Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #1

Hello from Juneau

Hello from cloudy/rainy Juneau Alaska. Most beautiful spot on the planet when you can see it.

Been using Olympus 4/3 body with Super High Grade lenses. The best incredibly tough and weather resistant gear I have used. Until I laid my hands on the K5iis. This is the body I wished Olympus had made to continue the use of SHG glass with out having to go to mirrorless. I am a landscape/wildlife photographer where weather proofing and low light performance is a must. E-3 body is as tough as it gets however poor performer in low light and high dynamic range situations. The K5 has made life much easier to get good results in a gray rainy environment. Still trying to figure out the best lens option for landscape use. Will eventually purchase the 300mm f4 for wildlife

Am considering the purchase of the FA 31mm f1.8 AL Limited. Will that give me any better performance than the HD DA 35mm f2.8 Limited? I am still learning to come to terms with Prime lenses. My favorite landscape lens is the Oly 14-35 f2.0 SHG. Rather large but worth the additional weight. Any suggestions for a 24mm or 28mm effective focal length from Pentax? I do miss the E-3 articulating screen. In my opinion a must for landscape photography. The fixed screen on the K5 is a little disappointing, however; I am getting used to it.

K-1 is looking very interesting. Does the K3 have the swivel screen? If so, may buy one of them to get that feature. Guess I will save more questions for future conversations. Very interested in learning more about the Pentax system, which at this point I am very happy with. It was this or Micro4/3rds which I have no interest in.

Any input is appreciated.

04-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! I have very fond memories of Juneau; I even named my yellow lab, Juneau!

I'll leave the lens opinions to the experts here. The K3 does not have the swivel screen, but the KS2 does. We'd love to see some of your photography here!
04-14-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglebeach Quote
Very interested in learning more about the Pentax system, which at this point I am very happy with

Hi Eaglebeach. Welcome aboard the Pentax forums. Any help or advice that you need is only a question away.
04-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Check out the FA Limited Club for shots from the FA 31, 43, and 77. Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

04-19-2016, 12:24 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglebeach Quote
Most beautiful spot on the planet when you can see it
Welcome aboard, and when you do (see it)... please share with all of us.
06-14-2016, 02:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum