Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2016, 05:57 AM   #1

Hello Pentaxians! K10D owner with a question.

Hello Pentax world!

I'm a relatively new shooter, and I've stepped into the game with a K10D leap.

Any love for these old workhorses?
I'm extremely tentative about upgrading, because newer models don't seem to be a giant leap in image quality contrasted against the price - considering I'm a full manual film kind of dinosaur.

My favorite lens is a Rikenon 50mm F2 XR L, but I have troubles focusing when I'm running and gunning.
Would a focusing screen like help?
Pentax MI-60 AF Scale Matte Focusing Screen 38580 B&H Photo

or should I throw on a viewfinder magnifier?

Critical existential crisis - continuously,

shootfreeordiehard

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS REBEL T3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-26-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Yeah, there's still a lot of love for the K10D. In fact, there's an ongoing discussion about it that's about 124 pages long. Come join it! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/242738-k10d-club-124.html
04-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yup, I had the K10D and loved it very much.
welcome!

if you can find a split prism focusing screen, that would be good for manual focusing. The various distributors of these may have some old stock if you ask, even if not advertised on their pages.
04-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shootfreeordiehard Quote
My favorite lens is a Rikenon 50mm F2 XR L, but I have troubles focusing when I'm running and gunning.
Would a focusing screen like help?
Pentax MI-60 AF Scale Matte Focusing Screen 38580 B&H Photo

or should I throw on a viewfinder magnifier?
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Your Rikenon is a fine lens (I have two of the non-"L" version) and your K10D is a fine camera. Unfortunately, manual focus is more difficult with your dSLR using the stock focus screen than with most film SLRs. The solutions available on your camera are viewfinder magnification or an aftermarket focus screen.

Many users on this site have had good luck with addition magnification. The Pentax Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 is well-liked, though some people are also happy with various other brands (reviews HERE).

I found replacing the focus screen to be a good solution. The screen you linked to will not work with your camera (made to fit K-7, K-5/K-5II/K-3) and even if it did, would not provide better focus sensitivity than the screen that came with your camera. Pentax does not make a screen that will perform better than the stock screen, leaving aftermarket or do-it-yourself as the only options. All aftermarket screens are made by cutting screens made to fit other cameras to a size that will work with your K10D. In order to improve performance, you will need a screen with either an optimized matte surface (so-called Canon-S or S-type) or some sort of focus aide (split-image and/or microprism). A variety of options are available from focusingscreen.com that will fit your camera (my preferred merchant at present). There are also a number of eBay merchants that sell screens. There is also the do-it-yourself option of cutting down a Nikon K3 or Canon eg-S or salvaged film camera screen to fit.

Changing out to an aftermarket screen is not difficult, though it is possible that the replacement may need to be calibrated (shimmed) to work with your camera. That can be a tedious task.

Steve

(...has no relation with focusingscreen.com or any other screen merchant

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-26-2016 at 07:46 AM.
04-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

When I still had my K10 I used a split-screen. It worked great. It's a different sensor type than the new ones, and a lot of people hold it in high regard. As long as there's plenty of light, that sensor is really special.
04-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Welcome aboard!

I'm extremely tentative about upgrading, because newer models don't seem to be a giant leap in image quality contrasted against the price - considering I'm a full manual film kind of dinosaur.
The K-1 might just change your mind Another body that's worth trying (from a value perspective) would be the K-5. Its sensor still holds its ground well against the latest APS-C cameras.

Live view is an immense help, especially with manual lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome aboard, I've still got a K10D about the place here.

I'm a older manual focus lens man... so I have always got the Pentax O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe Magnifying Eyecup on my bodies and I also tend to use a split image and micro prism collar focusing screen (KatzEye versions when they were still on the go).
04-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a relatively new shooter, and I've stepped into the game with a K10D leap. Any love for these old workhorses?

Hi shootfreeordiehard. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Many members here started their " love affair " with Pentax using that camera.