Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Leica is apparently pronounced Layka.
No, it isn't. Sprichst du Deutsch? But then again some people pronounce Nikon as nigh-kon. Have fun with your layka.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-26-2016 at 05:40 PM.
06-27-2016, 04:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
No, it isn't. Sprichst du Deutsch? But then again some people pronounce Nikon as nigh-kon. Have fun with your layka.
Dude, I'm European and bilingual. Have you ever heard a European pronounce BMW? English people pronounce it "Bee eMM Double U". In Europe BMW is pronounced Beh ehm Vhe.

The alphabet in Europe is not sung out by school children as: Aye, Bee, Cee, Dee, Eee, eFF, Gee. In Europe it is: Ahh, beh, tceh, deh, ehh, feh, guh. E is pronounced ehh, not Eee

Lehh-ica, or layka. The e comes before the i. If it were Lieca then it would indeed be L-I-eca or lika.

Dude I know Europeans who shot on Layka and were correcting me on the pronunciation.

If the i was before the e then you got me. But we're talking European phonics.
06-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Dude, I'm European and bilingual. Have you ever heard a European pronounce BMW? English people pronounce it "Bee eMM Double U". In Europe BMW is pronounced Beh ehm Vhe. The alphabet in Europe is not sung out by school children as: Aye, Bee, Cee, Dee, Eee, eFF, Gee. In Europe it is: Ahh, beh, tceh, deh, ehh, feh, guh. E is pronounced ehh, not Eee
You think I'm unaware of this? I speak German, French, and English very well*.

This is something we are just going to have to agree to disagree on*, like you and your claim for the need of accessory UV/IR filters to be used on certain pentax DSLR cameras which already have them.

From a rather Teutonic pronunciation guide : [Leica] > [ˈlaɪka ] - The "E" and "I" are both short vowel sounds and both are pronounced almost identically to the way they are in common English.

Norwegians pronounce Leica as Lay-Ka, Russians have a similar pronunciation. Japanese pronounce it ['reiKa]

* and truth be told: this isn't a first, there are posts on photo.net on this very issue dating back to 2002. Hardly anyone pronounces the name of Leitz properly outside of Germany. Most people wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce Schneider Kreuznach Optische Werke.

**Russian and Spanish...not so well, but still passable.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-28-2016 at 01:55 AM.
06-28-2016, 01:43 AM   #19

Original Poster
Oi,
May i please put in my 2 bob worth?
I am also European, speak the 4 languages plus the Australian "dialect".

How about Loicafoils?

Well, that's how it would be pronounced here anyway at the bottom of the planet.
Hans

06-28-2016, 02:28 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I said it sounds too close !

Leica-liker ......Leicaphile.........Like-a-phile..........Like-a-(pedo)phile !

Definition-phile:

combining form
denoting a person or thing having a fondness for a specified thing.

So Phile means to like something.

Leica, sounds like "Like-a". So you can't like-a-like ! ............but you can Leica-like. Leica is apparently pronounced Layka. The ENGLISH speaking world mispronounce Leica as Like-a when it should be pronounced Layka.

Potato Patata ! HEY ! I'm not a Layka-liker anyway thats why I make a joke on a mother-in-law.
Just because you like a liker of something doesn't mean that liker has to "like" children (in the bad way). I think you're getting a little too obsessive about this. Perhaps you should like audiophiles, bibliophiles, cameraphiles... there's fifteen letters of the alphabet before you get to P.
06-28-2016, 08:19 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Perhaps you should like audiophiles, bibliophiles, cameraphiles... there's fifteen letters of the alphabet before you get to P.
As a pognophile, I have to say this was well put.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-28-2016 at 08:32 AM.
07-01-2016, 03:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hans Quote
Oi,
May i please put in my 2 bob worth?
I am also European, speak the 4 languages plus the Australian "dialect".

How about Loicafoils?

Well, that's how it would be pronounced here anyway at the bottom of the planet.
Hans
Leica's got more of a Sydney North Shore price tag so we might have to call John Laws to show us how he would pronounce it ! Between him selling his soul to Toyota and Valvoline of course !

Just because you like a liker of something doesn't mean that liker has to "like" children (in the bad way). I think you're getting a little too obsessive about this. Perhaps you should like audiophiles, bibliophiles, cameraphiles... there's fifteen letters of the alphabet before you get to P.
You know, I'm not sure if you can take a brand name and make a compound word with it by adding a greek suffix. Could be a linguistics no-no:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_words_suffixed_with_-phile

So its Leica ehmm Layka liker baby ! All the way. Unless someone else can find a suitable synonym ?

As a pognophile, I have to say this was well put.
And I'm a pogonophobe ! Everytime time I see a guy with a beard I look twice nowadays, you know, is he one of those guys that likes to strap things to his body - AND I AIN'T TALKING ABOUT THE THING WHICH YOU BUY FROM AN ADULT STORE ! No-siree

What was the whole point to this thread, what are we supposed to be talking about here ? I know its not beards !
07-01-2016, 03:12 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everytime time I see a guy with a beard I look twice nowadays, you know, is he one of those guys that likes to strap things to his body
There are beards and there are beards. The beard which goes with the 'splodey guys has a very distinctive look. Likewise the one which goes with the hipster types at the diametric opposite end of the political-violence spectrum, and the one worn by Western special-forces types in hot places with lots of sand. The third type probably spends much time learning the difference between the two so it can take a clean shot at the first in defence of the second when the two are in close proximity. LEARN YOUR BEARD!

07-01-2016, 03:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

There are beards and there are beards. The beard which goes with the 'splodey guys has a very distinctive look. Likewise the one which goes with the hipster types at the diametric opposite end of the political-violence spectrum, and the one worn by special-forces types in hot places with lots of sand. The third type probably spends much time learning the difference between the two so it can take a clean shot at the first in defence of the second when the two are in close proximity. LEARN YOUR BEARD!
Hey I still haven't mastered shaving !
07-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Everytime time I see a guy with a beard I look twice nowadays, you know, is he one of those guys that likes to strap things to his body
This comment is racist and prejudiced.
07-02-2016, 01:36 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Islam is not a race and the prejudice is not without foundation, given the nasty things that keep on happening in the name of that religion these days, but it was a very bad way to put it.
07-02-2016, 03:04 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every time I see Digitalis' avatar, I think of Ned Kelly.
07-02-2016, 03:19 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Every time I see Digitalis' avatar, I think of Ned Kelly.
You aren't the only one. I thought it was a colourised picture of Kelly at first.
07-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, former President of Turkey and the dude who led the military campaign against the ANZAC's, famously used to watch the ANZAC's get a shave to recuperate themselves. Atatürk famously banned beards and headscarves from Turkey. Bit of a racist pogonophobe right there aye !

Prior to the current international tensions, beards were synonymous with with bikies, dole bludgers and high school manual arts teachers ! But they had to be tall enough not to get their beards caught in the metal or wood lathes !

The only time a beard looks any good is when a man becomes a silver fox. I had an English teacher who had silver hair and a silver beard, and that looked cool. Only because he had huge discoloration on his face.

I don't like beards, I tried growing one but its itchy as hell and you can't wash your face properly. And besides, I don't want to be categorized by small minded people like myself, as a Bikie, or dole bludger or worse ...............a manual arts teacher !

No manual arts teachers are a-okay to me, they taught me never to chisel wood by directing the chiselling toward my body, incase I hammered a chisel into my guts ! Very safety conscious people, well you gotta be when your beard can get caught into any number of machines ! But I never understood why when they wore shorts, they had these super long socks that go all the way up and over their calves.