want AF look at the FA* 400mm F5.6.
Adam, Thanks for the quick advise.
04-08-2016, 04:58 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

[/COLOR]The thing is you really have to want to be a Pentax shooter. If you expect to move here and get all the glass options available elsewhere you will be disappointed.
You need to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the brand.
If it fits your needs great. But trying to make it something it is not is going to be frustrating.
Can you elaborate on the strengths and weaknesses?

I know video isn't strength, and that's OK with me.

When I looked at the k1, it seemed to me that it was built with the photographer in mind with the attention to detail.
04-08-2016, 05:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

When thinking focal lengths, remember that 10mm on your 7d is similar(*) to 15mm on the K-1.

(*) Because of different sensor sizes, not brands.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 04-08-2016 at 08:23 AM.
04-08-2016, 05:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the Sigma 28 and 30mm lenses are FF. I have a 28mm f1.8 macro which is very nice. The other macro I use is an FA100 f2.8 which is excellent. I do field macro in prairie settings, and it has never let me down. The newer DFA 100mm is WR, which is a good plus. Sigma's 180mm macro comes up once in a while in K-mount. It's not a common lens, as you might imagine.

Wide-angle, the Sigma 8-16 is one to watch for.

As mentioned, the long telephoto and zoom are going to be the biggest challenge. That said, they're a challenge in every system. These are NOT inexpensive lenses in any system.

Canon is losing ground, IMHO. They're pissing away the lower and mid-range market. Petax has seized on that with some excellent cameras, built much better than their competition. You can get good cameras from all the manufacturers, but do your research.
04-08-2016, 05:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The best way to get to 400 is the DA*300 and 1.4 TC.
But, even if you get a K-1, I'd seriously consider a K-3 to use for telephoto and macro.

Apart from that, Adam's post is excellent.
04-08-2016, 05:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks in advance,
Darcy
Welcome. As a life-long Nikon shooter who still shoots with a Nikon D800, I was drawn to the K-3 for its superb IQ and the unique DA* 60-250mm lens which provides a 90-380mm equivalent FOV with constant f/4 aperture -- nobody else offers anything like it. As such, I tend to use the K-3 for telephoto and macro shots while using my Nikon for normal to wide angle shots. I'm a big fan of a two-body system anyway. I may very well eventually switch to the K-1 but for now the D800 gives me everything I need @ 85mm and under. You may find that keeping your Canon body for specific shooting situations make sense (or not). Anyway, you won't be disappointed in Pentax ergonomics, build quality, image quality, or value. You might find weakness with TTL flash compared to Canon. Likewise, Pentax repair in the USA is not at the same level as Canon. Otherwise, it is all good. Good people here on this forum is icing on the cake.

Michael
04-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So you want the K-1?

Adam hits the high points. The wide angle 15-30 DFA lens is expected but it will be pricey at least at first compare to that Sigma.
There is a legacy 28-200 zoom (FA series) that my dad had and enjoyed using for a while that might fit your walkabout needs.
Primes - tons of options. I personally love my F 50 f/1.7 but the FA 43 limited is hard to ignore here also.
Many choices in Macro. DFA 50, DFA 100, F or FA versions of the 50 and 100 Macro, A series manual focus macros etc.

Super Tele options not mentioned by Adam are:

Sigma 500 f/4.5 - very expensive.
Pentax DA 560 f/5.6 - very expensive.
Pentax DA 300 f/4 with HD DA 1.4x converter - 420mm f/5.6 - fairly expensive but available used.
04-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you elaborate on the strengths and weaknesses?
For me (YMMV):
Strengths:
  • Ergonomics. Go to a store pick up a camera from Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax and just hold it. If allowed walk around the store with it your hand, take some shots, locate the buttons with your fingers. Go home with the one that feels best. That has been Pentax and I have done that three different times.
  • Weather resistance, construction. At least on the k-5 and k-3 series the impression when picking up the body is that it is better built than the competition
  • Body size. It seems that in general Pentax focuses on keeping things as small as possible. That's a plus for me, maybe not everyone.
  • Availability of a vast array of cheap vintage glass. Other brands have this as well I suppose. But it allowed me to experiment with lots of glass with little investment. Sadly (or maybe it is a good thing) those prices have gone up dramatically the last few years and the bargains are hard to find now.
  • IBIS. So all those manual lenses are stabilized
  • Astro-tracer and GPS. For what I do GPS is almost a requirement. Not everyone cares of course but if you need GPS Pentax has a good solution
  • Overall cost of ownership. A Pentax kit (for me) has always priced out cheaper than the alternatives.

Weaknesses:
  • Some might argue but the SDM motors on the DA* series particularly the 16-50 and 50-135 were not up to the billing of a * lens.
  • Lack (until recently) of good modern lenses. The DA 18-135 and the DA 16-85 both show Pentax capable of delivering a good lens that works for most average shooters
  • Lack of long fast glass. Not that I could afford it anyway but it is definitely a hole in the line up
  • No upgrade path until the K-1 was announced. Obviously not an issue any more but it was seen as a major weakness for a long time
  • Lack of third party support
  • Lack of accessories like modern extension tubes and tele-converters. Though we do have a good TC now
04-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Darcy! The more the merrier. I've used a 1D Mk II N and Mk III. There a lots of multi brand users here. Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
04-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
the Sigma 28 and 30mm lenses are FF. I have a 28mm f1.8 macro which is very nice. The other macro I use is an FA100 f2.8 which is excellent. I do field macro in prairie settings, and it has never let me down. The newer DFA 100mm is WR, which is a good plus. Sigma's 180mm macro comes up once in a while in K-mount. It's not a common lens, as you might imagine.

Wide-angle, the Sigma 8-16 is one to watch for.

As mentioned, the long telephoto and zoom are going to be the biggest challenge. That said, they're a challenge in every system. These are NOT inexpensive lenses in any system.

Canon is losing ground, IMHO. They're pissing away the lower and mid-range market. Petax has seized on that with some excellent cameras, built much better than their competition. You can get good cameras from all the manufacturers, but do your research.
Ter-or,
Thanks for the advise. I am one of those that canon is loosing...

---------- Post added 04-08-16 at 03:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The best way to get to 400 is the DA*300 and 1.4 TC.
But, even if you get a K-1, I'd seriously consider a K-3 to use for telephoto and macro.

Apart from that, Adam's post is excellent.
Normhead,
Thanks for the advise. I think in the long run I will get an apc-s in a couple years as a second body. For now I will try and land the K-1 and use the cropped capture to get to 16mpix apc-c.

---------- Post added 04-08-16 at 03:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Welcome. As a life-long Nikon shooter who still shoots with a Nikon D800, I was drawn to the K-3 for its superb IQ and the unique DA* 60-250mm lens which provides a 90-380mm equivalent FOV with constant f/4 aperture -- nobody else offers anything like it. As such, I tend to use the K-3 for telephoto and macro shots while using my Nikon for normal to wide angle shots. I'm a big fan of a two-body system anyway. I may very well eventually switch to the K-1 but for now the D800 gives me everything I need @ 85mm and under. You may find that keeping your Canon body for specific shooting situations make sense (or not). Anyway, you won't be disappointed in Pentax ergonomics, build quality, image quality, or value. You might find weakness with TTL flash compared to Canon. Likewise, Pentax repair in the USA is not at the same level as Canon. Otherwise, it is all good. Good people here on this forum is icing on the cake.

Michael
Ideally, I could keep my canon, but the cost of entertaining the K1 and lenses means I will have to sell.
04-08-2016, 09:01 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks again for the warm welcome and starting advice. Spent hours reading this site last night and tonight. Awesome accumulation of information.