Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 10:02 PM - 8 Likes   #1

Losing my religion

I was so ready to purchase the new Canon 5DSR last year but just could not pull the trigger on a camera that lost most of its dynamic range but boasted a whopping 50 megapixels. So I waited. My previous disappointment was when my the 5dMK3 came out just a half a megapixel greater than my 5DM2 and didn't offer any advantage for the type of photography I do. So in the interim I purchased a 6D for astrophotography and then purchased a 7DMK2 for a backup. All good cameras and I have had some great shots. I am going to purchase the K1 and a couple of lenses from B and H and give it a shot. I am pretty enthused by the specs and the dynamic range. For the lenses I use I think I will do great with the fast lens selection recommended for the new camera. I currently shoot a 16-35 f2.8 LII, a 24-105 f4 L4, and a 70-200 2.8L LII. If the K1 performs as per the new specs and reviews I will sell the lot, 3 bodies, all the lenses, and change.

I currently shoot mostly Manual, Manual focus, and on a tripod. The most important thing to me is sharpness and dynamic range.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 50D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
05-16-2016, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrvs666 Quote
Losing my religion

Hi ctrvs666. Welcome to the Pentax forums. The only religion practiced on these forums is " photography," and judging from your 1st photographs posted here, you will fit right in !! Lovely images.
05-16-2016, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'Day and welcome to the forums.

I can understand your attraction to the K-1 considering the types of images you capture, so hopefully your experience with Pentax will meet your expectations and then some. The new DFA's sound like they have your name on them to go with the K-1, and I for one will look forward to you posting some shots with the 15-30 if you go with this option for the role of your 16-35. This is one lens I'm looking to pick up to use on a K-1 as well.

Hooroo for now,

Tas
05-16-2016, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #4

I was so ready to purchase the new Canon 5DSR last year but just could not pull the trigger on a camera that lost most of its dynamic range but boasted a whopping 50 megapixels. So I waited. My previous disappointment was when my the 5dMK3 came out just a half a megapixel greater than my 5DM2 and didn't offer any advantage for the type of photography I do. So in the interim I purchased a 6D for astrophotography and then purchased a 7DMK2 for a backup. All good cameras and I have had some great shots. I am going to purchase the K1 and a couple of lenses from B and H and give it a shot. I am pretty enthused by the specs and the dynamic range. For the lenses I use I think I will do great with the fast lens selection recommended for the new camera. I currently shoot a 16-35 f2.8 LII, a 24-105 f4 L4, and a 70-200 2.8L LII. If the K1 performs as per the new specs and reviews I will sell the lot, 3 bodies, all the lenses, and change.

I currently shoot mostly Manual, Manual focus, and on a tripod. The most important thing to me is sharpness and dynamic range.
Great photos! Thanks for Sharing.

05-17-2016, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
If the K1 performs as per the new specs and reviews
Welcome to the forum, aye the K1 is certainly a "mover and a shaker", I think that we may see many more threads like yours now.
05-17-2016, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Those are some outstanding images!
Welcome to the forum!
I hope many folks will jump ship from Canon and Nikon as well.
05-17-2016, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome and awesome photos!

As others have said, you are welcome here, whether or not you shoot with a Pentax camera. it is just fun to share images and a hobby/profession with folks who are shooting in so many different parts of the world.

05-17-2016, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome.
This is a good place to hang out.
Enjoy the Forum and enjoy your photography, regardless of the gear you use.
05-17-2016, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome!

Since you're inretested in astrophopgraphy, you will have a lot of fun -and experimentation- with the astrotracer feature!
05-17-2016, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum....
05-17-2016, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for sharing these great images! It will be exciting to see what you come up with using the K-1 and the 15-30, in particular And as mentioned, the astrotracer will be very helpful for these kinds of photographs.
05-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments

I am looking for that extra dark sky clarity so my photos pop. I used to think "Canon, is there anything else?" But the new innovations in the K1 can't be ignored for what I need. Just waiting for some more hands on reviews and real life photos, then I'm jumping into the pond.
05-17-2016, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Welcome! Those are some amazing shots.

I currently shoot mostly Manual, Manual focus
In that case we hope to introduce you, once you have the K-1, to the wealth of manual-focus lenses we have, and which many of your fellow Canonians like to adapt to their cameras for video work. Whether K-mount or M42, it's all there for you.

As at least one other person has said, the K-1 has a built-in bias towards astrophotography; provided you don't find any deal-breakers during your tryout phase, it ought to fit you like a glove.
05-17-2016, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I am looking for that extra dark sky clarity so my photos pop. I used to think "Canon, is there anything else?" But the new innovations in the K1 can't be ignored for what I need. Just waiting for some more hands on reviews and real life photos, then I'm jumping into the pond.
Pentax is a small player. Some outlets don't feel it is a priority to give them press or reviews, so you might be waiting for a while... DPReview, for example, never even reviewed the 645Z even though they rank its sensor as the best in business. If some outlets haven't reviewed the K-1 yet, they might take a while, if they decide to review at all.

How about renting one for a week to see if it lives up to your expectation?
05-17-2016, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #15

Welcome! With your interesests, you may want to check out user name Matthew Saville. Here is a thread with his discussions about night photography.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/247596-lifelong...#ixzz48waCxHt9

Interesting and informative. Sounds like you and he are on the same path. Only he started Nikon, you with Canon. Both of you highly skilled. May your night skies be blacker, and your stars clearer.