Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 08:30 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Newbie gets a deal

Hello everyone,

I've been an enthusiast ever since Jr High (Pleistocene boundary) and have thoroughly enjoyed every format of film up to 11x14. Gave all of that up and started with a dslr and a plethora of new AF zooms. Fun at first but I quickly got lazy and bored. Here I was shooting on full auto everything when I was used to setting up massive tripods, bellows, tilt, shift, spot metering, etc. What the heck happened to me? My images started to suck, thats what happened to me! I also grew sick of hauling a huge DSLR rig around, the reason I grew weary of large and medium format in the first place. Enough history.

So, longing for the old days of a rig reminiscent of my long gone Nikon FM and a 50, and knowing full well that I don't have the space or time to develop film and to print, I started researching and I just decided to pull the plug on a full frame sony A 7ii and stick exclusively to small manual primes. That brought me to a list of about 100 lenses that I could obtain, with several of the Pentax SMC lenses high on that list for many reasons.

This morning I roll up to a garage sale and start rummaging through a pile of old photo gear and this is what I found:

SMC Pentax 1:1.4/50
SMC Pentax-A 1:2 50mm
SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 28mm

All had 1-A filters installed, front and rear caps and quiet frankly about as minty as I've ever seen lenses from the 80's. focus smooth as silk, aperture rings nice and snappy as they easily click on their half stops, these lenses were well loved! Ok don't hate me, I asked the gentleman in charge of the sale how much? He responded $15 bucks for the lot! Well I almost dropped them and I said "are you sure?" he goes OK $10..... I said " No, no I mean these are worth more than that!" He thanked me for my honesty and told me that It all had to go and I could have the entire "Pile" of stuff for $25.... well I've got way to much stuff of my own and I settled for $15 for all three lenses!!! Absolute bargain of the century.

So know all I need to do is wait on my Sony camera, order the appropriate K mount to E adapter and go play!!! I am very excited and I feel very blessed to have the opportunity to give these wonderful lenses a good home and a good workout. The creative juices are already flowing. I will post my opinions and hopefully some images when I'm up and running. I'm very grateful to have found this Pentax community.

04-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! You did find a great bargain. Enjoy! If you haven't already found it: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database. , for more info and a tempting lens database.
04-30-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
04-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome!

Great bargain! Let us know how it all goes when you have a camera behind the lenses.

I think the wide to normal primes play well to the Sony's strengths of being smaller in the body than most SLRs. You've made a good choice there.

We're flattered and honoured that of all the myriad choices you have, you elected to favour Pentax.

04-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Maybe I need to start making the garage sales. . .

Your post is well-time for me, since I have been shopping for a new system, and the Sony A7 plus PK adapter is one of the options on my short list. I'm still considering a few others too, though. I hope we'll hear how that rig works out for you.
04-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you are quite glad about the deal you got. Happy shooting.
04-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome the the forum. You did better than great on that deal. Under the General Talk section of this forum there is a thread entitled Latest Acquisitions. Post a shot of your finds there.

I know what you mean about going form manual to auto everything. My shots pretty much stunk up the joint and it was frustrating. Finally I toko my K5 and attached my SMC Takumar 55mm f1.8screw mount lens on the camera and everything, including the fun, just started coming back.

04-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #8
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fenderbender Quote
All had 1-A filters installed, front and rear caps and quiet frankly about as minty as I've ever seen lenses from the 80's. focus smooth as silk, aperture rings nice and snappy as they easily click on their half stops, these lenses were well loved!

Hi fenderbender. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Looking forward to seeing some photographs from those lovely lenses you picked up.
04-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

great deal for you, congratulations and welcome!
05-01-2016, 01:14 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, lucky you with lens purchase, hopefully we'll all see some how you put them to good use.
05-19-2016, 01:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum! You are one lucky guy - at least you rescued the lenses so they may enjoy some more sunshine hours.