Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #1

Salutations! ...As I cautiously enter from the Canon Camp

Greetings, it's AriDublyu, aka the original AriW (Ari M. Weinstein). Here's a bit about me, and I would love any feedback, comments, tips or jokes about my current gear.

I have been serious about photography for years, and would call myself a semi-pro; I photograph people and events at work though it's not my main job. On my own time I photograph landscapes, nature, and people both on location and in my studio.

I have a K-1 on order with Ricoh Imaging's web store.

I have been shooting Canon (7D, 5DIII) and Panasonic MFT (GX7). I love the image quality from my DSLRs, and capabilities such as wi-fi and tilting LCDs on my smaller camera. I've been looking for my next full-frame body, and the K-1 makes a ton of sense as it will deliver features that would cost me a lot more if I stick with the Canon system:

- GPS and WiFi
- Higher resolution than my best camera, the 5D Mk III
- Unique Pentax tech - pixel shifting, sensor shift
- Full backward compatibility with film lenses
- Lower total cost of ownership

I have equipment to sell to fund this, and might eventually switch over completely... I never say never! The Pentax community is also a huge incentive, I know and admire a few Pentaxians, and I'm impressed with what a great forum this seems to be.

My first lens for the K-1 will likely be the FA 43mm Limited. I like primes, and have been using them more and more. My current mantra is "simplify" and I think perhaps Pentax can help me because I can't just switch all my gear overnight, and will have to be thoughtful about new lenses and accessories.

Thanks for reading!
Ari

05-19-2016, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums! You have some really nice work there! It will be interesting to hear your view on the K-1 compared to the 5DIII. Less bulk and more heft, at least

The FA43 seems to do very well on the K-1. I'm hardly surprised - it's one of my favourite lenses on the K-3. Looking forward to seeing what you can make out of those.

Enjoy!
05-19-2016, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Ari! I've got a 43 coming next week. Looking forward to seeing some of your images posted here. Even the Canon ones.
05-19-2016, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice work on your personal website, thanks for sharing.
I can honestly say that giving the choice of any Pentax lens* to purchase first with a new K-1, I'd go for the fa 43mm ltd. as well. It's my favourite lens and to me, it performs way above it's price.

*Ok, I'm excluding some classics... with no restrictions, I'd probably go for one of those limited edition Pentax-a 50mm 1.2. The silver ones are amazing while the gold ones might be a little too flashy but I'd still take it haha.

05-19-2016, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, enjoy the K1 it's a fine piece of kit.
05-19-2016, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by AriDublyu Quote
I have a K-1 on order with Ricoh Imaging's web store.

Hi Ari. Welcome to the Pentax forums and Pentax equipment. You are certainly starting at the top with the magnificent K-1. Good luck.
05-20-2016, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Greetings, it's AriDublyu, aka the original AriW (Ari M. Weinstein). Here's a bit about me, and I would love any feedback, comments, tips or jokes about my current gear.
Your equipment is as you have stated:

I have been shooting Canon (7D, 5DIII) and Panasonic MFT (GX7). I love the image quality from my DSLRs, and capabilities such as wi-fi and tilting LCDs on my smaller camera
Feedback: 7D is pretty good, but images typically have flat colors, AF is legendary. 5Diii is very good, has 16 bit images and can look a little too busy and digitized. In general, Canon is real good, but images in APS-C look digitized and colorless, and entry level FF can look too busy and digitized. Many Canon lenses are legendary, and very highly priced. GX7 is a legend of 4k video, and its getting challenged by Sony and it could be de-crowned, we'll have to wait and see.

Tips: Seeing how you have a K-1 on pre-order, you should try it out and see if you like it. Maybe you'll hate it and send it back, or love it and keep it and get rid of your Canon gear and go all in with Pentax ........

Jokes: No jokes, you weren't kidding around when you bought your cameras, and we weren't kidding around when we bought our Pentax's. I'm partially in with Fujifilm, and enjoy it but the IQ falls down for landscapes, but portraits are great. Every camera brand has its strengths and weaknesses.