Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2016, 10:56 PM   #1

Hello - I have just bought the Pentax K1

Hello everyone!

My name is Ruth. I live in Stockholm, Sweden but originally from the UK.

I have just bought the K1 and will today play with the camera. Can anyone recommend a sensibly priced full frame wide angle lens for this wonderful new piece of kit?

Hope to be able to post some photos later today - I hope Adobe have Camera Raw software ready for this camera...

Best

Ruth

05-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rutti66 Quote
Hello everyone!

I have just bought the K1 and will today play with the camera. Can anyone recommend a sensibly priced full frame wide angle lens for this wonderful new piece of kit?

Hope to be able to post some photos later today - I hope Adobe have Camera Raw software ready for this camera...

Best

Ruth
How wide do you want to go? Also, what's your definition of sensible?

There aren't that many new FF lenses at the moment, but most of what you can get second-hand is pretty affordable. Something like the FA 20-35mm, for instance.

Here's a full list of Pentax FF lenses up to 35mm. Hope it helps!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-05-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have just bought the K1 and will today play with the camera.

Hi Ruth. Welcome to the Pentax forums. What a wonderful way to start off you have made. Enjoy the forums and the new K-1.
05-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately ultra-wide angle lenses are quite expensive, especially FF. But as Adam suggested, the FA 20-35 is a great option that is not expensive (but they are hard to find because they are not found new). You may have to settle for the kit lens like the 28-105 or just go with an excellent third party lens like the Tamron 28-75. Whilst 28mm may not be wide enough on FF, any wider and you'd be expecting the cost to go up accordingly.

05-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You may have to settle for the kit lens like the 28-105 or just go with an excellent third party lens like the Tamron 28-75. Whilst 28mm may not be wide enough on FF, any wider and you'd be expecting the cost to go up accordingly.
I have the Tamron 28-75 and it works well on the K1, except that my copy iof 28-75 is de-centered, i.e not sharp at all on the left side of the frame on full frame, while it was not visible on K5, it became more visible but still acceptable on K3 (APSC frame), but now on the K1, I'd need either another copy of the Tamron 28-75 or get the 24-70 instead. Other than that, 2/3 center and right edge, my Tamron 28-75 render excellent IQ. I guess you just need to have a good copy.
05-05-2016, 11:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hello everyone!

Best

Ruth
Samyang 14/2.8.
05-05-2016, 11:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome Ruth.
Shoot in DNG rather than PEF and ACR will work fine.
05-06-2016, 04:12 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I have just bought the K1
You've certainly made a grand entrance! Welcome to the forums.

I don't have the K-1 yet but I will one day. In the meantime, I do shoot Pentax film bodies (full-frame naturally), and I bought this for them: Tokina SL-17 17mm f/3.5 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

That is one possible way to get you by. However, the suggestion above of a Samyang lens is also a good one, as they are current-production and the Tokina is an older lens. Be aware, though, that both are manual focus and the Tokina (at least my version) does not communicate aperture to the camera nor allow the camera to control the aperture.

If you want autofocus, the Pentax FA20-35 may be the best way to go at reasonable cost, or perhaps the FA-J-18-35 if you want things just a little wider.

05-06-2016, 04:55 AM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

My concern with mounting the FAJ series lenses on a K-1 is the IQ would not be testament to the K-1's ability. Kind of like running a fine sports car on low grade fuel (only lenses don't wear out camera's mechanisms). Probably worth investing a little more in a lens with reputable IQ.
A 14mm FF lens is super wide - might only be useful in some landscape scenarios.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
my copy iof 28-75 is de-centered
That's unfortunate - I guess we'd never know that unless we had shot with the lens on film prior. I have a good copy on APS-C, which I'm yet to find out how it will perform on the K-1 when I get it.
05-06-2016, 05:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
My concern with mounting the FAJ series lenses on a K-1 is the IQ would not be testament to the K-1's ability.
I mentioned it as an option; I accept that it may not be the best option.
05-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #11

Original Poster
First photo with my new K1 today

It is admittedly a crop sensor lens, but I used the lens without the automatic cropping so that I could get maximum pixel resolution. This was at 70mm macro. Opinions?

Best

Ruth

---------- Post added 05-06-16 at 09:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
How wide do you want to go? Also, what's your definition of sensible?

There aren't that many new FF lenses at the moment, but most of what you can get second-hand is pretty affordable. Something like the FA 20-35mm, for instance.

Here's a full list of Pentax FF lenses up to 35mm. Hope it helps!
Thanks to everyone for their welcome and tips on what lenses to go for.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, that's a grand way to make an entrance with a K1.

Just a thought if you don't mind manual focusing, there are many fine wide angle Pentax legacy lenses out there that can had for reasonable money.
05-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #13

Here's a list of Pentax K compatible lenses--sorted by focal length. Look over that the Max FLM column to see if a lens is for APS-C or Full-Frame.

Hope this helps!