Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #1

G,day from Australia

Howdy all

Longtime Pentaxian, beginning with a K1000 and pretty much stuck with that body. My thing is aviation photography and that camera performed well at many an aviation event. My new DSLR is an K-3. Though I have owned a smaller digital camera for many years (Ricoh R1 4mp), this my first foray into DSLR. Quite a leap from 35mm film!

I like to use my trusty old fully manual Exacta (Carl Zeis, Japan) 100-500mm f5.6 - f32 zoom with 1: 5.6 - 8 Macro ability over the full zoom range. This is a big heavy beast, but so reliable and takes wonderful photos. All i must do now is master my new camera to get the most out of it. Nothing like being a newbie again 30 years on!

cheers

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi eaglesf. Welcome to the Pentax forums mate. This site is full of helpful members should you need any. Good 1st photograph too !!
05-02-2016, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi eaglesf. Welcome to the Pentax forums mate. This site is full of helpful members should you need any. Good 1st photograph too !!
Howdy pjv

One of a few that turned out reasonable! This was my first airshow with the K-3 at Wings over illawarra last Sunday. Nothing like grabbing the bull by the horns and going full manual with a high tech camera! Quite an experience as I had stuffed up configuring the camera for my old lens and really paid for it. I spent a bit of forum time already working out a *some* things I did wrong and have reconfigured the setup for next time.

Because that lens is such a beast to wield, I use a camera stock with grip. My old home built one broke long ago and I purchased a Steady Stock II from B&H last year. It was OK, the grip is rubbish. I just found a pistol grip with inbuilt remote trigger, which will improve things no end and fit the 1/4" thread without mods.
05-03-2016, 12:19 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. There are a bunch of Aussies around .

Look forward to read your posts and see more shots.

05-03-2016, 12:33 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, there's quite a few excellent aircraft photographers here, you could always bounce any issues your having off them.
05-03-2016, 01:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. By the way, the lens brand is exakta, not exacta. I'll remember to use advanced post in the future so I can edit my stuff ups.
05-03-2016, 01:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Haha, welcome to the forum, I was there too with my silver K-3 and Sigma 170-500! That makes 3 Pentax user that day, spotted another guy with a white K-30.

05-03-2016, 01:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Haha, welcome to the forum, I was there too with my silver K-3 and Sigma 170-500! That makes 3 Pentax user that day, spotted another guy with a white K-30.
I got there late unfortunately, like many, thanks to the rail scheduling trackwork.

---------- Post added 03-05-16 at 06:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, there's quite a few excellent aircraft photographers here, you could always bounce any issues your having off them.
That's good to know. I need help! (My mates have told that many times).
05-03-2016, 03:50 AM   #9
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from the other side of the ditch.

I will link this thread to one of our NZ Thread members zkarj who is also an aviation photographer and enthusiast.

We have just been having a conversation on the NZ thread about which lenses are good for aviation photography, so he will be interested in your comments about the 100-500mm.

Enjoy your time here.

Ross
05-03-2016, 04:51 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Welcome from the other side of the ditch.

I will link this thread to one of our NZ Thread members zkarj who is also an aviation photographer and enthusiast.

We have just been having a conversation on the NZ thread about which lenses are good for aviation photography, so he will be interested in your comments about the 100-500mm.

Enjoy your time here.

Ross
cheers Ross
05-03-2016, 05:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from Chicago!
I haven't been to an airshow for a few years now. They aren't as good as they used to be, though maybe it's just the recession years. I have lots of airshow photos on film I should digitize from the 80s and early 90s, those were great shows.
05-03-2016, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Here's a few from my camera

Spray and pray with a K-3 is a bad idea for my HDD....
05-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Here's a few from my camera

Spray and pray with a K-3 is a bad idea for my HDD....
What glass are you using?

---------- Post added 04-05-16 at 09:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome from Chicago!
I haven't been to an airshow for a few years now. They aren't as good as they used to be, though maybe it's just the recession years. I have lots of airshow photos on film I should digitize from the 80s and early 90s, those were great shows.
I have a lot of film and slide to digitize too.
05-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglesf Quote
What glass are you using?

---------- Post added 04-05-16 at 09:07 AM ----------

I have a lot of film and slide to digitize too.
An oldie, Sigma 170-500 APO

Sigma 170-500mm F5-6.3 APO Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
05-04-2016, 02:20 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote

And here I am, thanks Ross.

I've been using the DA55-300 on my K-5 for a while, largely for aviation subjects, and once I worked out (with help from forum members) that it's best around f/11 I've been getting some great shots with it (see my sig for Flickr). But I'm also fond of bird photography and have been finding that 300mm is about bare minimum for many situations with heavy cropping required in post. So I've been looking at upgrading to something in the over-400 class and my consideration list has been as follows:

1.4x HD PENTAX-DA AF Rear Converter AW – yielding a 77-420 f/5.6-8 (USD$450)
Sigma APO 50-500 f4-6.3 EX DG HSM OS (NZD$1850)
Pentax HD PENTAX D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 DC AW (USD$1950)

In discussion over on the NZ thread I've pretty much discounted the TC now and I'm sure I'd be happy with the Pentax 150-450, but I'm wondering whether I'd also be happy with the Sigma for substantially less money.

I'm generally in fair-to-good lighting conditions and have a fairly steady handheld stance but would consider a monopod on occasion for a bigger/heavier lens (the 55-300 is barely there as far as I am concerned). The K-5 can chuck a fair amount of ISO in, too, to keep shutter speeds snappy. I live by AF, but I time my shots so need it to be quick and accurate.

Any comments/experience appreciated.