Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrvs666 Quote
I was so ready to purchase the new Canon 5DSR last year but just could not pull the trigger on a camera that lost most of its dynamic range but boasted a whopping 50 megapixels. So I waited. My previous disappointment was when my the 5dMK3 came out just a half a megapixel greater than my 5DM2 and didn't offer any advantage for the type of photography I do. So in the interim I purchased a 6D for astrophotography and then purchased a 7DMK2 for a backup. All good cameras and I have had some great shots. I am going to purchase the K1 and a couple of lenses from B and H and give it a shot. I am pretty enthused by the specs and the dynamic range. For the lenses I use I think I will do great with the fast lens selection recommended for the new camera. I currently shoot a 16-35 f2.8 LII, a 24-105 f4 L4, and a 70-200 2.8L LII. If the K1 performs as per the new specs and reviews I will sell the lot, 3 bodies, all the lenses, and change.

I currently shoot mostly Manual, Manual focus, and on a tripod. The most important thing to me is sharpness and dynamic range.

You may have already seen this, but I thought this great. This was shot with the Pentax 645Z. Great time lapse photography (some night scenes) video in the thread titled:
8K Time Lapse Shot on 645Z

05-20-2016, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrvs666 Quote
Losing my religion
I was so ready to purchase the new Canon 5DSR last year but just could not pull the trigger on a camera that lost most of its dynamic range but boasted a whopping 50 megapixels. So I waited. My previous disappointment was when my the 5dMK3 came out just a half a megapixel greater than my 5DM2 and didn't offer any advantage for the type of photography I do. So in the interim I purchased a 6D for astrophotography and then purchased a 7DMK2 for a backup. All good cameras and I have had some great shots. I am going to purchase the K1 and a couple of lenses from B and H and give it a shot. I am pretty enthused by the specs and the dynamic range. For the lenses I use I think I will do great with the fast lens selection recommended for the new camera. I currently shoot a 16-35 f2.8 LII, a 24-105 f4 L4, and a 70-200 2.8L LII. If the K1 performs as per the new specs and reviews I will sell the lot, 3 bodies, all the lenses, and change.

I currently shoot mostly Manual, Manual focus, and on a tripod. The most important thing to me is sharpness and dynamic range.
Losing my religion ........... thats funny, but it's exactly like that over in canikon land ....... a religion. I was worshiping at the temple of Nikon for a time, until I started looking around at what the other manufacturers had on offer. Better value for money I thought with Sony, yeah great little camera, and so much better than equivalent Nikons and Canons. I continued to research and was utterly blown away by the K-5's image quality and 3D effect and I bought one, low and behold i sold the 24mp Sony in favor of the 16mp K-5 but despite losing 8 mp's, the images were so much better. Pentax was the only brand I went all in on, based in the quality of rendering from Pentax Prime's processing.

Pentax is not a religion ..... it can be if you want it to be, but its not a good idea, because they're only cameras .......... its about being practical. Its about having a few tricks up your sleeve like astrotracer, IBIS, actual rain resistance with DA*, and now Pixel shift.

There's a guy on youtube called Ed at "Photouniverse" and he uses Pentax and a few other brands. He made some videos when he switched back to Canon with a 6D, then after he got a K-3ii and saw pixel shift beat his 6D on sharpness for his landscapes, he went back to Pentax. Then he switched to Fuji X-pro2, then that was no good, then X-pro 1, and now its a matter of waiting till he gets a K-1. He's a good guy, with some good advice.

The "Camera Store" has a review on the K-1 now with a dude that shoots the 645Z. They seemed to think the K-1 with the pixel shift does come close to the 645Z, and that the dynamic range of the k-1 was really close too.

Considering that the K-3ii on pixel shift with a cheapo Tamron 17-50 can beat the 6D with L glass, I think the K-1 will comprehensively out sharpen and dynamic range a 6D, and challenge a 5Dsr......... for much less loot !

All in all, I think you'll be real happy with Pentax, because of no AA filters messing up your sharpness. The color accuracy of Pentax's Prime image processing is similar to Canon full frame, only I feel that Prime is more organic looking, and its "What you see is what you get", where as Canon's Digic looks a little digitized in the 5D and APS-C range. Pentax has got some real sharp lenses so I doubt that you'll be disappointed.

Good luck with your decision.