Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 06:24 AM   #1

Just bought a zx-50

I am almost 50 and I just bought my first slr camera, ever! So, obviously I wanted some other stuff with it, I also purchased an inexpensive telephoto lens made by Quantaray. Now to my question, the Tele lens does not have an adapter on the camera end...it's just threaded. What do I need to make it whole? I've done some searching on Google, and think a T2 converter to Pentax K-af, might be what I need. The pictures of said item don't look right tho. Thanks for any help.

05-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

What model lens? Did you search on the model? It is either a t-mount or an M42 screwmount. If there are any levers or pins it is probably M42. Most likely a T-mount though.

T-mount and M42 threads are similar - same diameter but different pitches. What ever you do, do not force the mount onto the threads. If it starts to bind then it is the wrong thread.
05-06-2016, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, I'll let cleverer people than me answer your question, as I haven't a scoobie.
05-07-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SAMITCHELL Quote
I am almost 50 and I just bought my first slr camera, ever! So, obviously I wanted some other stuff with it, I also purchased an inexpensive telephoto lens made by Quantaray. Now to my question, the Tele lens does not have an adapter on the camera end...it's just threaded. What do I need to make it whole? I've done some searching on Google, and think a T2 converter to Pentax K-af, might be what I need. The pictures of said item don't look right tho. Thanks for any help.
If you can, tell us more about the lens and even a picture.
I don't think Quantaray made any screw mount lenses and if this is a auto focus lens with a proper Pentax mount, you need no adaptor. Are you sure the lens has a Pentax mount? Did the lens come with the camera or did you buy it in some other transaction?
I have had a few ZX-50s and ZX-60s in the past. But then I have loved all my Pentax cameras.

05-09-2016, 04:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
It is a Quantaray 400mm with a threaded end, no type of attachement to connect it to the camera...yet. Not sure how to attach pictures of it here, but I'll work on it.
05-09-2016, 04:28 AM   #6

It is a Quantaray 400mm with a threaded end, no type of attachement to connect it to the camera...yet. Not sure how to attach pictures of it here, but I'll work on it.

As a n00b I believe you may be limited for attachments, but maybe not. Been too long for me to recall. So take a pic with your smart phone. Then create a reply here and on the lower right under where it says upload photos there is a button, manage attachments.

Click it.

Follow the prompts and upload that pic as an attachment.
05-09-2016, 07:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

There's one for sale on eBay at the moment. It has a T-adapter ring on it.

As does the one pictured in the review

http://www.techtheman.com/2009/07/quantaray-400mm-f63-test-shots.html
05-10-2016, 05:14 AM   #8

Original Poster
On the road right now, when I get home I will take a pic of what I have and post it. It is a 400mm telephoto lens that looks just like the one that Not a Number posted. Except I might be missing more than one piece. Ugh. Again I'll post pics on Thursday. And thank you all, so much for your help!

05-10-2016, 06:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

What's missing? The tripod ring?

The one on sale on eBay with case and all (it looked to me) for $40 BIN ($15 shipping) when I made my earlier post. I'm tempted to buy it
05-11-2016, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

I think you are correct. If the end just has a threaded tube then a T2, Pentax K mount is needed.
This is a manual focus lens though so K-AF is unnecessary. You will put your ZX-50 in MF.
I have a very similar lens, a Five Star 500mm.
05-19-2016, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum!