Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

Hi Everyone

Hi everyone ! - I am a budding photographer reviving my love of photography after a long break. I'm particularly interested in macro photography and landscape photography but enjoy all types of photography. I particularly like doing under exposed shots which give a dark and mysterious feel, but also, allow for a more artful approach as there are large regions of my work which are completely dark - giving extra shape to the image and focus on subjects/objects.

I am a Pentax user from 20 years or more, but also have a Canon G15 compact camera which I utilise regularly due to its easy transportation and great results quickly and simply.

For my SLRs, I have a K20d APS-C digital camera and an MZ-50 Analog camera - and a bunch of lenses - including

Sigma 18-35 Art Series
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5 - 6.3 Autofocus
Samyang 14mm F 2.8 Wide angle with the 160mm Filter mount
Tamron 80-210mm F4.5 - 5.6
Pentax 18-55 F3.5 - 5.6 DA lens (by memory I think the body came with this lens)
Takumar SMC 50mm macro F4
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 - 6 blade
Tokina 100-300 F5.6-6.7

M42 mounts:
Takumar - 135mm F2.5,
Takumar - 200mm F4
Takumar zoom 85-210mm F 4.5 with the extra Macro lens
Russian Helios 58mm F2

I just bought a MeFoto RoadTrip A1350Q1 Travel Tripod Kit which is an amazing tripod - I don't have much knowledge of other tripods, but this one is so beautifully machined, and with a ball mount its fantastic for quick setup.

I've just read a book by Tom Ang called 'Digital Photography - Step by Step' which I can thoroughly recommend, and I probably need to re-read it several times to solidify my knowledge.

I use the Samyang 14mm and Sigma 18-55 ART alot as these are so sharp, but I also love using the Takumar 135mm Prime, the Takumar SMC 50mm macro and the Pentax 50mm F1.7. I also find the Tamron 18-200mm F3.5 - 6.3 Autofocus a fantastic lens for general walkabout lens for its versatility. I love that Pentax has such a great range of lenses available and I am so excited about the new K1 for its full frame capability, APS-C compatibility, resolution, HD movies with line input for sound, and astro-tracing features. I'm seriously considering getting it when it comes out.

I understand a lot of my lenses are not 'pro', but nonetheless, it's great fun to switch out lenses for different purposes.

I have a few questions -

1. I would like to know for my Landscape photos - what are the best filters (along with which f - numbers) to use with my Samyang 14mm 160mm filter mount - Any advice appreciated.
2. Is there a better walkabout lens (in terms of fast autofocus and sharpness) than the Tamron 18-200 ? I believe this is water resistant which is a feature I really like.
3. Is there a way of making 160mm filters work with my 18-35 sigma lens?
4. Will all of these lenses work with the new K1 ?
5. Is the autofocus on the K1 in video/movie mode continuous enough to be used without obvious focus errors and could I use the Sigma 18-35 Art effectively?
6. I don't have a flash setup - I'd like suggestions for ring flashes and remotely triggered flashes for multiple light sources
7. Would the Sigma 2* teleconverter work well with the 18-35 Art lens (including autofocus capabilities) and for the cost would it be worthwhile given the loss of 2 stops of aperture ?
8. Are there any recommendations for light meters
9. What is the best lens(es) to use for landscape photography which would work with the K20d and the K1
10. Is there a better lens than the Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM for what it does?
11. And lastly, are there any photography groups which are recommended to go around and take photography trips with ?

Thanks, and happy snapping !

Have a nice day!

Benjamin.

04-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Benjamin.
I'll just answer 4. Any k-mount lens will work with the K-1 without an adapter, but you may experience vignetting with some lenses.
04-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pizzamaker74 Quote
Hi everyone ! - I am a budding photographer reviving my love of photography after a long break

Hi pizzamaker74. Welcome back to photography and to the Pentax forums. A lovely kit you have there, so looking forward to seeing some photographs soon.
04-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi pizzamaker74. Welcome back to photography and to the Pentax forums. A lovely kit you have there, so looking forward to seeing some photographs soon.
Sure - where should I post them?

04-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #5
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pizzamaker74 Quote
Sure - where should I post them?

Hi Benjamin. You can post in the Photo Critique forum for members to suggest improvements, or in Post Your Photos forum for members to just have a look and leave general comments. Maybe check out both forums to see how they operate. Hope to see some soon.

PS. Just checked out your profile mate. Plenty of Aussies here. Welcome aboard.

Last edited by pjv; 04-24-2016 at 01:17 AM.
04-24-2016, 01:32 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome, that's quite some intro, you may get a better response to your lens questions if you post them in a different section of the forum... for example.

Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com
04-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome, that's quite some intro, you may get a better response to your lens questions if you post them in a different section of the forum... for example.

Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com
great thamks
04-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.

06-14-2016, 02:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
06-16-2016, 09:38 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum! I believe that step down rings may help, although if you use too many of them you get vignettes on your lens