Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 04:13 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Hey There! from Seattle

Apparently I need to introduce myself before I can do much on the site, so here goes:

I finally got a real camera for a vacation last fall, and decided on a K-S2. The weatherproofing, stabilization, and technical depth on an entry-level camera were all appealing. After spending that trip with the kit lenses, I'm trying to collect a couple primes. I started with the FA35, and i'm looking for something wider for outdoor stuff. I'm picking up the technical stuff quickly, but composition, lighting, and the rest of the "art" side more difficult. I've taken a class, but if anyone has suggestions on how else to improve (in additon to practice), I'd appreciate the advice - just looking around this community has been incredibly helpful so far.

05-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cfrpcopy Quote
I'm picking up the technical stuff quickly, but composition, lighting, and the rest of the "art" side more difficult.

Hi cfrpcopy. Welcome to the Pentax forums. I know exactly where you are coming from !!! No magic bullet unfortunately, just practice, practice and more practice.
05-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images posted here.
05-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. There are a lot of factors which can differ with different scenes. With landscape I usually try to have depth (F Stop) to accomodate the scene, Shutter Speed to account for how any movement is going to be intrepreted, and a good ISO to avoid graininess. I have found that use of + or - EV is an effective tool when shooting also. You may/probably already know this, just thought I would mention it.

Practice (trial and error) in different circumstances has taught me and still does what actually works and what doesn't.

Happy shooting.

05-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, now your here on a more "formal" basis, well at least we all know your there now, enjoy all it has to offer.
05-19-2016, 12:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
05-19-2016, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Lynda.com!

QuoteOriginally posted by cfrpcopy Quote
Apparently I need to introduce myself before I can do much on the site, so here goes:

I finally got a real camera for a vacation last fall, and decided on a K-S2. The weatherproofing, stabilization, and technical depth on an entry-level camera were all appealing. After spending that trip with the kit lenses, I'm trying to collect a couple primes. I started with the FA35, and i'm looking for something wider for outdoor stuff. I'm picking up the technical stuff quickly, but composition, lighting, and the rest of the "art" side more difficult. I've taken a class, but if anyone has suggestions on how else to improve (in additon to practice), I'd appreciate the advice - just looking around this community has been incredibly helpful so far.
No, there's no pictures of naked ladies, you naughty boy, it's a video tutorial website, filled with AMAZING stuff. And, at least in Canada, your local LIBRARY CARD gives you access to it FOR FREE! It's normally 30 bucks a month, and worth it, the tutorials are FABULOUS, on everything computers related, including the basics of photography. There's 10's of thousands of hours of instruction there. I go to my local library website, look for the Lynda portal, enter my library card and password, and I'm in. And I'm talking about FROM HOME, the beach, Starbucks, anywhere; you don't have to be at the library. See if Seattle area libraries give you access (I don't see why not). It's fabulous. There's basic photographic stuff, as well as thousands of hours on every conceivable computer imaging program, from photoshop, to lightroom, etc. Good luck, man!

There's also a TON of free stuff on YouTube, as well as some of the big phot sites, like Preview, Luminous Landscape, and even B&H & Adorama

B&H:

B&H Videos | Watch & Learn about Photography, Video and Pro Audio

Adorama:

Home - ALC

YouTube: SLR Lounge channel (fabulous stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOO4twNsXoAC9EPqg3L-iTg6zspoI8yxX

And join a camera or photo club; there's nothing better than learning from other people and getting your stuff critiqued on a regular basis.

Cheers,
Cameron