Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10
Greetings all. New member.

Greetings from the hot and often sunny Philippines where I am retired. My personal is David but I am also known as Lightweaver or here in the PI, Kuya David (I'm older then most people I meet. Kuya generally means "older or respected brother".)

I have shot with various Pentax cameras since the 1970's. A few I owned, most belonged to others or to employers. In the film days, my favorite was the Pentax LX. Most recently last year for a time I shot with the K3-II and 16-85mm lens. Won't go into the details of what happened to those, but I will say it was on of the most enjoyable and flexible combo's I ever shot with. I've been taking photos since age 13. By the time I got out of high school I had my own home darkroom and was shooting with 35mm. Studied photography for 2 years in college and then Joined the navy where I was a "Photographer's Mate 2nd class after 4 years" (E5) For the next several years worked several darkroom and technical photo positions including 4.5 years as a Biomedical photographer.

Through the years though I have always followed Pentax. They have had their ups and downs but when they get it right, they really get it right and have always been great innovators. I am looking forward to getting another K3-II with 16-85. I loved that combo and the lens was as close to flawless as you can get with any zoom. I do mostly travel photography these days and especially landscapes and seascapes. The 16-85 covers about 95% of what I shoot with impressive IQ. But I also like to travel light these days. Truth be known I would like a K1 but it is out of my budget. So another K3-II with the 16-85 is likely in my future. I'll post some shots in the future from my last K3-II.

05-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30,585
Welcome to the forum, hope you don't have to wait too long for your next K3-II 16-85 combo.
05-03-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,588
Welcome to the forum David! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
05-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
Senior Member
microlight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern UK
Posts: 264
Welcome, David! I shoot with a K-3II and the 20-40 which suits me down to the ground.

05-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,812
Welcome aboard. One of the books in my collection of photo books is Photographer's Mate 3 & 2. Did you train at Pensacola NAS? I was there visiting their photography school on business some 28 or so years ago. The working periscope sticking out of the roof of the one building was pretty cool.
05-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,413
Welcome from Chicago!
05-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
pjv
Eager To Learn
pjv's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,565
QuoteOriginally posted by Lightweaver Quote
I'll post some shots in the future from my last K3-II.

Hi David. Welcome to the Pentax forums. You are not alone with your thoughts on the K-3II and 16-85 combo. Looking forward to seeing those photographs you are going to post.
05-04-2016, 01:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, hope you don't have to wait too long for your next K3-II 16-85 combo.
Thanks PJV I hope not either but at least a month I'm sure.

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Welcome to the forum David! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
Here are some from my old K3II and the amazing 16-85.

Lightweaver's Album: LIghtweaver Photos - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Welcome, David! I shoot with a K-3II and the 20-40 which suits me down to the ground.
Looks like an interesting lens, but after my previous experience I'm settled on the 16-85 for my starter replacement lens.

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Welcome aboard. One of the books in my collection of photo books is Photographer's Mate 3 & 2. Did you train at Pensacola NAS? I was there visiting their photography school on business some 28 or so years ago. The working periscope sticking out of the roof of the one building was pretty cool.
Oh yeah. I had one of those once upon a time. I did Boot Camp in Orlando but never made it to Pensacola NAS. I already had an associates degree in photography and entered designated PHAN (E3). Advanced to PH2 in just about 3.25 years. Entered near the end of the Viet Nam era, but wish I had actually made it a career. Was very highly recommended for retention. At least I would have an easier retirement if I had done that. The old Photographer's rating is gone. That and several others were all rolled into a "Multi-media" rating with various sub specialties.

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome from Chicago!
Thanks a lot. I hope to be more active once I get my hands on a new Pentax. Of course if I hit the Lotto or something it might be a K1.

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi David. Welcome to the Pentax forums. You are not alone with your thoughts on the K-3II and 16-85 combo. Looking forward to seeing those photographs you are going to post.
Yep! Here. K3-II with the 16-85. The detail capture of that combo really amazed me. Lightweaver's Album: LIghtweaver Photos - PentaxForums.com

05-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Posts: 11
Welcome aboard, I am recently new here myself and picked up a K-3II, but instead of the 16-85 wen the 20-40 LTD route.
05-06-2016, 07:42 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maweber Quote
Welcome aboard, I am recently new here myself and picked up a K-3II, but instead of the 16-85 wen the 20-40 LTD route.
I looked at the 20-40 and it does look like a very good lens. For my use though I am still leaning towards the 16-85 which I had with my previous. The IQ is well above average for zooms in its range, and I really liked the results I go. Then too, I want and need a wider angle and a little more telephoto for my type of shooting. I can see though why the 20-40 would serve you well. My goal is a small versatile kit. I like to travel light.

Worst part for me know is seeing some early results from the K1, it is sooo tempting. Yes larger and heavier but the increased detail is amazing. I do a lot of landscapes, seascapes, etc and also like photographing unusual or historical architecture. I have time though to consider my options so end of May is the earliest I might be able to buy. Will wait to see some results of the new Pentax FF lenses and research FF third party lenses. For landscape work, the K1 would be a dream.

Decisions, decisions.....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #11
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Posts: 11
QuoteOriginally posted by Lightweaver Quote
I looked at the 20-40 and it does look like a very good lens. For my use though I am still leaning towards the 16-85 which I had with my previous. The IQ is well above average for zooms in its range, and I really liked the results I go. Then too, I want and need a wider angle and a little more telephoto for my type of shooting. I can see though why the 20-40 would serve you well. My goal is a small versatile kit. I like to travel light.

Worst part for me know is seeing some early results from the K1, it is sooo tempting. Yes larger and heavier but the increased detail is amazing. I do a lot of landscapes, seascapes, etc and also like photographing unusual or historical architecture. I have time though to consider my options so end of May is the earliest I might be able to buy. Will wait to see some results of the new Pentax FF lenses and research FF third party lenses. For landscape work, the K1 would be a dream.

Decisions, decisions.....
The early results from the K1 are tempting, but I actually have to bring this out of more than a hobby before I can convince the significant other to allow such a purchase.
05-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maweber Quote
The early results from the K1 are tempting, but I actually have to bring this out of more than a hobby before I can convince the significant other to allow such a purchase.
I only have to convince myself. But I will wait. Getting another K3-II with the 16-85 lens like I had before will meet all my needs for the time being and will give some time for the K1 system to mature. I think it will do well.
05-10-2016, 05:05 AM   #13
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
smf's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Midland, MI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,356
Welcome, best wishes, and thanks for your service.
05-19-2016, 12:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian
debakarma's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,269
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your photography.
06-14-2016, 02:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
beachgardener's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,927
G'day mate and welcome to the forum
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
books, darkroom, david, days, forum, future, hope, k-3ii, k3-ii, lens, member, nas, new, pentax, philippines, photography, post, shot, thanks, time, travel
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greetings new member long time pentaxian. StephenD Welcomes and Introductions 8 04-10-2016 08:55 AM
Greetings all. I'm new to the forum. donlass Welcomes and Introductions 7 12-20-2015 01:30 PM
Hi all!! I'm a new Italian member!! legoph Welcomes and Introductions 6 02-22-2015 03:01 AM
Greetings to all from a new member of Croatian antunad Welcomes and Introductions 4 03-27-2013 06:19 AM
Greetings From Another New Member PointLookout Welcomes and Introductions 3 07-24-2010 11:12 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top