Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #1

Introduction, new guy on the forum

Hi All, this is my first post on any forum. Go easy on any initiation rites (just joking).

My wife and I bought our first Pentax camera, a Spotmatic, in 1970 the year our son was born. We used it until the digital age. I bought a used ZX-M from a friend. We didn't get to really have fun with it before the brother-in-laws cat sprayed it. We bought an Optivo V-10, had fun until it quit. Last year we bought a K-50.

I recently acquired a SMC Pentax-m 1:4 200mm in good condition. I also acquired a Kiron a 80-200mm f/4 Macro, also in good condition. My question is which Pentax camera body is most compatible with each lens?

Thanks much.

Pentax70guy

04-25-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax70guy Quote
Hi All, this is my first post on any forum. Go easy on any initiation rites (just joking).

My wife and I bought our first Pentax camera, a Spotmatic, in 1970 the year our son was born. We used it until the digital age. I bought a used ZX-M from a friend. We didn't get to really have fun with it before the brother-in-laws cat sprayed it. We bought an Optivo V-10, had fun until it quit. Last year we bought a K-50.

I recently acquired a SMC Pentax-m 1:4 200mm in good condition. I also acquired a Kiron a 80-200mm f/4 Macro, also in good condition. My question is which Pentax camera body is most compatible with each lens?

Thanks much.

Pentax70guy
Welcome aboard!

Regarding manual lens compatibility, all Pentax DSLRs work the same. Newer bodies (such as your K-50) have improved live view features that make precise manual focusing easier. The full-frame Pentax K-1 will offer the same field of view as film cameras, if that's something you're interested in.

Here's our guide to using manual lenses on DSLRs:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

In a nutshell, you change one custom function, keep the camera in M mode, and use the green button to meter & obtain the correct shutter speed for the aperture you've selected on the aperture ring.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax70guy Quote

Hi Pentax70guy. Welcome to the Pentax forums. I guess we will have to put the blindfold and the paddling bats away then !!!
04-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, just one of the joys of Pentax ownership is the backwards lens compatibility.

I guess the other question would be... which lens for which type of photographic image, enjoy the finding out.