Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 05:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

hello from Castlemaine

Hi. I live near Melbourne and have been following the development of the FF Pentax dslr over the last year or so. I purchased a Pentax P30n in the early 90s and mostly shot outdoor nature photography with K64 slide film. A number of lenses were gathered along the way including a K 24mm f3.5, M50mm f1.4, A*300mm f4 as well as a Sigma apo 70-210 f3.5-4.5. I was fortunate enough to have some good mentors who taught me some good habits. Use a tripod, cable release, put a small dot in the bottom left hand corner of the slide mount! etc They also demonstrated a passion for the subject matter and a willingness to sacrifice time and comfort to achieve their goals. My circumstances changed and photography slipped into the background for years until I searched the net and started to read Pentax Forums. Two weeks ago I made some enquiries about the K1 at Ted's. They said they would text me when the K1 arrived. The next day I received a text saying one had been put aside for me:-o I am now the proud owner of a K1. That's jumping in the deep end hay? First impressions? WOW so much to learn but manual focus and using the green button is easier than it looks in the videos. I can set the camera to manual and the smart dial to ISO. That's great, being able to adjust ISO on the go. I've only taken a few test shots for the moment I'm a little unwell. I have snapped up the D FA 100mm f2.8 macro to go with the K1 and will be adding primes as Pentax release new D FA lenses. I'm keen to test my old glass too. cheers and a big thank you to this forum for helping to revive an old passion. Honestly if it wasn't for this forum I would not have had the courage to take this step.

05-14-2016, 05:36 AM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Pentax forums mate.
05-14-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
05-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some of your images posted here.

05-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard. You have a lot of company down there with you,
05-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome aboard, are you where the "Four X" beer comes from? as there used to be here in the UK a great series of adverts full of Aussie humour for Castlemaine XXXX beer, this ones my favourite.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ua...7khysig2UUBddg
05-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, are you where the "Four X" beer comes from?
Wash your mouth out KD (XXXX will do for that). Unfortunately some brewery in Queensland used the name for its dreadful industrial product.

Castlemaine is a lovely town in central Victoria (about 120km north of Melbourne). It built in the gold rush on a grand scale during the gold rushes of the 1850s.

Welcome @BROO. If you love nature photography, you're in a great area for it. And you've got a fine macro in the 100.

The A*300 should be wonderful on the K-1. You can swap notes with @Kerrowdown.

One of my few claims to fame on this forum - and the thing I'm most proud of - is suggesting the name Duchess for Kerrowdown's A*300 f4.
05-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Actually there is warehouse here that was the original Castlemaine xxxx brewery before they moved to Queensland....
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I know I have a lot to learn so I'm off to get some raw files today so I can familiarise myself with PS and Lightroom. Cheers

05-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Actually there is warehouse here that was the original Castlemaine xxxx brewery before they moved to Queensland....
But I'm sure it was proper beer then!

Good luck with tackling LR and PS. Plenty of help available here if you have any questions.
05-15-2016, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Wash your mouth out KD (XXXX will do for that)
I can think of better local spirits to do that with.

he A*300 should be wonderful on the K-1. You can swap notes with @Kerrowdown.
Happy so far ... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/12-post-your-photos/309369d14...-time-play.jpg

One of my few claims to fame on this forum - and the thing I'm most proud of - is suggesting the name Duchess for Kerrowdown's A*300 f4.
It's more infamous than famous being associated with that old Kerrowdown.

BTW any suggestions for the K1, who is now taking over and getting all these "Ladies" under control... I think it should be a nobleman title of some sort.
05-15-2016, 12:05 AM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I'm off to get some raw files today so I can familiarise myself with PS and Lightroom
Enjoy the PP, it can quite amazing what can be achieved with the software you have there.
05-19-2016, 12:24 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!