Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
And here I am, thanks Ross.

1.4x HD PENTAX-DA AF Rear Converter AW yielding a 77-420 f/5.6-8 (USD$450)
Sigma APO 50-500 f4-6.3 EX DG HSM OS (NZD$1850)
Pentax HD PENTAX D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 DC AW (USD$1950)

In discussion over on the NZ thread I've pretty much discounted the TC now and I'm sure I'd be happy with the Pentax 150-450, but I'm wondering whether I'd also be happy with the Sigma for substantially less money.

I'm generally in fair-to-good lighting conditions and have a fairly steady handheld stance but would consider a monopod on occasion for a bigger/heavier lens (the 55-300 is barely there as far as I am concerned). The K-5 can chuck a fair amount of ISO in, too, to keep shutter speeds snappy. I live by AF, but I time my shots so need it to be quick and accurate.

Any comments/experience appreciated.
G,day mate

I'm no lens expert. But, be aware the Pentax 150-450 has four autofocus buttons on its barrel which can't be used by cameras models earlier than K-3. I'm not sure how much that affects the overall autofocus performance of the lens, whether they are just fixed adjustments or programmable, etc. When you eventually get another camera though, at least you know the 150-450 is future proofed and those buttons can be used plus its a proper 35mm lens. Is the Sigma lens FF or only designed for APS-C? That might be the clincher.

I personally don't use a monopod for aviation, but I can see it being a bonus for Bird photos. I preferring a camera stock like the Steady Stock II for aviation:

The grip sucks. So, what I have on order at the moment is one of these to replace it:

---------- Post added 05-05-16 at 12:33 AM ----------

05-16-2016, 12:31 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglesf Quote
G,day mate

I'm no lens expert. But, be aware the Pentax 150-450 has four autofocus buttons on its barrel which can't be used by cameras models earlier than K-3. I'm not sure how much that affects the overall autofocus performance of the lens, whether they are just fixed adjustments or programmable, etc. When you eventually get another camera though, at least you know the 150-450 is future proofed and those buttons can be used plus its a proper 35mm lens. Is the Sigma lens FF or only designed for APS-C? That might be the clincher.

I personally don't use a monopod for aviation, but I can see it being a bonus for Bird photos. I preferring a camera stock like the Steady Stock II for aviation:

The grip sucks. So, what I have on order at the moment is one of these to replace it.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely further research the focus button aspect before a purchase of the 150-450. The Sigma item is indeed APS-C only. I'm not planning on a full frame any time soon, but I'd imagine that helps the imaging performance on APS-C as the edges are going to be out of frame.

Interesting idea with the stock. Never seen one of those before. Something to try out in a camera shop some time I think.
05-16-2016, 01:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 50-500 can be had for 1279 A$, on ebay from DCexpert,which is the ebay name for CR Kennedy....I think you could have a little holiday and come out even, the exchange rate isn't the best part of $600.Weatherproof covers around $30 as well.
They post free in OZ, maybe to NZ?

BTW, welcome eaglesf, you are just down the road from me( well a few hours, its a looooong road)!
05-16-2016, 03:05 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

05-16-2016, 03:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another Novocastrian

Welcome to PF
06-14-2016, 02:10 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery