Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Greetings all. New member.

Greetings from the hot and often sunny Philippines where I am retired. My personal is David but I am also known as Lightweaver or here in the PI, Kuya David (I'm older then most people I meet. Kuya generally means "older or respected brother".)

I have shot with various Pentax cameras since the 1970's. A few I owned, most belonged to others or to employers. In the film days, my favorite was the Pentax LX. Most recently last year for a time I shot with the K3-II and 16-85mm lens. Won't go into the details of what happened to those, but I will say it was on of the most enjoyable and flexible combo's I ever shot with. I've been taking photos since age 13. By the time I got out of high school I had my own home darkroom and was shooting with 35mm. Studied photography for 2 years in college and then Joined the navy where I was a "Photographer's Mate 2nd class after 4 years" (E5) For the next several years worked several darkroom and technical photo positions including 4.5 years as a Biomedical photographer.

Through the years though I have always followed Pentax. They have had their ups and downs but when they get it right, they really get it right and have always been great innovators. I am looking forward to getting another K3-II with 16-85. I loved that combo and the lens was as close to flawless as you can get with any zoom. I do mostly travel photography these days and especially landscapes and seascapes. The 16-85 covers about 95% of what I shoot with impressive IQ. But I also like to travel light these days. Truth be known I would like a K1 but it is out of my budget. So another K3-II with the 16-85 is likely in my future. I'll post some shots in the future from my last K3-II.

05-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, hope you don't have to wait too long for your next K3-II 16-85 combo.
05-03-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum David! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
05-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, David! I shoot with a K-3II and the 20-40 which suits me down to the ground.

05-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard. One of the books in my collection of photo books is Photographer's Mate 3 & 2. Did you train at Pensacola NAS? I was there visiting their photography school on business some 28 or so years ago. The working periscope sticking out of the roof of the one building was pretty cool.
05-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from Chicago!
05-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lightweaver Quote
I'll post some shots in the future from my last K3-II.

Hi David. Welcome to the Pentax forums. You are not alone with your thoughts on the K-3II and 16-85 combo. Looking forward to seeing those photographs you are going to post.

05-04-2016, 01:02 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, hope you don't have to wait too long for your next K3-II 16-85 combo.
Thanks PJV I hope not either but at least a month I'm sure.

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Welcome to the forum David! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
Here are some from my old K3II and the amazing 16-85.

Lightweaver's Album: LIghtweaver Photos - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Welcome, David! I shoot with a K-3II and the 20-40 which suits me down to the ground.
Looks like an interesting lens, but after my previous experience I'm settled on the 16-85 for my starter replacement lens.

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Welcome aboard. One of the books in my collection of photo books is Photographer's Mate 3 & 2. Did you train at Pensacola NAS? I was there visiting their photography school on business some 28 or so years ago. The working periscope sticking out of the roof of the one building was pretty cool.
Oh yeah. I had one of those once upon a time. I did Boot Camp in Orlando but never made it to Pensacola NAS. I already had an associates degree in photography and entered designated PHAN (E3). Advanced to PH2 in just about 3.25 years. Entered near the end of the Viet Nam era, but wish I had actually made it a career. Was very highly recommended for retention. At least I would have an easier retirement if I had done that. The old Photographer's rating is gone. That and several others were all rolled into a "Multi-media" rating with various sub specialties.

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome from Chicago!
Thanks a lot. I hope to be more active once I get my hands on a new Pentax. Of course if I hit the Lotto or something it might be a K1.

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi David. Welcome to the Pentax forums. You are not alone with your thoughts on the K-3II and 16-85 combo. Looking forward to seeing those photographs you are going to post.
Yep! Here. K3-II with the 16-85. The detail capture of that combo really amazed me. Lightweaver's Album: LIghtweaver Photos - PentaxForums.com
05-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #9

Welcome aboard, I am recently new here myself and picked up a K-3II, but instead of the 16-85 wen the 20-40 LTD route.
05-06-2016, 07:42 PM - 2 Likes   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maweber Quote
Welcome aboard, I am recently new here myself and picked up a K-3II, but instead of the 16-85 wen the 20-40 LTD route.
I looked at the 20-40 and it does look like a very good lens. For my use though I am still leaning towards the 16-85 which I had with my previous. The IQ is well above average for zooms in its range, and I really liked the results I go. Then too, I want and need a wider angle and a little more telephoto for my type of shooting. I can see though why the 20-40 would serve you well. My goal is a small versatile kit. I like to travel light.

Worst part for me know is seeing some early results from the K1, it is sooo tempting. Yes larger and heavier but the increased detail is amazing. I do a lot of landscapes, seascapes, etc and also like photographing unusual or historical architecture. I have time though to consider my options so end of May is the earliest I might be able to buy. Will wait to see some results of the new Pentax FF lenses and research FF third party lenses. For landscape work, the K1 would be a dream.

Decisions, decisions.....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Lightweaver Quote
I looked at the 20-40 and it does look like a very good lens. For my use though I am still leaning towards the 16-85 which I had with my previous. The IQ is well above average for zooms in its range, and I really liked the results I go. Then too, I want and need a wider angle and a little more telephoto for my type of shooting. I can see though why the 20-40 would serve you well. My goal is a small versatile kit. I like to travel light.

Worst part for me know is seeing some early results from the K1, it is sooo tempting. Yes larger and heavier but the increased detail is amazing. I do a lot of landscapes, seascapes, etc and also like photographing unusual or historical architecture. I have time though to consider my options so end of May is the earliest I might be able to buy. Will wait to see some results of the new Pentax FF lenses and research FF third party lenses. For landscape work, the K1 would be a dream.

Decisions, decisions.....
The early results from the K1 are tempting, but I actually have to bring this out of more than a hobby before I can convince the significant other to allow such a purchase.
05-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maweber Quote
The early results from the K1 are tempting, but I actually have to bring this out of more than a hobby before I can convince the significant other to allow such a purchase.
I only have to convince myself. But I will wait. Getting another K3-II with the 16-85 lens like I had before will meet all my needs for the time being and will give some time for the K1 system to mature. I think it will do well.
05-10-2016, 05:05 AM   #13
smf
Pentaxian

Welcome, best wishes, and thanks for your service.
05-19-2016, 12:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your photography.
06-14-2016, 02:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum