Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Potential Pentaxian ?

Hi all. I am Kevin from Tampa and would like some opinions on lens choices for the new K1. I am a loyal Nikon guy with a D7100 that I love and am going to keep. Gonna keep the glass too. Planned to move to full frame with the D750 but renting it left me un-enthused. The new Pentax K1 caught my eye and now I'm pretty sure the brown truck will visit B&H again for me. My questions are pretty simple: I know nothing about Pentax glass except what i have read/seen/googled in the last few weeks..... and the legendary Pentax longevity .... and I can't afford to purchase the three new lenses announced with the camera. (Zooms don't particularly interest me anyway)
My plan is to buy only primes for the K1. Although there will be some duplication with the 7100, I was thinking 35, 50, and 85 as a good start. Fast is good but second to IQ. I shoot primarily nature, harbor scenes and, of course, my grandkids. We like to cruise and I shoot tons of interior shots on the ship because it has always interested me. When I started looking for used lenses on line I was flabbergasted to find literally dozens of similar spec Pentax lenseswith different part numbers. B&H has a new 50mm 1.8 for 110 bucks while used slower 50mm lenses for much more $$$ abound on-line.
I would like to know if there is a consensus among Pentaxians about particular lenses. I am a member of Nikonians, too and I know a question like that invites abuse and hugely varying opinions. I am hoping to hear something like "wow, ya just gotta get the model xxx 100mm" or similar. BTW, third party lenses are fine. I have a Sigma that I love.
Sorry this post is so long winded: i'd just like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

05-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you need the 3 amigos. Fa 31, 43 and 77. I can personally vouch for the 31 and 77. Welcome aboard!!!
05-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at these sections here as a start... plenty of good information there on all manner of lenses.

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database
05-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

The FA 77 Limited is awesome on the K-1. It has always been my favorite lens on APS-C and I love it even more on full frame. It is very sharp wide open and the bokeh is lovely. Legendary lens.

05-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I transitioned from Nikon to Pentax ages ago. I also owned the legendary 105's and the 180's at one time on that platform. I still have my Nikkormat FT3 and a Nikon 50 f/2.

That said, the A* 85 which I sold to fund my acquisition of the FA 77 Limited was the singlemost awesome 85mm I have ever used. The lens is manual focus however and eventually that became too hard for me given age and eye issues. So I "settled" for the 77. It was not much of a settling. The FA 77 is stunning and excels in all ways that matter to me. I am shooting on a crop sensor so the FOV is more like a 115mm lens but this was THE portrait lens for Pentax in the film era and I trust that it will not be an issue should I go to Full Frame some day.

So rather than 85mm f/1.4 I highly recommend the FA 77 Limited f/1.8.

As for the 35 and 50, Pentax took a slightly wider stance on those also. The FA 43 Limited is the "true normal" lens based on the diagonal of the 24x36mm format and it has unique rendering that people seem to love. It is also rationally fast at f/1.9. The 35mm slot was filled with the legendary FA 31 Limited which is also an f/1.8 lens. This Trio (the Three Amigo's) is the prime trio of choice in Pentax-land. All three are older designs with screwdrive focus and all have some CA issues but the amount is minor and corrects easily in post.

Other options include Sigma ART series, Zeiss ZK lenses etc.

The amigo's are hard to beat. Another option would be the DFA 100 macro (f2.8) if macro is part of your photography but I would prefer the FA 77 over that for most non-macro use.
05-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #6
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Kevin. Welcome to the Pentax forums. I will just say " hello " and leave the lens speak to those in the know !! As you are seeing 1st hand, a friendly knowledgeable bunch here. Good luck.