Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 10:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New Member from South Florida

Hi Everyone, I've just joined the forum having succumbed to the allure of the K1, which I received a few days ago. My photography experience goes way back to the Spotmatic but I've not owned a Pentax camera for many years; all my digital equipment has been Nikon! However, I really like the K1 and am impressed with it's IQ, feature set and price, so I'm (according to my Nikon shooting friends), taking a walk on the dark side . My challenge now is acquire some good glass as the only lens I have is a $21 SMC F 35-80mm F4-5.6. Because of the in body stabilization, I'll be looking at legacy lenses preferably primes that offer great sharpness and color rendition. The lens info here is quite comprehensive and a great help. Recommendations from those with experience will be much appreciated. I'm looking forward to posting some photos soon.

05-12-2016, 11:00 PM   #2
pjv
Eager To Learn

QuoteOriginally posted by Gobuster Quote
I'm looking forward to posting some photos soon.

Hi Gobuster. Welcome to the Pentax forums. Lucky you to have the K-1 !!! We are looking forward to seeing some of your photos soon.
05-12-2016, 11:50 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, your friends forgot to tell you it is they that walk on the "dark side"... Well that's the way we Pentax folk see it.
05-13-2016, 03:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Seems like Pentax is spreading to South Florida.
Hello, and welcome.

05-19-2016, 12:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! You are making us jealous of your K1.
05-20-2016, 09:30 PM   #6

Hello and welcome! I really like your panorama that you did in your other thread! Amazing detail and well done by the photographer!

Since no one has recommended any lenses, I can give you a few ideas! If you're looking for primes, some great ones to try out would be the FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited, FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited and FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited. I only have the last one, but according to most accounts the other two are in the same league! Generally "DA" lenses are considered crop/digital lenses that don't always cover the full frame of the K-1. A few notable exceptions (you'll still have to set your K-1 to "FF mode" as it will default to crop, if in auto detect) are the DA 40mm Limited, DA*200 f/2.8 and DA*300 f/4. Right now, my favorite lens on the K-1 has been the DA*200! DA* lenses are weather-sealed, and both them and the DA Limiteds have "quick-shift" which is a manual-focus override clutch, which enables you to adjust the focus ring at any time, before or after autofocusing without damaging any focusing mechanisms.

A few other primes that are quite good would be: F or FA 28mm f/2.8, F or FA 50mm f/1.4 (the latter is available new), F or FA 135mm f/2.8. Most of these lenses will readily be found on the used market, most notably the forum marketplace! Another great lens that comes to mind is the DFA Macro 100mm f/2.8 (there is a WR and standard version).

Best of luck, and we hope you enjoy Pentax as much as we do!
05-29-2016, 11:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aikilink Quote
Hello and welcome! I really like your panorama that you did in your other thread! Amazing detail and well done by the photographer!

Since no one has recommended any lenses, I can give you a few ideas! If you're looking for primes, some great ones to try out would be the FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited, FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited and FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited. I only have the last one, but according to most accounts the other two are in the same league! Generally "DA" lenses are considered crop/digital lenses that don't always cover the full frame of the K-1. A few notable exceptions (you'll still have to set your K-1 to "FF mode" as it will default to crop, if in auto detect) are the DA 40mm Limited, DA*200 f/2.8 and DA*300 f/4. Right now, my favorite lens on the K-1 has been the DA*200! DA* lenses are weather-sealed, and both them and the DA Limiteds have "quick-shift" which is a manual-focus override clutch, which enables you to adjust the focus ring at any time, before or after autofocusing without damaging any focusing mechanisms.

A few other primes that are quite good would be: F or FA 28mm f/2.8, F or FA 50mm f/1.4 (the latter is available new), F or FA 135mm f/2.8. Most of these lenses will readily be found on the used market, most notably the forum marketplace! Another great lens that comes to mind is the DFA Macro 100mm f/2.8 (there is a WR and standard version).

Best of luck, and we hope you enjoy Pentax as much as we do!
Thanks much for the lens advice, I've been learning a lot about Pentax and am very happy with the results I'm getting from the K1. I was able to pick up an FA 50mm f1.4 and think it is wonderful. Super sharp when stopped down a bit and beautiful color rendition. I'm looking now for a 100mm f2.8 macro. Saw an older FA 28-105 (the motorized zoom version) at a good price and am surprised at how good it is. The lens came from Japan an arrived in mint condition. I'm loving that with the IBIS of the K1 I'm able to use older lenses and still get the IS benefits.
05-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum! Don't worry about that F 35-80, thing is sharp as nails, I do recommend a 49mm hood for it though. If you have any legacy glass from your spotmatic lying around, you can have some serious fun with that. The FA 28-105 you mentioned is one of my favorite lenses for shooting from my kayak, and many other times as well. I saw your images in the other thread. Looking forward to seeing some of the ones you take with the 28-105.