Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Greetings from Norwich UK

I have quite very recently got fed up pretending Samsung galaxy is a camera therefore decided to go DSLR.

I have taken a look on one of second hand good selling websites to pick a starter kit (say Canon D350 or Nikon 3200 and ended up with mint condition set of:
K5
18-55mm +
55-300mm
Velbon tripod
umbrella stand

I have no idea what I'm doing yet but already love the camera.

All the help googled in last few days had been provided by kind members of this forum in polite informative and friendly way hence whitout any joined the group.

Hoping on gaining some knowledge and get experienced enough to take a sharp pic of the moon

VANG

04-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 147
Welcome! If you are looking to take pictures of the moon, maybe you can join an astronomy club near you for free access to large telescopes. I don't have much experience with astro photography but have heard that joining a club here in the states can help provide access to the equipment needed.

Anyway, good luck!
04-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
pjv
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
pjv's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,663
QuoteOriginally posted by Vangassen Quote
I have no idea what I'm doing yet but already love the camera.

Hi Vangassen. Welcome to the Pentax forums. You are off to a very good start !!! Help is only a question away.
04-21-2016, 11:49 PM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattieyp3 Quote
Welcome! If you are looking to take pictures of the moon, maybe you can join an astronomy club near you for free access to large telescopes. I don't have much experience with astro photography but have heard that joining a club here in the states can help provide access to the equipment needed.

Anyway, good luck!
Mattie,

I referred to the moon pic only because there is a thread about the moon pics and how difficult that is to get a sharp picture of it. I'm not much of an astronomer.

Appreciate the thought anyway.
Take care.

04-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,834
Welcome to the clubhouse!
That's a great starting kit. Have fun.
04-22-2016, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,762
QuoteOriginally posted by Vangassen Quote
I have no idea what I'm doing yet but already love the camera.
Welcome aboard, at least you admit it, many never get around to that level of realism.
04-23-2016, 02:10 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, at least you admit it, many never get around to that level of realism.
people are people.

Give me 3 months and I'll feel like a PRO too.
04-23-2016, 02:16 AM   #8
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,669
QuoteOriginally posted by Vangassen Quote
Give me 3 months and I'll feel like a PRO too.
If you manage that, please let me know your secret... I've been at this photography thing for years, and the more I learn, the more I realise how much I still don't know or understand!!

04-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norwich, Ct
Posts: 95
nothing to add in the photo realm...just greetings from the other Norwich...Norwich, Ct. USA that is...
04-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,392
Welcome to the forums.

You can use a lot of different settings to get a nice picture of the Moon. A basic suggestion for settings might be Manual mode, F11, 400 shutter speed, 400 ISO, tripod ior steady hand held, and if you find Autofocus is not giving you a good image switch to Manual focus. Probably a 300 mm lens or greater may give you a sufficient amount of image to crop, depending on the Moon size (how close it is to Earth).
04-24-2016, 02:57 AM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,762
QuoteOriginally posted by Vangassen Quote
Give me 3 months and I'll feel like a PRO too
That's grand... let me know how you get on with that.
04-24-2016, 06:26 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to the forums.

You can use a lot of different settings to get a nice picture of the Moon. A basic suggestion for settings might be Manual mode, F11, 400 shutter speed, 400 ISO, tripod ior steady hand held, and if you find Autofocus is not giving you a good image switch to Manual focus. Probably a 300 mm lens or greater may give you a sufficient amount of image to crop, depending on the Moon size (how close it is to Earth).
Will try ad soon as soon as find out how to set all to manual.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, greetings from norwich
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greetings from the UK Adie C Welcomes and Introductions 7 02-22-2016 11:06 PM
Greetings from UK KvH Welcomes and Introductions 3 01-23-2015 03:00 PM
Greetings from Gloucestershire UK. wmoore Welcomes and Introductions 3 11-26-2014 08:07 PM
Greetings from UK klikekacper Welcomes and Introductions 4 04-28-2014 08:51 AM
Hi from Norwich, UK MartinEA Welcomes and Introductions 1 10-29-2011 01:54 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top